• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Speaking of the Journal.......

Website
www.turningnick.com
On my commute home from work last night (50 minute bus & train ride), I thumbed through the last three copies of the journal. I thought the journal was very well balanced between turning techniques’ and artistic content.

I would like to see a forum posting or Journal article on summiting an article to the journal, including the photo requirements or criteria.

P.S. I emailed this posting to Betty Scarpino.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Website
www.turningnick.com
I agree.

Nick,

I agree. I think the American Woodturner is greatly improved. While I'm not into a lot of the "artsy" content, I always find plenty of content that does capture my interest. Not only that, I believe the quality of the content has improved. This is particularly true when compared with another woodturning magazine that finds its way to my mailbox. The current issues of both magazines arrived at my home within a few days of each other. The contrast in quality is striking. One of the major articles in the other magazine is a "how-to" piece. I've tried reading the article twice and I simply cannot follow the article. Oh, from the pictures and diagrams, I've figured out how to make the item, but the text was not very helpful. By comparison, the how-to articles in the American Woodturner are crystal clear. I think this reflects the steady hand of the AAW's journal's editor, Betty Scarpino.

I subscribed to the other magazine, in part, because I was somewhat disappointed in the American Woodturner. I liked the variety of content in the other magazine more and I found I spent more time with it. That's no longer the case. Not only do I get two more issues per year with the American Woodturner, the content is higher quality. So I've reversed myself and now read the American Woodturner before the other publication. I found the contrast between how I felt about the two publications two years ago and now revealing of the improvements Betty has made to the journal. For me, it's been a great and dramatic improvement -- even if I'm not all that into some of the artsy stuff.

Note: I've not mentioned the other magazine by name and I'd appreciate it if we don't speculate on the forum about what magazine I might be referring to. I do like the magazine and don't want to slam it. Nor do I wish to hold the author up to public ridicule. You never know how to apportion the blame among poor writing, poor editing, and poor reading. If you want to know the name of the magazine and the article I found so confusing, drop me a PM and I'll share that information offline.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Nick Not only do I know what magazine but I know what article. I also had trouble figuring out what he was talking about. Fortunately that is not the case for most of the article in that magazine or previous issues. I thoroughly enjoy both magazines although I do like American Woodturner more. I'm only half way through then latest issue and it's been very interesting.
The one thing we always have to remember. The AAW journal needs to keep us up to date on all AAW activites. This does limit the space for how to articles, interviews with turners,critics, and collectors, and tool usage. It is necessary and I like keeping up with organization but I know they get a lot of criticism for this.

Having written an article that was published in the Journal, I highly recommend touching base with Betty early in the process. Keeping her in the loop helps her do her job better, and helps you with suggestions for improvements.:)

Latest American Woodturner issue

The thing that really has been grabbing my attention has been the quality of the photographs. The front cover of this issue is a prime example.

smaller "how to" photos

The thing that really has been grabbing my attention has been the quality of the photographs. The front cover of this issue is a prime example.
You know I was just thinking the opposite. I just dug out an old journal and my suspicions are true-at least upon quick perusal
The pictures in the projects are smaller than before!!! And when I am trying to follow what someone is doing I can't see the "action" (i.e the tool, flute, etc).
For example in the journal spring of 2008, vol 23, #1, alot of the "how to" pics are 2" x 1 3/4", whereas Aug 2010, they are often 2"x1 1/8" , 2"x1 1/2", 1"x 1 1/8" . This was in several articles. Maybe my eye sight has diminished (and it has :(), but it was bothersome. Does any one else have the same criticism??
Yes-the artistic pieces were excellent.
Gretch

Gretch,

i had not noticed the size of photos so much. i just received my august 2010 AW, and i really like the cover. i was given about 12 AW from 2001, and the white cover is erily similar to the covers from 2001.

ps hats off to Brendan Stemp, i (and JRutten) was blown away by Kilkea. his process to achieve it and other turnings is pretty amazing. lots of good things in this isssue, thanks Betty and staff

Last edited:
. . .
The pictures in the projects are smaller than before!!! And when I am trying to follow what someone is doing I can't see the "action" (i.e the tool, flute, etc).
. . .
Gretch

Gretch, if you could give me a specific example -- which photo on which page, I'll take a look. Or, better yet, I could email you the high resolution image and you could take a real close-up look. (Or maybe Ed would let me post a high res image on AAW website for folks to take a look at the difference?)

It's a challenge to find a balance between word content and photo content as well as number of articles and complexity of articles. But there's always room for improvement. Admittedly I'm the sort of editor who wants to pack as much as possible into any one given issue. Just yesterday the layout folks sent me a PDF of a supposedly two-page article. The photos were tiny and squeezed into corners (what was I thinking?!). We expanded it to four pages, but now I'll have to hold until December the article I pulled to make space.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Last edited:
Gretch, if you could give me a specific example -- which photo on which page, I'll take a look. Or, better yet, I could email you the high resolution image and you could take a real close-up look. (Or maybe Ed would let me post a high res image on AAW website for folks to take a look at the difference?)

It's a challenge to find a balance between word content and photo content as well as number of articles and complexity of articles. But there's always room for improvement. Admittedly I'm the sort of editor who wants to pack as much as possible into any one given issue. Just yesterday the layout folks sent me a PDF of a supposedly two-page article. The photos were tiny and squeezed into corners (what was I thinking?!). We expanded it to four pages, but now I'll have to hold until December the article I pulled to make space.

Thanks, Betty for your quick response. All the pics in general are smaller. (aug 10, 20010) Pgs. 21,22,23,24-26, 27,,28.,30--31, etc. ON pg 35, the pics are 2"x7/8". For instance pic 7 says to part off the ring at the inside mark. I have to really concentrate to tell exactly where the tip is. It's there but would be more easily understood without having to really look hard. Pg 17 #3 is hard to see what the drill bit is. Pg 21-no/go for chucks the 2nd pic is so small I cannot make heads or tails what the author is depicting
I realize you want to pack in all the info. I am/was like that my self in my teaching years.!!!
I don't really need any clarification from you or aaw on specifics. Just an observation that these old eyes noticed it immediately. Keep up the good work for improving the journal. , Betty. Bigger and more photos may make each journal a tome!!!!

. . . Bigger and more photos may make each journal a tome!!!!

I am hopeful that the journal can go from 72 pages to 80 sometime in the near future. In the meantime, I'll pay more attention to size of photos -- your point is well taken.

The person who does the layout, Linnea Stenberg, I believe is in her 20s. Yes, eyesight makes a difference. And of course I get to see all the photos larger size, on my computer. I've found the transition from cut and paste layout (early 90s) to electronic fascinating. While I love electronically editing the journal, nothing beats seeing the final product on paper. I'm probably as excited as anyone else to receive my paper copy in the mail. (Assuming of course that everyone else is excited to see the journal :D .)

Back