• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Where is the Ethics Policy?

Is there a detailed written ethics policy for the AAW and it's officers or Directors?

If so, can someone point me to it? It's not on the AAW website that I can find.

There are numerous postings here on the AAW forum that mention "Ethics Policy # 4"

Where can I find this policy?

Are there a set of guide lines for the Ethics Committee to follow? There must be something for them to work with. Can we see them?

Curtis Thompson
AAW member 15049

Gary, you allowed all of 6 hours before posting your response. I would guess that it is fair to assume that the administrators and Board of Directors aren't sitting around on their computers on a Sunday afternoon!:)

Curtis, the Code of Ethics is part of the Board of Directors Handbook, and to the best of my knowledge, it is not publicly available. But don't quote me on that last part.

Gary, you allowed all of 6 hours before posting your response. I would guess that it is fair to assume that the administrators and Board of Directors aren't sitting around on their computers on a Sunday afternoon!:)

Curtis, the Code of Ethics is part of the Board of Directors Handbook, and to the best of my knowledge, it is not publicly available. But don't quote me on that last part.

Kurt - Why would the Code of Ethics be in the BOD Handbook? Is there no place else this would be posted for the membership? The BOD Handbook governs how the BOD does the work for the entire AAW membership, and importantly how to do it in a ethical manner? This is done without the membership ever seeing it? This does not seem reasonable that the BOD Handbook would be kept a secret. Maybe it's been this way since day one and the members never knew, but I think they want to see it now. Kurt since you seem to know what's in the BOD Handbook perhaps you could produce a copy for the AAW membership to read? No pressure, just asking.:rolleyes:

Handbook?

Does anyone have one of these handbooks that can send it to me, or know how to go about getting one? It must cover a lot of info if the BoD is using it.

Please, everyone, keep this post on point and help with locating a copy of the ethics handbook.

If you have a copy of the ethics code, policy or etc. , please send it to me at tomcatt905@yahoo.com

Tomorrow I'll e-mail the BoD and ask them if I can get a copy.

Curtis Thompson

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com

And now it's been nearly a full day without a reply. Interesting, when someone posts something negative, controversial, out-spoken, what have you, regarding the BoD/editor and their behavior , Al Hockenberry and a few others come swooping in as though they've been perched at their keyboards just waiting.

An answer to Curtis' question????

It's been said many times before, but never seems to take - if the purpose of these kind of posts is on the level, and not intended to stir the pot, then a better approach would be to contact someone who actually knows the answer to the question...like the home office staff:

American Association of Woodturners
222 Landmark Center
75 5th St. W.
St. Paul, MN 55102
(877) 595-9094 toll free
(651) 484-9094
(651) 484-1724 (fax)
email: inquiries@woodturner.org

Last edited:
Ed, what is the purpose of the AAW Information forum if not to ask questions? I find it very disturbing that none of the powers that be (BOD, Ethics Committee and Bylaw Committee) feel a need to use the forum to answer questions or keep the membership informed.

Ed, what is the purpose of the AAW Information forum if not to ask questions? I find it very disturbing that none of the powers that be (BOD, Ethics Committee and Bylaw Committee) feel a need to use the forum to answer questions or keep the membership informed.

Stuart,

The purpose of this sub-forum is for AAW representatives to pass the word on items of interest to the membership - not for those who are unhappy about one thing or another to bait, second-guess, accuse, keep score or stir the pot.

I don't know if this will help, but there is a brief description of the function of the ethics committee in the member's area of the main AAW site.

Stuart,

The purpose of this sub-forum is for AAW representatives to pass the word on items of interest to the membership - not for those who are unhappy about one thing or another to bait, second-guess, accuse, keep score or stir the pot.

So, you are saying the moderators are falling down on the job by not deleting the 99.+ % of the post made by non AAW representatives? If there has been any baiting and stirring of the post your post inferring that is the only reason others post is in itself baiting.

Stuart,

OK, let’s go back and analyze the particulars:

Curtis posts the following message on the MAG site:
Is there a written ethics policy for the AAW and it's officers? If so, can someone point me to it? It's not on the AAW website. There are numerous postings on the AAW forum that mention "Ethics Policy # 4" Where can I find this policy? Are there a set of guide lines for the Ethics Committee to follow. There must be something for them to work with? If you want to PM me, use my omcatt905@yahoo.com addy. I hope to get some sort of response here as this message might not be well received at the AAW forum.

From which, you Stuart made a very insightful and correct response:
About the only thing I could find was the policy and procedure at:
http://www.woodturner.org/info/Policy&ProcedureManual.pdf . It is just a recap and says chapters can get a copy of the complete document for $3.00. In this day and age I think the whole document should be online.

