• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How do I use a worm screw on a Nova chuck?

I'm trying my first bowl. I have a Jet 1014VSI, a Nova Precision Midi chuck, and it's accompanying worm screw. This is also the first time I've used the chuck.
I can't seem to get the screw started. I used a drill to make a center hole in paduak. When I try to turn the wood blank onto the wood screw with the lathe off, it turns the screw right out of the chuck.
What am I doing wrong? I used a 3/8 drill bit . Hole is about 1/2".
ernie

Thanks for the help!

I got it to work! Two problems: hole not big enough, and I was turning the wrong way.
ernie

Website
www.mikepeacewoodturning.com
Glad you got it working.

The chuck manual calls for drilling an 8mm or 5/16" hole. Also "BEFORE FINAL TIGHTENING MAKE SURE THAT THE FRONT OF THE BOSS SECTION OF THE SCREW IS SEATED BEHIND AND AGAINST THE 50mm JAWS. This will prevent any tendency for the boss section to creep forward when the screw is being used."

This may be obvious to many but not to me the first time I used it resulting in a couple of thrown blanks. I use the worm screw a lot now.

I have found through trial and error that if you put the wood stock up next to the chuck jaws it will be more stable.
I like using mine now that i finally figured out what to do....

Good luck with your turnings.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Trial and error for the hole size. Some woods require a smaller hole and some larger. The wood should always be screwed in to touch the jaws. However on thin platters I put a wooden spacer between the jaws and wood so the screw doesn't go in as far.

Wormscrew

Where do you live Ernie? One thing about woodturners that I have found is that they are some of the most generous people with their time and knowledge that I have ever met. Do you belong to a local woodturning club? If so, I know some of them have open turning days where you can just bring in a piece of wood and get all sorts of instruction from a lot of amazing and gifted people. Good luck.

No local woodturners club

I live in ellensburg, Wa--almost the exact middle of the state.
As far as I know there is no local club. The closest is about 2 1/2 hrs away.
ernie

Trial and error for the hole size. Some woods require a smaller hole and some larger.

Wetter the wood, smaller the heated and expanded fibers will make the hole seem. Bore, clear, wait a couple minutes and ream.

Local clubs

Ernie - While you might not have a local club, you do have one of the best woodturners in the state, if not the country living in your backyard. Check out this web site: http://donaldderry.com/

I live over in Olympia and belong to the Woodturners of Olympia Club. I will be in your neighborhood next week on business. I'll be staying in Ellensburg on Monday (9/20) and Thursday night (9/23). If you want to get together give me a call at 360-888-0506.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Ernie - While you might not have a local club, you do have one of the best woodturners in the state, if not the country living in your backyard. Check out this web site: http://donaldderry.com/

I live over in Olympia and belong to the Woodturners of Olympia Club. I will be in your neighborhood next week on business. I'll be staying in Ellensburg on Monday (9/20) and Thursday night (9/23). If you want to get together give me a call at 360-888-0506.

Good for you Finn

Ernie, every July (for the last several years) the Olympia club has run a one-day symposium in July, it has been worth every penny, every year.

Back