• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

slow drying finish

Wood in question is several spindle turnings of buginga. I have used both Liberon finishing oil and Waterlox original. The temperature and humidity in the area is OK. After 24 hours both finishes seem slightly "tacky" or soft. What is my problem?

Bubinga is a pretty oily wood in its own right. Try a higher solids finish after a solvent wipe.

Or just burnish the daylights out of it.

clean & try again

MM is right. The natural oil will prevent the finishes you used from ever being satisfactory. You can try a couple of things. First completly remove the finish you used however you desire. Then clean the wood surface carefully with either lacquer thinner or acetone and immediately-immediately apply the finish of choice. Personally I would finish with a good car paste wax and buff with white diamond building up a bit of heat.

Back