• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Source for motors and VFDs

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have a new machine I want to build (a 16" horizontal glass grinder) and it would require a 110V motor. I figured if I can get a 220V 3 phase motor with a 120V VFD at a reasonable price, I would make it variable speed. Need a 1HP.

I know I have seen a few sources here, but can't find them.
I am looking for a place that sells motor and VFD packages.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have always thought that Drives Warehouse in Dallas was OK, but slightly overpriced.

I used to buy them off the industrial section of eBay, but over the past couple years, even that part of eBay has become much like the rest of eBay -- i.e., overrun with either junk or companies that are selling greatly overpriced stuff. I guess that a good thing never lasts forever.

A couple thoughts -- if you have a 230 VAC motor, I would strongly recommend also getting a 240 VAC VFD. (If something looks like a typo here, I'll mention that motor nameplates usually state voltage a bit lower than the standard power company line voltages). While you might find a 230 VAC motor with windings that will allow 115 VAC configuration and also find a 120 VAC 1 HP VFD, it is very likely that the VFD will cost much more than a 240 VAC VFD with the same HP rating. The reason is that the switching devices (usually power CMOS transistors) for the higher current that it must handle at 120 VAC will cost much more than comparable lower current devices. There are also other cost considerations such s heat sinking and active cooling requirements. My gut feel is that 1 HP VFDs rated for 120 VAC operation are hard to come by.

Have you found a motor yet and do you know if it is specifically rated for VFD use. I know that a lot of turners have used ordinary three-phase motors and stated that there is no problem, but what they really mean is that they don't know that there is a problem because there was not a puff of smoke when they turned everything on. The failure mode is not obvious and does not happen suddenly so, depending on how it is used, a system may last for quite a while with a motor not designed for inverter duty, but performance does very slowly deteriorate which means that it may not be noticeable until performance gets really bad.

Last edited:

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Actually the VFDs aren't that hard to find. They have a 110V input and 220V 3 phase output. On the high end they are in the $150-$250 range depending on enclosure type and features. Since it is the type of device I want to be able to roll around and work with in the driveway or where ever, I wanted 110 I could run off a 15 amp circuit.

Somthing like this off of eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=360248942260&Category=78192&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_1585wt_1138

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Actually the VFDs aren't that hard to find. They have a 110V input and 220V 3 phase output. On the high end they are in the $150-$250 range depending on enclosure type and features. Since it is the type of device I want to be able to roll around and work with in the driveway or where ever, I wanted 110 I could run off a 15 amp circuit.

Somthing like this off of eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=360248942260&Category=78192&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_1585wt_1138

That sounds like something that would fit your needs quite well at a great price. Woods divested their electronics division to Vacon several years ago to focus on their primary business of mechanical drive parts and assemblies. You might be able to get technical information from the Vacon web site for the drive.

Automationdirect.com also has extensive stock of VFDs and motors.

And their tech support was VERY helpful when I was planning a project.

Sorry Steve, my bad.
Should have read check out this web site as they have a lot of electric motors and controlers

Back