• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Vega plus long strings of wet wood (pics)

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Howdy everyone

As promised, I have some pictures and impressions to share regarding my Vega lathe. This is not going to be comprehensive, but more like a first impression sort of thing. I am sure I will develop a better sense of what this lathe will and won't do as I continue to use it.

On Friday afternoon, I got to spin my first piece of wood on it. While a significant occasion, I am not one who gets all wrapped up in the gravity of the moment - unless gravity takes the opportunity to drop a heavy piece of wood or metal on my foot! :eek: I did not go looking for a special piece of wood, but rather I selected a slab of chestnut oak for a couple of reasons. First, it was already cut and I did not have to drag the chainsaw out and fight the weeds and humidity. Second, it was bone dry and needed turning before it became unusable. Finally, it is hard wood, and this particular piece started out at 16" by 2"+, a nice medium sized piece to start with.

I started the piece out on the supplied faceplate, which is a very heavy and well made 4" diameter chunk of steel with plenty of holes in it for holding wood. Just to be complete, I brought the tailstock up - well, I almost brought the tailstock up. Every lathe has its idiosyncrasies - that is why we call them that - and one of this lathe's peculiar features is that the tailstock, while having enormous travel, does not quite meet the center of the headstock with the supplied centers, or as I found out, with a skinny slab screwed to a faceplate. To those who are wondering, there is a 2" gap. This gap was quickly removed by installing my Oneway live center. I don't know that I really needed it, but I like to start rough pieces out with the tailstock for support, even when screwed to a faceplate. Call me a sissy if you like.

I started out on the slow speed range, which runs from 0-382 rpm or something like that. I had lots of torque, but I got a little impatient, so I switched the belt over to the high range, which is 0-2400 or thereabouts. I can see where the low range is going to be very nice for really big pieces that are unbalanced, but I think the thing is going to spend most of its time on the high range. There is a little loss of torque at the lower speeds on the high range, but that is not a real issue, and I may be overly sensitive to that, being used to the Poolewood and its direct drive.

I got the plate rounded and shaped on the bottom, and was just getting ready to reverse it when a good friend of mine, who I had not seen in months arrived. While he is a hobby turner, he has to work for a living, so we have not seen much of one another for a while. He had some time to see the new lathe, and after a while insisted that I continue to turn. This was probably not a good idea on my part, since I was jabbering away while cutting, and as a result, went quite a bit thinner than I intended at the bottom of the piece. I came very near to going through. Now, very near sounds a lot like veneer, and that is about what I have left on the bottom of this plate! I told my buddy that it was not a problem, and that I would just tell people it was art and supposed to be that way! It has some cracks in it which will lend integrity to support of the story if not to the integrity of the bowl. ;)

So by now you are probably thinking, "Is he going to show us a picture or not!?!"

chestnutoakplate01.jpg

Here is the lathe with the plate almost finished. Shavings are not much, but hey, it's a plate! I have some 24" walnut waiting to be bowls, but I need to get a coring tool post for my KM tool before that happens, because I am not turning walnut into shavings!

chestnutoakplate02.jpg

Here is a closeup of the plate. Nothing spectacular, but it is going to end up being pretty. As I type, finish is drying up in the shop, and if all goes well, it will end up looking like it is about 100 years old. More on that in a different post. The finished size is 15 1/2" x 1 1/2".

Overall, this is a very solid lathe. I need to spend some time with it to learn it better, but it is a very good fit for my shop, especially since it fits in my shop! Some initial impressions: The speed ranges are okay. I could wish for an intermediate one, but I can live with what it has. I have turned on just about every lathe on the market, and I can stall them all with an aggressive cut with the exception of my Poolewood. I can stall it too, but it has to be a real aggressive cut, or a real big outboard piece at a fairly slow speed. The tailstock has a bit of wobble in it, but it also sticks out well over a foot, and I had it stuck in a rough piece. It is dead on center when the proper centers are installed to bring it up to where they meet. I got the lathe to rock just a little bit, but I think the biggest reason for that is my stupid concrete floor, which was poured by drunken sailors. I will be fussing with it a bit, and may go as far as to (gasp!) bolt it to the floor to keep it from moving. The controls are simple, straightforward, and belt changes are relatively fast compared to some other lathes I have used. The machine is whisper quiet, the loudest noise coming from the fan that cools the electronics in the speed controller.

Working around the end is pure luxury. I have the same capability on the Poolewood both outboard and at the end, since its headstock pivots and slides the whole length of the bed, but in either case the setup time is nowhere near as fast as on the Vega. Within a matter of seconds I can twirl the lever at the end of the tailstock and it is off and out of the way. It takes about the same amount of time to reinstall it. The locking levers for the tool rest and banjo are very positive and stay where they are put. The tool rest istelf is not a cheesy piece of cast iron (the worst place for cast iron on a lathe in my opinion) but is steel, and formed for close support and comfortable use. Maximum height is 45" with the telescoping legs fully extended, and that is a little low for me, but I am going to leave it as it is. I like 48" for the spindle height, but that is high for most people, and I have a series of boxes for people to stand on when they come to use the Poolewood. Between this one and the Vicmarc, which adjusts from about 35" to 47", I have the whole range about covered. Tall people just have to stoop!

The lathe arrived in time for a two student class on Saturday, and both got to use it. Both have posted here, so perhaps they will offer a few comments on their experiences with it as well. If anyone has any questions, please let me know, and I will be glad to try and answer them.

