• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW direction

I am curious to know what direction the AAW is planning on taking at this point. Here locally I teach turning at two facilities as well as from my home shop. I also have written a few articles for woodturning design. Are there plans to expand the support for people like me? I would like to think that the board has something in mind for more members than just the elite or production turners.

Respectfully

Dave

David,

I'm curious, what would you like the AAW to do that's not already being done? Try to be as specific as you can as to what products, services, and programs you'd like to see.

Support

Interesting point, Dave.

What kind of "support" are you thinking about? I know there are many people just like you on the local levels, but the AAW doesn't have gobs of money to spread around, as most of its assets are either in its collection of work or tied up in specific endowments. A 1.5 million dollar budget doesn't go very far when you take half a mil for the symposium and almost 1 million for the Journal, the Directory and member giveaways.

I am curious to know what direction the AAW is planning on taking at this point. Here locally I teach turning at two facilities as well as from my home shop. I also have written a few articles for woodturning design. Are there plans to expand the support for people like me? I would like to think that the board has something in mind for more members than just the elite or production turners.

Respectfully

Dave

Have you thought about applying for an EOG grant? Guidelines are on the AAW website. I think the deadline is sometime in mid January. Individuals can get up to $1,000 for a project or program that helps foster education about woodturning. For instance, if you were to take a class from someone whose skills you wanted to learn in order to pass those skills on to your students or local chapter members, I think that sort of application would stand a fairly good chance at success. (Non-successful EOG grants are ones where someone simply asks for a new lathe.)

I think that local chapters can obtain $1,500 for educational purposes. Perhaps there is something that your local chapter needs to help with education, maybe instituting a program that you are interested in heading up?

The EOG funds are raised from the symposium banquet auction from items donated by woodturners. In other words, the AAW raises money, then gives it away through the EOG program. $70,000 was awarded last year (see page 10 of the June issue of AW). It appears as though most of the money went to local chapters. But of the individuals, I don't see any recognizable names.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Website
www.turningnick.com
Mark,
Let's make sure people understand the collection of work has been dontated(My understanding), and the AAW has not spent dues on buying turnings. For tax purposes, the collection has to be shown as assets.

Interesting point, Dave.

What kind of "support" are you thinking about? I know there are many people just like you on the local levels, but the AAW doesn't have gobs of money to spread around, as most of its assets are either in its collection of work or tied up in specific endowments. A 1.5 million dollar budget doesn't go very far when you take half a mil for the symposium and almost 1 million for the Journal, the Directory and member giveaways.

Last edited:
Mark,
Let's make sure people understand the collection of work has been dontated(My understanding), and the AAW has not spent dues on buying turnings. For tax purposes, the collection has to be shown as assets.

As far as I know, all the items in AAW's permanent collection were donated. The cost incurred to the AAW is storage, upkeep of the collection, insurance, and whatever else is involved with maintaining a permanent collection. (See the June issue for an example of a donation, where the Masons and Frank Sudol's widow donated objects to AAW's permanent collection.)

It might be interesting to have a discussion about the merits of the AAW having a permanent collection. I would be interested in hearing opinions.

Mark,

Nick, My point was that some might look at the AAW financials and a net worth over 5 million and figure that was "spreadable" in some way. Yes, the "collection" was donated (and the travel part of it serves and very important AAW function), however, the tax return that has been posted shows expenditures pretty close to revenues. People have to understand that money available for local "support" topics is limited, and applications for it are competitive to one extent or the other.

Kurt Hertzog, AAW Membership and Chapter committee chair, is working on the 2011 EOG grant application, and should have something for the website in the next month or so. Check the homepage for kickoff announcements. In the mean time, if you'd like more info on what the AAW's Educational Opportunity Grant is all about, then dial in here.

There are also Professional Outreach Program (POP) Fellowship Grants, offered to AAW members every other year. Again, check the homepage for commencement of the 2011 grant process. This link will take you to the POP Fellowship Grant page, where you can learn how it works and how these grants differ from the EOGrants.