Then Curtis posts the same (now rhetorical) question on the AAW forum – for what purpose? To give Garmar a platform to express discontent:
The sound of the response from the admins or BOD is deafening..
or to prompt Mike to make his retort:
And now it's been nearly a full day without a reply. Interesting, when someone posts something negative, controversial, out-spoken, what have you, regarding the BoD/editor and their behavior , Al Hockenberry and a few others come swooping in as though they've been perched at their keyboards just waiting.

It’s very simple – if you have a legitimate question, the best approach is always to go directly to the person who has the info you desire. On the other hand, if you want a platform to get people stirred up, let it be known that your posts are not welcome here.

Last edited:
Please!

Please don't get this thread locked down with these kind of side discussions.

Ed, I e-mailed the entire BoD and the ED Linda Tacke this morning for the handbook. It's to soon for any expectations regarding an answer.

I will wait, but until I do hear from the BoD or the ED, if anyone has a copy of the handbook, I'm asking if you can send it to me. There are a lot of ex BoD members out there who might be able to help me with this.

Thanks for your help

Curtis Thompson
member # 15049
tomcatt905@yahoo.com

Last edited:
Ed . . . I also took your advice and contacted the AAW office. But, wouldn't it be helpful if the BOD Handbook (including the ethics guidelines) were just posted in the AAW Information Subforum? I, also, do not want to see this thread get locked down.

Ed . . . I also took your advice and contacted the AAW office. But, wouldn't it be helpful if the BOD Handbook (including the ethics guidelines) were just posted in the AAW Information Subforum? I, also, do not want to see this thread get locked down.

Al,

Thanks for that. I've never seen the handbook or the ethics committee policy, and it's not my call on whether they should be published on the site or not. I do understand the desire for everything to be completely transparent, and that is certainly a noble thing to pursue.

ethics

Page 19, Directors Manual--Ethics Committee;

1. Purpose: Charged with reviewing any issues regarding ethics. All staff, active board members
and volunteers of the AAW shall act with honesty, integrity and openness in all their dealings as
representative of the AAW. The AAW promotes a working environment that values respect,
fairness and integrity and the Purpose of the AAW as set forth in Article II of its Bylaws.
2. Meeting Frequency: The Ethics Committee shall meet at least annually to formulate and
review the Code of Ethics of the AAW and present its findings and suggestions to the AAW
Board of Directors through its liaison Board member
The Ethics Committee shall meet at the call of the AAW Board of Directors and/or any member
making a formal request to do so, to review ethics matters and shall investigate all alleged
violations of the AAW Code of Ethics and timely report in writing its findings to the Board and
make recommendations to the Board through the Board liaison member.
3. Overall Responsibilities: The Ethics Committee may make suggestions or recommendations to
the Board with respect to any AAW member, regarding any matters within the Code of Ethics,
but all actions regarding AAW members shall occur only by AAW Board of Directors
consideration and vote in open meeting which shall occur at the next regular Board of Directors
meeting after the written report is submitted and received by the Board.
Any AAW Board of Directors’ action regarding any matter concerning the AAW Code of Ethics
shall be conducted in open meeting with full disclosure and discussion and written minutes. The
Board shall take such action as it deems appropriate and as set forth in the AAW Policy and
Procedures Manual at Section (page 80).
All deliberations and the report of the Ethics Committee shall remain confidential until released
by the Board at the meeting wherein the report is considered pursuant to Openness and

Thanks Royce

Soooooooooooooooooooo the Ethics Committee DOES HAVE INVESTIGATIVE POWERS How could they possibly put out a statement like they put out on the members home page? You know, this whole thing is starting to really stink.

Last edited by a moderator:
ethics-a bit more

Code of Ethics
Personal and Professional Integrity
All staff, active board members and volunteers of the AAW shall act with honesty, integrity and
openness in all their dealings as representatives of the AAW and as ambassadors to the
worldwide community of woodturners. The AAW promotes a working environment that values
respect, fairness and integrity and the Purpose of the AAW as set forth in Article II of its Bylaws.
08/24/2006

Soooooooooooooooooooo the Ethics Committee DOES HAVE INVESTIGATIVE POWERS How could they possibly put out a statement like they put out on the members home page? You know, this whole thing is starting to really stink.

Dick, Their stated function is to report to the Board. They also don't make their reports/opinions public. What were you expecting them to do, subpoena Board members and ask them he said/she said questions? They have no power to do that under the Board rules. They said they were following things closely. Perhaps they reported/opined that there was no violation of the "code." Either way they are not in a position to make facts or circumstances public, which seems to be what people here were looking for them to do.

