• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Will you vote????

I just received my copy of the journal. I quickly went through it, pulled out my ballot and envelope, selected the people that I would like to see on the board, marked it, put the ballot in the envelope and sealed it. I will post it tomorrow morning. Please do the same.
If you dont vote, dont complain when you disagree with anything that the BOD do.
Norm

Last edited:
Website
www.abhats.com
That's not in any way correct, or needed.

John

This is true - once someone's voted in, the board can't kick them out. My problem now is that first I still haven't received my mag, but more importantly those on the ballot have been 'screened' by a committee of former board members and those appointed by the board. This I believe is the root cause of all this hoopla. If I ever get my issue, I'll probably vote, but still under protest.

deleted again?

What happened to Gynia's post?

Originally Posted by Gynia
It doesn't matter anyway. If the board doesn't like who is voted for they will just make them step down and insert whoever they want anyway.

Take a look and you'll see that the AAW leadership has been reorganized in the last 15 months. 3 new BoD members and 1 new ED.

Now Dale Larson and Ron Sardo are in charge of rewriting the By-laws. No input from MAG anywhere. The one MAG friendly supporter, Al Stramiello who was on the by-laws rewrite committee was removed.

Is this the 800 lb gorilla in the room that were not allowed to talk about?

Sad:(

Curtis Thompson
Pro AAW MAGie

Take a look and you'll see that the AAW leadership has been reorganized in the last 15 months. 3 new BoD members and 1 new ED.

Now Dale Larson and Ron Sardo are in charge of rewriting the By-laws. No input from MAG anywhere. The one MAG friendly supporter, Al Stramiello who was on the by-laws rewrite committee was removed.

Curtis Thompson
Pro AAW MAGie

Ron Sardo, has stated on more than one occasion during this whole dust-up that he is pro AAW not pro BOD. He then decided to actively get involved, thus, the committee. Another vocal critic of the BOD was Jude Kingerly(sp), she has non-profit board experience. Mark Mandell has been critical of the board's actions, and brings a very practical approach to the committee. These are just the ones I can remember mainly because they are and have been willing to work within the organization to help improve it.

This group is well equipped to bring the AAW by-laws up to date and standard.

I am in Afghanistan and I dont recieve the magazine here. How Can I get a Ballot?

ED Jarvis

Ed,

Your August Journal was mailed to the address you have on record, in Texas. Is there nobody there who can forward it to you, of fill out/mail the ballot on your behalf?

For future reference, if you'll log onto the members area, and access "Your Account", you'll find a way to temporarily change your mailing address to a different location - using the "Snowbird" option. I'm certain that "snowbird" does not fit your current situation, but you get the idea...

Curtis Thompson
Pro AAW MAGie

According to Al Stramiello in a post on the MAG guest book, Ron Sardo asked Al to be on the bylaws rewrite but Dale Larson refused to have Al on the committee. Seems Dale is still using a heavy hand in getting what he wants.:(

Mr Skewer - looks like you missed the retraction:

Al Stramiello:
My apologies, Ron. My hearing sometimes interferes with my telephone conversations. I must have misunderstood.

Note to MAG members, I was about to make this post in AAW. But first I wanted to double check the accuracy of my conversation with Ron. Therefore, I wrote to Ron asking him if I had it right. I guess I didn't. Sorry that I didn't check first before posting here in MAG.

it will be interesting to see if the committee makes any changes on how or who choses candidatess for BoD

correction

According to Al Stramiello in a post on the MAG guest book, Ron Sardo asked Al to be on the bylaws rewrite but Dale Larson refused to have Al on the committee. Seems Dale is still using a heavy hand in getting what he wants.

Al has since corrected that statement on the MAG site. Ron and Al's post are below

Ron Sardo:
It wasn't Dale Larson that rejected your participation Al.

I still feel bad about having to remove you from the group. I'm sorry.

I do want to thank you for the suggestions you sent us, it was well received.