Task 3: "...developing a new strategic plan..."

I keep reading phrases like this--or new direction. I have yet to read anything that indicates what that might be. Are we to be kept at sea while someone learns about AAW or are we being asked to point in the "right" direction?
Limited funding exists, yet much can be done to assist on the local level without significant funding. We are seeing more and more local symposiums. One might explore the reasons and how AAW can help in that area. At this time I only suggest this is an area AAW could support in some way-a suggestion. As we all know a small classes learns more than a large standing room only class.
I am a firm believer that input from the membership is the most valuable asset a club can have for success--difficult to get, but: solicitation,solicitation, solicitation is eventually successful. It is from that input an organization like AAW will recieve effective guidence leading to success. Of course leadership is equally important--Thus I do not decry the present process of seeking out BOD candidates. Although it does portend the essence of static "good old boy" perpetuation--control by one faction or another.
If you all want to be of value, then figure out what is lacking, how it can be fixed--define the "...new strategic plan.." with your suggestions. That opportunity exists now. Take advantage--

First, thank you all for replying.
Personally I'm set well for tools so I wouldn't ask for a lathe :)
I would be interested in some funds for chucks and chisels for the NSCCD, this generation of the program is just a year old. They have a few donated sets of second hand chisels along with the spur drives and faceplates that came with the lathes. The Center is there for teaching craft and the woodshop has been dedicated to turning only for the last year. I would hope that would qualify for a grant.

There is also to be an auction centered around woodturning in Atlantic Canada, it will fund a scholarship for art students at the art university. Is there a promotional tool the AAW has to get the word out to members in Atlantic Canada?

I too noticed the "new direction" and agree that feedback is critical. I would like to see this organisation support everyday members like myself. I will have the NSCCD apply for a grant when the application is available. Betty Scarpino, is there room in the journal for local events such as our auction? I would like to attract the attention and participation of regional turners.

. . . The Center is there for teaching craft and the woodshop has been dedicated to turning only for the last year. I would hope that would qualify for a grant.

There is also to be an auction centered around woodturning in Atlantic Canada, it will fund a scholarship for art students at the art university. Is there a promotional tool the AAW has to get the word out to members in Atlantic Canada?

I will have the NSCCD apply for a grant when the application is available. Betty Scarpino, is there room in the journal for local events such as our auction? I would like to attract the attention and participation of regional turners.

I would think that your grant application would have a good chance of being successful. If you've not written a grant before, I suggest that you ask for copies of some of the successful grants from the past to use as models. Ask Kurt Hertzog -- I think he's chair of the EOG committee. When you email Kurt, start a dialogue to find out as much as possible about his views on what stands a good chance of being funded. Follow his lead and follow the guidelines as closely as possible to ensure success. That committee wants everyone's grant to be successful.

If you send me a short announcement for the calendar page, then I will include it (email me at editorscarpino@gmail.com) The problem with something in the journal, however, is the lead-time is so long. Deadline for calendar entries is in a couple of days for the October issue (and everything else is already finished).

Editorial policy is that the journal will carry articles about an event after it's happened, but before the event, then the vehicle for announcing is the calendar.

There is a calendar on the AAW website -- email Ed Davidson at webmaster@woodturner.org. Also, you can make your announcement on one of the threads on the AAW forum, on WoodCentral, on Sawmill Creek forum, and on WoW. Hitting all of those sites with information about and a link to your auction would surely generate a lot of interest. Also, check out the Collectors of Wood Art -- they have a website.

Two more possibilities. The Professional Outreach Program (POP) sends out an e-newsletter once a month. Your news item can be included in that (and you might consider joining POP -- you can do so on the AAW website). And last, but not least, the local-chapter committee sends out an e-newsletter once a month to every local chapter contact. Put your announcement in that newsletter (email it to linda@woodturner.org).

Good luck with your grant proposal and with your auction.