Bill

I am one of the Saturday students

As one of the students at Bill's shop on saturday, I can speak for the Vega being an awesome piece of equipment. It is EXTREMELY quiet, yet powerful and stable. Being a fairly new turner, I was a little intimidated by it, because it is different than my Jet 1236 <--(understatement). Maybe I was just intimidated by the HUGE irregular slab of 'not so wet' curly maple spinning in front of me. However, the Lathe stood very still. Being new to the machine, the speed control dial seemed a bit sensitive, but I am sure one would get used to it pretty quickly.

I have to say how much I enjoyed spending the day with Bill and the other student, Joe. We had a very productive day, and I increased my bowl turning knowledge by 1000%. Bill is an excellent teacher (and very patient with me, the self-proclaimed 'slowest bowl turner in the world'.) I can't wait to get back in the shop and practice what I learned.

Ditto to what Matt said. We had a great time hanging out and taking shop with Bill and his lovely family. I learned a bunch of things and got a list of new toys to buy :) Bill's teachings on tool control were excellent, giving me the confidence to take cuts almost half as deep as he does :D And you need his DVD. I found myself glued to the screen, watching stuff that he had already taught us in class. It's that good.

The Vega is a lot of fun to play with. I really liked the way the banjo locks in place and I thought the removable tailstock was just the neatest thing, ever. Smooth, quiet, electronic controls. Just a nice tool to use.

-Joe

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Hi guys

Matt and Joe, I think you are going to be looking at lathes differently now!

Jeff, the shop door is always open, and you would not be the first one from Austin. I had a turner from Austin here just a few weeks ago, and he was driving!

Bill

Website
www.cwsonline.com.au
Bill one thing I have noticed is that it seems a long way from the headstock to the front of the lathe .
I am more used to the DVR with the swivel head so you have access right up to the work peice. There is no stand or feet to contend with .
As in the vega you have a large box to work around, do you feel as if you are reaching over the lathe.
I realize the design of the lathe is so they can have the use of the tailstock but it may have been better with a triangle shape to give better access.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Jim Carroll said:
Bill one thing I have noticed is that it seems a long way from the headstock to the front of the lathe .
I am more used to the DVR with the swivel head so you have access right up to the work peice. There is no stand or feet to contend with .
As in the vega you have a large box to work around, do you feel as if you are reaching over the lathe.
I realize the design of the lathe is so they can have the use of the tailstock but it may have been better with a triangle shape to give better access.

Hi Jim

Sorry to be so long in responding, but your comment made it past my "zone of awareness". The lathe looks like it would get in its own way, and that was a concern of mine when I went to test drive it, but I can tell you that you do not need arms like a monkey to turn on it. Even with my ample turning muscle, I can get right up on the work from any angle. :D

Bill

Bill, yours is the first third-party commentary that I have ever seen on the Vega Bowl lathe. I looked at the Vega website prior to my last lathe purchase (2003), but found their website short on detail and the product imagery weak. Not that they are the only ones with that problem, but since they seem to have no other contact with the community, they never became anything but a curious blip at the far edge of my radar screen.

In reviewing your photos and preliminary testimonial, it appears they make a stellar product. So I have to wonder: “What’s up with Vega? Why don’t they participate in the community?â€Â

I purchased my last lathe largely on the basis of a live demo at the Pasadena AAW symposium. It would have been nice to see a Vega lathe at the same time. If not there, at least somewhere! I attend the Woodworking and Woodworks shows when they come around and I’ve never seen Vega there either.

I don’t expect you to answer for them. Just wondering out loud. Maybe they have a good reason. Who knows?

BH

Andy Hoyt

In Memoriam
Website
www.downscaledesigns.com
You'd think that a company building a product for this (or any other industry) would pay attention to what's said in these forums. Much like a focus group. But my experience in other industries show that they don't. Geez, even if they lurked they might learn something about themselves. Perhaps this thread will cause them to surface. Let's hope so.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Hi Bob

I cannot speak for Vega with any sort of authority, although I have had many a conversation with Randy McKinney who is the main contact person there. I believe they are working on the PR thing, and becoming more active in the section of the turning world we inhabit. It is my understanding that for a long time their main market has been industry and spindle turning. For example, and I am not sure my facts are completely straight, there was supposed to be a Vega bowl lathe at the symposium in KC, but the vendor had some problems and could not get it there. By the time the folks at Vega found out, it was too late to do anything. So no one got to see it.

The whole thing was below my radar screen too until a friend of mine reminded me of its existence. Now, me being me, I am a blabbermouth, and like to talk about things like this. In a way it is kind of exotic. Both of my big machines are ones that most people do not own or have not even seen in real life, so it is always a blast to see the reactions when people come in the shop. The Poolewood is a collector's item now, so no one is going to see more of them, but who knows, I may be a missionary for Vega? :D A lot of people write me privately for advice on buying a lathe, and it is nice to have one that is currently in production.

Bill

The only Vega.......

I have ever seen was in catalogs. One of the local tool vendors sells them but they don't keep them in stock. Being an industrial supplier the Vega company probably didn't consider the bowl lathe a priority. So you can't blame the vendor, they had no incentive to push the product. As for the Poolewood I was fortunate to have turned on one. It was and is a fine piece of machinery. Bill marches to his own drum, I'm not surprised he tracked the Vega down. :D

Last edited:
Back