Al Stramiello:
My apologies, Ron. My hearing sometimes interferes with my telephone conversations. I must have misunderstood.

Note to MAG members, I was about to make this post in AAW. But first I wanted to double check the accuracy of my conversation with Ron. Therefore, I wrote to Ron asking him if I had it right. I guess I didn't. Sorry that I didn't check first before posting here in MAG.

The questions does remain, who removed Al Stramiello from the re-write committee? It does suggest a heavy hand somewhere is in the works. Al was a very out spoken critic of the BoD. Now he's gone.

Tom Wirsing appointed Dale Larson and Ron Sardo as co-chairs on the By-Laws rewrite committee. who else has the authority to remove an appointed committee member?

Curtis Thompson

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
John,
Director's can be and have been remove from the BOD by a simple majority of the BOD. Linda VanG. was the last(2009). I think this change should be a priority for the bylaws committe.

That's not the same thing at all, there has NEVER been a circumstance where an elected board member was removed and replaced because the board did not like the election results.

All the inflammatory remarks don't help anyone, regardless of your point of view. It just makes one look uninformed, and/or small minded.

John

Last edited:
Website
www.laymar-crafts.co.uk
Just received my copy of the Mag and ballot paper and would dearly like to vote.

However I have a ballot paper with some one elses name on it? Magazine came in poly bag addressed to me here in the UK but the magazine has the name and address for a guy in Australia and therfore so does the Ballot Slip.

Is it ok for me to Vote using some one elses Ballot?

Incompetence comes to mind.

Richard

That's not the same thing at all, there has NEVER been a circumstance where an elected board member was removed and replaced because the board did not like the election results.

All the inflammatory remarks don't help anyone, regardless of your point of view. It just makes one look uninformed, and/or small minded.

John

John, I believe the last part of your own statement is at the very least inflammatory and possibly insulting. Maybe you should rethink that last sentence. You probably didn't mean it in the way I just interpreted.

The notion that Dale and Ron are in any way "in charge" of the bylaw revision process is simply untrue.

I'm not "in charge" of it either, or anything else thank heavens, but I am a participant.

At the risk of getting myself into a whole world of trouble here, I will point out that somewhere on these threads, in a fit of frustration, I am on record as suggesting that the BOD recently displayed no more sense than a "sack full of wet mice" ... and yet somehow, perhaps mysteriously, I find myself on the Bylaws committee!

No. It's a well balanced group. Nobody's refusing to ask hard questions, or to answer them. Gorillas are not off-limits with this bunch, not at all.

Still waiting for a response?

Just received my copy of the Mag and ballot paper and would dearly like to vote.

However I have a ballot paper with some one elses name on it? Magazine came in poly bag addressed to me here in the UK but the magazine has the name and address for a guy in Australia and therfore so does the Ballot Slip.

Is it ok for me to Vote using some one elses Ballot?

Incompetence comes to mind.

Richard

Richard, if you are still waiting for a response, maybe you could look up the chaps tel# in Australia, Call him from the UK, charge the call to the AAW.:eek: Maybe he received your ballot. If so, you could then just trade votes for each other over the phone. Then it will not make any difference. :cool2:

The notion that Dale and Ron are in any way "in charge" of the bylaw revision process is simply untrue.

I'm not "in charge" of it either, or anything else thank heavens, but I am a participant.

At the risk of getting myself into a whole world of trouble here, I will point out that somewhere on these threads, in a fit of frustration, I am on record as suggesting that the BOD recently displayed no more sense than a "sack full of wet mice" ... and yet somehow, perhaps mysteriously, I find myself on the Bylaws committee!

No. It's a well balanced group. Nobody's refusing to ask hard questions, or to answer them. Gorillas are not off-limits with this bunch, not at all.