Nick, et al,
It's true that most of the AAW's collection has been donated, but in addition, the POP Committee has instituted a Purchase Award at each annual symposium. Several pieces are selected by (non-POP) jurors, and purchased by the POP Committee's own funds from the Instant Gallery display. I mention this because it is a recent "direction" that many members may not yet aware of--which benefits the general membership to help build the permanent collection, plus providing a monetary award to attending members for displaying outstanding work.
J. Paul Fennell #297

Website
www.turningnick.com
J. Paul,
Thanks for the additional information. I don't think most people know the POP programs are self funding.

Nick, et al,
It's true that most of the AAW's collection has been donated, but in addition, the POP Committee has instituted a Purchase Award at each annual symposium. Several pieces are selected by (non-POP) jurors, and purchased by the POP Committee's own funds from the Instant Gallery display. I mention this because it is a recent "direction" that many members may not yet aware of--which benefits the general membership to help build the permanent collection, plus providing a monetary award to attending members for displaying outstanding work.
J. Paul Fennell #297

Ok, I keep seeing comments from the BoD about moving the AAW in a new direction. That is all well and fine. I would like to see a posting or letter detailing just what that direction is. I know where I believe the AAW should be headed but I don't feel I can submitt useful suggestions until I know what direction the BoD wants to take. I also don't know if the direction the BoD wants to go is in line with where the membership wants to go. So come on BoD, you have had long enough to put a plan together. Care to share?

Last edited:
Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Betty,
I for one think the AAW having a permanet collection helps those that see it understand that turning has truly evolved. That the lathe can be a starting point not the end result. That beauty from lathe turned objects from a ballister to something that looks like it never had contact with a lathe gives the viewer something to go wow. So two thumbs up from me.

Ok, I keep seeing comments from the BoD about moving the AAW in a new direction. That is all well and fine. I would like to see a posting or letter detailing just what that direction is. I know where I believe the AAW should be headed but I don't feel I can submitt useful suggestions until I know what direction the BoD wants to take. I also don't know if the direction the BoD wants to go is in line with where the membership wants to go. So come on BoD, you have had long enough to put a plan together. Care to share?

So far we have been getting a lot of third party board members telling us the direction that the board wants to lead the AAW. Cannot really put a lot of faith in those, as they are hand me downs or maybe just speculation as to what the third party thinks the board wants to do.

Maybe it is time for each current board member to start a thread on the AAW forum telling the members what their individual goals are for the AAW. Tell us what they think the AAW should do to grow larger and stronger. It would be informative and maybe bring back some trust and cohesion between the board and the membership.

just speculation as to what the third party thinks the board wants to do.

30% of BoD canditates are from out of continental us

seems the direction is international

i do not have a problem with that, hope we do not get picketted for trying to control supply and production of wooden bowls and such :D

Website
www.turningnick.com
I am pretty sure there was only 6 candidates for the committee to choice from. I don't think there is a direction.

Somebody from the BOD should be able confirm this.

30% of BoD canditates are from out of continental us

seems the direction is international

i do not have a problem with that, hope we do not get picketted for trying to control supply and production of wooden bowls and such :D

So far we have been getting a lot of third party board members telling us the direction that the board wants to lead the AAW. Cannot really put a lot of faith in those, as they are hand me downs or maybe just speculation as to what the third party thinks the board wants to do.

Maybe it is time for each current board member to start a thread on the AAW forum telling the members what their individual goals are for the AAW. Tell us what they think the AAW should do to grow larger and stronger. It would be informative and maybe bring back some trust and cohesion between the board and the membership.

There must be a plan, mustn't there? How else have the BOD come to the conclusion that we need a new ED and how have they determined the job and person specification for that role now posted?

A change in direction will need funding, so there must also be an associated budget. We have already incurred significant costs associated with this change in direction, were they budgetted or are we running an unplanned deficit?