Time to rest

Gentlemen: If I may make a recommendation. Put it to bed. Even if the ethics committee were to act, its conclusions and report goes to the BoD for action. For that reason among others we have witnessed the recent activities. As a result, I have learned more about AAW than I ever wanted to know. None the less, the matter has been settled with as near an apology as you can hope to receive. It is now time to turn to efforts to adjust AAW in a manner we all would like to have in place. I posted the info from the BoD hand book to point out the dead end you are confronted with.
Redirect your efforts to a subject that has a reasonable chance of success. Join with me and others in such effort.
PHP:

Last edited:
Dick, Their stated function is to report to the Board. They also don't make their reports/opinions public. What were you expecting them to do, subpoena Board members and ask them he said/she said questions? They have no power to do that under the Board rules. They said they were following things closely. Perhaps they reported/opined that there was no violation of the "code." Either way they are not in a position to make facts or circumstances public, which seems to be what people here were looking for them to do.

This pretty well puts them in neutral with no forward or reverse. Hopefully the Bylaws Committee can improve this and let the Ethics Committee stand on their own 2 feet.

Gentlemen: If I may make a recommendation. Put it to bed. Even if the ethics committee were to act, its conclusions and report goes to the BoD for action. For that reason among others we have witnessed the recent activities. As a result, I have learned more about AAW than I ever wanted to know. None the less, the matter has been settled with as near an apology as you can hope to receive. It is now time to turn to efforts to adjust AAW in a manner we all would like to have in place. I posted the info from the BoD hand book to point out the dead end you are confromted with.
Redirect your efforts to a subject that has a reasonable chance of success. Join with me and others in such effort.
PHP:

I kind of agree, let the past be in the past. But we need to correct the inadequacies of the Bylaws, the Handbook and whatever else the membership does not know about and keep this from happening again. Or if it does happen the Ethics committee can do more than say "Yes someone did violate the "Whatever"". Right now the Ethics Committee is just about all show and no go.

Marvin,
You're not going to want to hear this, but when it comes to the Board's own handbook, you or I have no say in what it contains. That is the Board's own internal rules; it's not legislated or voted on by members, nor can its provisions be enforced by us mere members.

Mr. Wallace will, I'm sure, point you to the Minnesota statute where you can read what members can do.

Marvin,
You're not going to want to hear this, but when it comes to the Board's own handbook, you or I have no say in what it contains. That is the Board's own internal rules; it's not legislated or voted on by members, nor can its provisions be enforced by us mere members.

I know, but the more people that know it, the more people that will get involved and maybe, just maybe the AAW will become a little more open to all 13,000 members instead of a chosen few. If not, I think quite a few of the 13,000 members might start looking for another place to play, and the chosen few will have an empty sandbox.

Got it!

We've now have the book and there is no longer a reason for this thread to go on for my benefit.

I asked for help and I got it and much more.

Thanks to everyone that sent their help, it's very much appreciated.:)

Curtis Thompson
AAW member # 15049

I know, but the more people that know it, the more people that will get involved and maybe, just maybe the AAW will become a little more open to all 13,000 members instead of a chosen few. If not, I think quite a few of the 13,000 members might start looking for another place to play, and the chosen few will have an empty sandbox.

Just keep in mind that the people who are directors right now didn't write it.

Marvin,

Mr. Wallace will, I'm sure, point you to the Minnesota statute where you can read what members can do.

Mark I'm slightly confused as to this being a internal BOD rules only document.

In Royce's first post, line 1. states Purpose: Charged with reviewing any issues regarding ethics. All staff, active board members and volunteers of the AAW...
In line 3. it starts with, Overall Responsibilities: The Ethics Committee may make suggestions or recommendations to the Board with respect to any AAW member...
In Royce's second post has this line, All staff, active board members and volunteers of the AAW...

These statements in the BOD handbook would seem to indicate these rules are not just internal to the BOD but written to apply to the entire AAW membership. If this is true should not the AAW membership expect them to follow these rules also? If your reasoning is correct then the BOD can enforce their own rules on us, but we can not expect the BOD to follow these same rules. When it states any AAW member are not the members of the BOD any AAW member as stated? Seems like a lawyer could pick this apart as not being internal BOD only. I'm not trying to argue with you but just want clarification on how this document is for internal use only when it clearly states otherwise. Thanks

Bill,

The handbook itself, as far as I know, has been drafted by the previous Boards of directors over the last 25 years. It is the set of rules which the Boards established for themselves and the committees which are, after all, to a greater or lesser degree, extensions of those boards. Yes the EC, which is unique in operating without a board member chair, can render an opinion with respect to any member, but that opinion then goes to the Board which is the final arbiter and decision-maker with respect to what, if anything, should be done. Thus the Board, as most every board is, is self governing and self-enforcing. Members do not enforce Board rules. They may, however, remove a director just as the Board may do so in appropriate situations.