The fact that Dale and Ron were assigned as Co-chairs of this committee by Tom Wirsing would imply that they are "in charge". I believe they selected you and the other members of this committee, that would also indicate they are "in charge". Ron selected Al Stramiello to be on the committee and then called back to "deselect" him for a unknown reason, this would appear to me that Ron or Dale was indeed "in charge". Being co-chairs of this committee makes them responsible to the membership for the actions or non-actions of all that the committee does, that makes them "in charge". I would hope that during your discussions of possible changes to the bylaws that no "one person" could disallow anything to be brought up and possibly changed. A majority should rule on all votes taken with those "in charge" not unduly influencing the vote.

Calling the BOD "a sack full of wet mice" seems pretty tame compared to what others might of wrote or been thinking about them.:D

"Well balanced group" Does this mean there's a 800 pound gorilla on both sides of the table?:eek:

"Bunch" I hope you don't mean like a bunch of "bananas" that can be picked, smashed and eaten by that same 800 pound gorilla.;)

ballot

Thanks for your support folks, the long hours are wearing on me. Before I ask the wife to send the ballot when is it due? it will take a couple of weeks possibly and the return I have no Ideal on. if it is due buy early sept I would not make the dead line. I wish there was a way to get it electronically and I could print sign and return. Here the rules are lookin like I wont get to vote, Until I saw the comments in the forum I did not even know there was a ballot.

Ed

As chairs, or co-chairs, they control the direction of the discussion, who is recognized and when they are not recognized. In charge? Given the actions by Dale and Board, I'll let you be the judge. I my opinion based on what I've read on this forum, Dale will try to be in charge. It will be up to you, Ron and the other members to not let that happen.

Regardless of what side the by-law committee members were on, I (I won't try to speak for the entire membership) am counting on all of you to do the right thing for the AAW. But you must remember, and here I think I can speak for a significant portion of the membership, we have a trust issue with certain persons on the committee. Guess who?

And the question is still out there: Who rejected (unappointed) Al Stramiello from the By-Laws committee. It wasn't Ron obviously. If not Dale, then who?

Frank

Thanks for your support folks, the long hours are wearing on me. Before I ask the wife to send the ballot when is it due? it will take a couple of weeks possibly and the return I have no Ideal on. if it is due buy early sept I would not make the dead line. I wish there was a way to get it electronically and I could print sign and return. Here the rules are lookin like I wont get to vote, Until I saw the comments in the forum I did not even know there was a ballot.

Ed

Ed, please email Linda Ferber, administrator, with your question for an official answer. I believe the deadline for voting is early or mid-October. linda@woodturner.org

Or why not have your wife fill in the ballot with your selections and send it back to St. Paul? It's not like you have to sign anything. The candidates' statements are on the AAW website and their profiles are in the journal, which is online, too. From there, you can figure out who you want to vote for.

Sending the ballot overseas and back . . . it could easily get lost or terminally delayed in the mail.

I also want to sincerely thank you for your service.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Last edited:
Website
www.turningnick.com
If nobody is in charge, who remove Al from the committee after Ron ask him to be on the committee?

So much for everyone moving forward!

As chairs, or co-chairs, they control the direction of the discussion, who is recognized and when they are not recognized. In charge? Given the actions by Dale and Board, I'll let you be the judge. I my opinion based on what I've read on this forum, Dale will try to be in charge. It will be up to you, Ron and the other members to not let that happen.

Regardless of what side the by-law committee members were on, I (I won't try to speak for the entire membership) am counting on all of you to do the right thing for the AAW. But you must remember, and here I think I can speak for a significant portion of the membership, we have a trust issue with certain persons on the committee. Guess who?

And the question is still out there: Who rejected (unappointed) Al Stramiello from the By-Laws committee. It wasn't Ron obviously. If not Dale, then who?

Frank

Voting dead line

Ed

Ed, It states on the ballot that October 21 is the dead line.

Curtis Thompson

Who's in charge?

Frank, Your guess as to who is in charge is probably right on as being Dale Larson. There is a lot of evidence that points to Dale as being the lead person in this whole mess. Dale has made about 40 percent of all the motions at the AAW board meetings in the last 15 months or so. He's the BoD self appointed leader, that clear to me. If you doubt my analysis, check the BoD minutes and you'll discover that it was Dale Larson that took the lead with a motion to remove Linda V. He's also the one who made the motion to remove Mary Lacer. He's also probably the one who hired an attorney behind the backs of the BoD and drew up the charges against Mary.