Brian Finney

I sent an email to the BoD last Friday, Aug 13,10. Tom Wirsing replied to it today, Aug. 16, 10. Go to this link http://www.woodturner.org/products/aw/more_info/August_2010/ and scroll down to Tom Wirsing. He lists 13 items which he wants to accomplish. This is the direction the AAW is headed according to Tom. He says this is not the official list or plan but most of it has been discused with the BoD and he feels that most of them agree with it.

So there you go.

I sent an email to the BoD last Friday, Aug 13,10. Tom Wirsing replied to it today, Aug. 16, 10. Go to this link http://www.woodturner.org/products/aw/more_info/August_2010/ and scroll down to Tom Wirsing. He lists 13 items which he wants to accomplish. This is the direction the AAW is headed according to Tom. He says this is not the official list or plan but most of it has been discused with the BoD and he feels that most of them agree with it.

So there you go.
That's an encouraging list.
I'm glad you linked it here.

I have no problem with the President Wirsing's list, but it is hardly the 'new direction' we are repeatedly told about.

If we are going in a new direction we need a written plan with objectives, reasons and evidence, a written risk assessment/SWOT analysis and an agreed budget to implement the transition. Sorry if that sounds a little too business like but I don't like failure or bs and I feel like I am looking at one and hearing the other.

Brian Finney

I'd agree with Brian and maybe it's simply because I did grants for years, wrote them, that yes, a non-profit organization like the one I ran had very specific long term goals, short-term objectives, budget forecast and I did it every year that way, grew the organization steadily, and with stability. So I think Brian's right on target ~ also I still can't quite get this to do the quote thing to reference the above comment to which I'm referring. Ah well.

13.A board of directors which communicates so well within itself, and is so cohesive, that we never experience divisiveness among board members.

So he wants no one on the BoD that might be a "check or balance". Everyone is going to make nice while talking about the buisness of AAW.

I know, he said this is not an offical list, it just looks too much like a pipe dream to me.

I have no problem with the President Wirsing's list, but it is hardly the 'new direction' we are repeatedly told about.

If we are going in a new direction we need a written plan with objectives, reasons and evidence, a written risk assessment/SWOT analysis and an agreed budget to implement the transition. Sorry if that sounds a little too business like but I don't like failure or bs and I feel like I am looking at one and hearing the other.

Brian Finney

Brian, you nailed it exactly as did Glen Key's response. This is not the "New Direction" we've been hearing about but Mr. Wirsing's personal "Vision for the coming years" Now, if Mr. Wirsing's personal vision is indeed the "New Direction" then the Board should collectively come forward and tell the membership so. Otherwise it's just a list of campaign promises and we all know those usually work out. Simply saying the others on the BOD are in general agreement doesn't make it so.

I really don't think we will see an official witten plan until after the new boardmembers we are now electing are seated, if ever. Remember, Tom Wirsing is up for reelection. If he is not reelected to the board that would be a game changer IMHO.

How often has an incumbent board member failed to be reelected? I think regardless of the recent troubles Tom will almost certainly be reelected. My reasoning is without campaigning the only thing the majority of the membership sees is the small blurb in the journal. There are the candidate supplemental statements but a best they are slim with no real information. I'm afraid the majority of the membership just views incumbents as "if they were elected before they must be pretty good".

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Incumbents do well in re election. Probably in large part because they were elected initially. In the last 4 years there was one board member not re-elected.

I'm quite sure that the leadership Tom has shown in recent months will see him be the top vote getter.

The biggest barrier most candidates face is not being known outside their local area. This can be overcome with a strong statement in the Journal.

I'm quite confident that any of the board candidates presented since 2006 would have made fine board members. That does not mean they would agree with every member on every subject. It does mean that each one possessed solid qualifications from their local community, careers, and local chapters and presumably would have done their best to represent the interests of the AAW and its membership.

One thing I do when I vote is to vote only for those candidates that i want to see elected. sometimes that is 1 candidate sometimes 2.

-Al

Last edited:
Back