The concept, as I've said to others, is one of "Standing" to make a complaint. To do so, you must be the one actually harmed by the alleged violation, and must be in a position to invoke the rule. That means harmed in some real sense, not just insulted or having had your "metaphysical nose pushed out of joint" because you either don't like or don't agree with what a particular Board or individual directors may or may not have done. You, as a member, can of course say, "Board, that was wrong based on your own rules. Enforce them and correct the situation." It is, however, then up to the Board to do something about what you raised, not you.

I do hope this translates.

Last edited:
Bill,

The handbook itself, as far as I know, has been drafted by the previous Boards of directors over the last 25 years. It is the set of rules which the Boards established for themselves and the committees which are, after all, to a greater or lesser degree, extensions part of those boards. Yes the EC, which is unique in operating without a board member chair, can render an option with respect to any member, but that opinion then goes to the Board which is the final arbiter and decision-maker with respect to what, if anything, should be done. Thus the Board, as most every board is, is self governing and self-enforcing. Members do not enforce Board rules. They may, however, remove a director just as the Board may do so in appropriate situations.

The concept, as I've said to others, is one of "Standing" to make a complaint. To do so, you must be the one actually harmed by the alleged violation, and must be in a position to invoke the rule. That means harmed in some real sense, not just insulted or having had your "metaphysical nose pushed out of joint" because you either don't like or don't agree with what a particular Board or individual directors may or may not have done. You, as a member, can of course say, "Board, that was wrong based on your own rules. Enforce them and correct the situation." It is, however, then up to the Board to do something about what you raised, not you.

I do hope this translates.

It translates to me that we the members, elect the chosen people to have the power. Unfortunately the membership that does the paying of the dues, and even electing these chosen people are not entitled to know what is going on. I am sorry but I did not know that there was some sort of secret organization inside of the AAW, I wonder how many others feel the same way?

R

Ron Sardo

From what I understand, the handbook is more of a guide to aid in the transition of new board members.

It translates to me that we the members, elect the chosen people to have the power. Unfortunately the membership that does the paying of the dues, and even electing these chosen people are not entitled to know what is going on. I am sorry but I did not know that there was some sort of secret organization inside of the AAW, I wonder how many others feel the same way?

Marvin, every functioning body needs rules to do it job efficiently. Some are formal, others not. But ,please, it would be more productive if you spare us the hyperbole of "secret societies" and other such inflammatory comments. Why do you insist on roiling up non-issues? Why are you threatened by the Board making rules and procedures to enable it to do the jobs that you elected it to do?

I guess it is because every non profit organization that I have been a member of has always been open and above board that I do not trust the secrecy that goes on within the AAW. 501(c)3 organizations are supposed to be open and transparent to the members. How can the public consider donations to AAW when the membership doesn't even know how the AAW functions?

I guess it is because every non profit organization that I have been a member of has always been open and above board that I do not trust the secrecy that goes on within the AAW. 501(c)3 organizations are supposed to be open and transparent to the members. How can the public consider donations to AAW when the membership doesn't even know how the AAW functions?

Marvin, all this high minded moral superiority is giving me a headache.

How can you possibly think that undermining the integrity of AAW volunteers every chance you get serves any useful purpose? I know that a few AAW members are not happy, but honestly, what is it that you hope to accomplish with this continued vilification of anyone who offends your high ideals? These divisive us versus them posts are not welcome here. On the other hand, if you have any positive ideas or recommendations, I'm pretty sure that there are lots of folks who would like to hear them.

Marvin,

The AAW functions like any other organization. What is it that you don't know with respect to how it functions? You know it has a Board and the various committees that deal with all the various aspects of its operations. You've seen its tax returns and financial statements, so you know where all the money goes. You see and receive its publications. You know about its youth outreach programs, its self-funded educational grant and professional development programs. You get personal benefits like discounts with vendors and insurance coverage for participating at sanctioned events. You get to vote for a new set of directors every year, and have the opportunity to attend both a unique national symposium and an annual membership meeting where you, up close and personal, can ask questions of the elected board and voice your concerns and suggestions.

Maybe I'm a bit confused by what you mean, but that sure doesn't sound like any secret society that I've ever heard of.

Last edited:
Back