I've said all this to make the point that Dale Larson seems to be at the center of many decisions that end up inflaming the AAW membership.

Al Stramiello is removed from the re-write committee and no one seems to know who did it.

Curtis Thompson

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Those inclined to be inflamed will get so regardless.

Those inclined to work toward the future of AAW will do so regardless.

I'm thankful we have 8 men and women willing to do the tedious work of re-writing the by-laws.

I had the pleasure of serving on the AAW board 2006,2007, 2008, and june-dec 2009.

"Leadership" in the board is fairly dynamic in that the board values opinions of those speaking from an experience base.

If the subject is publications Jean with years publishing experience is the leader.
If the subject is auction sales Binh is the leader having organized the Katrina Relief effort and other successful auctions.
If the subject is symposiums Dale is the leader having worked Portland as a volunteer, Richmond as a committee member, and chair of the Hartford Symposium.

Regardless of how persuasive an individual is Board decisions are Board decisions.

I'm thankful we have nine people willing to serve AAW on the board of directors.

-Al

Last edited:
Al,

It appears a bull has been set loose in the china shop and it's done a lot of damage.

Shouldn't we be alarmed by that?

It also appears that the Bull is still knocking things over.

I understand you're content with the way things are going, but I'm not.

Some of the membership doesn't trust the BoD and we have a right to watch their actions and comment on them.

Curtis Thompson

Al,

It appears a bull has been set loose in the china shop and it's done a lot of damage.

Shouldn't we be alarmed by that?

It also appears that the Bull is still knocking things over.

I understand you're content with the way things are going, but I'm not.

Some of the membership doesn't trust the BoD and we have a right to watch their actions and comment on them.

Curtis Thompson
Curtis; we not only have the right to watch and comment on their actions, we have the duty.... Trust lost is almost NEVER regained.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
New ideas and constructive criticism are needed.

Whining for whining sake is not useful.

I do think the board is doing a fine job.

the local clubs I've been involved with have
a dozen doers, a lot of watchers, and a few whiners.

the doers do, the watchers help
and both ignore the whiners.

The AAW is much the same you have maybe a 100 active doers.

-Al

New ideas and constructive criticism are needed.

Whining for whining sake is not useful.

I do think the board is doing a fine job.

the local clubs I've been involved with have
a dozen doers, a lot of watchers, and a few whiners.

the doers do, the watchers help
and both ignore the whiners.

The AAW is much the same you have maybe a 100 active doers.

-Al

Al, I think you are over simplifing this matter. You can call me a whiner if you like, but you wouldn't be a very good AAW Advisor if you ignored me. After all a large group/segment (yes large) of the AAW membership would be classified as whiners according to you.

Al,

Maybe in this case, the doers, don't want the whiners, to know what the doers, are doing!

Whining for the sake of information and daylight being shed on the truth is really, doing good:D

Who removed Al Stramiello and why. Ron Sardo wanted him on the rewrite committee. someone wanted him off.

No one is answering this question. Instead it's all about the whiners again.

Al, do you know who wanted Al Stramiello off the committee?

Curtis Thompson

Curtis

Being new to the AAW (January) I have been reading with interest all the back and forth arguments, accusations, etc. regarding the ED. I finally got around to reading the BOD minutes of the last two years.

A very interesting piece of information in the Hartford Symp. board meeting in Feb.:

"Board – ED – lawyer relationship
Malcolm Tibbetts made a motion that no AAW board member should initiate communication with an outside lawyer unless directed to do so by the president. Dale Larson seconded the motion. A voice vote was taken. All in favor. Motion Passed"

Less than 6 months later BOD members violated that vote.

Not a huge confidence builder is it??????

Dick Wilson
Member #0040997

Back