• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A New Tool In My Shop (pics)

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Greetings all

I'm posting this wherever I posted before about my journey to purchasing the Vega bowl lathe. The Vega has landed, and is safely in the shop! I had some minor adventures in getting it there, but isn't that what life is like when acquiring heavy machinery?

billsvega01.jpg

Here we see the machine as it arrived. I picked it up at the dock. I would have been able to pick it up yesterday, but someone did not see the big red block printing across the bill of lading that said "LEAVE ON DOCK". So it went for a ride in the country, ostensibly for the purpose of being delivered to my door. However, since they had the wrong name (i.e. half my name) and the wrong road (i.e. half the name of the road) the driver could not find me. This is probably from the same person who did not see the big block printing. Anyway...

I arrived at the dock to discover the see through crate the thing came in. Much to my surprise, it was pristine! There were no scratches, it was right side up, there were no ugly holes from a fork lift being rammed through its heart or anything! This is probably the first time I have ever received anything via common carrier that did not look like it had been dragged behind the truck. The dock supervisor put it on the truck, and off I went. I spent the rest of the day driving around with this lathe in the back of the truck, since all my friends and family have real jobs, and no one was around to help unload it.

Come evening, SWMBO came home, and we recruited the neighbor. We installed the Harbor Freight truck lift, slid the lathe off its skid onto my fingers (OUCH) and then onto the lift. SWMBO did the heavy lifting by pressing the down button. Just as an aside, if you have a pickup truck with a class 3 receiver on the back, you need one of these HF truck lifts. They go on sale for $199.99 or something like that, and shipping is free, or at least it was when I bought mine. It saves a lot of grunt work when it comes to lifting logs, lathes, and other heavy items that could mean a truss in one's future.

billsvega02.jpg

Here is a shot of it in its new home in the shop. It is sitting right next to my MM 20 bandsaw, which is right by the door. From the pickup, to the bandsaw, to the Vega, and its done! I need to work on that wall a bit to get some storage over there, and some better insulation, but it is in a great place. There is room all around, and I can move between it and the Poolewood easily (the Poolewood is hidden behind that big slab of maple), and with the Vicmarc mini set up next to the combo machine, I will be able to supervise three students from a swivel chair! Everyone will be able to turn without having to worry about shavings flying from their neighbor.

billsvega03.jpg

Here is a closer shot. The cage is going away of course. I may saw most of it off and use the stub end for a wood platform where I can put some tools and a Moffatt light. The tailstock comes off in seconds if I need to put the big table on the combo machine for sawing up sheet goods, and the bandsaw is on wheels if I need to do some long sawing that will not go past the Vega.

I got a plug on the end and turned it on to see it run. It is as quiet as the Poolewood. The digital readout is in frequency rather than rpm, but it is going to be relatively simple math to get the actual speed. If the lathe is shaking, turn the speed down, right? I won't get a chance to turn on it until Thursday or Friday, but I will be sure to report again on it. Overall it looks like a great machine!

Bill

Congratulations

Congratulations Bill,
Every man should have 3 lathes. I am sure that you will like the Vega. I have a friend with one and he loves it.
Aloha, Doug
:cool2:

Excellent

Hey Bill, that floor looks WAAAAY too clean. How 'bout I come up there, say saturday, and put some shavings on there for you?

See you soon.

Umm, I only have one lathe, but it's also a table saw, disc sander, drill press, "router" (yea right), jig saw, jointer (3"), and inline boring machine (ie, I have a shopsmith). Makes a great concrete massage therapist when roughing out natural logs.

I envy you my friend, that looks like one nice, steady, bowlturning monster. Have fun! Meanwhile I'll be chasing the shopsmith around the shop until the lathe fairy leaves a Delta under my pillow.

Website
www.woodturner.org
Bill,

I don't know what I like better
- the pics of your new lathe in the shop
- or the story about how you acquired and unloaded it

In any event it looks like a great addition to your shop and I sure don't see any shavings around it yet. Are you seriously telling us that you had time to take pictures of it before you put some wood on it and started cranking out shavings!?!?! :eek:

Bill,
Congratulations! Great advice with the HF lift as well.
I am really interested to hear how you like the lathe. What is the max diameter of a bowl that it can turn?
Thanks for chronicaling your odyssey.
David Galloway

Congrats!!!

Nice machine Bill. How about a review after about a month or so of making shavings?

Congratulations Bill, turn some wood on it and give us a good review. For unloading equipment I prefer the 50 hp tractor at the farm with the front end loader that converts to a fork system!

Is anyone else wondering what type of medieval torture system uses that board in the top of the first picture with all the hooks and rings?! :rolleyes:

Jeff - if you think this write up is fun, go to Bill's website and read about him unloading the bush hog!!!! I laughed till tears came - our Bill Grumbine has a way with the english language!! :D

Wilford

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Howdy guys

Matt, you will have your choice when you get here, but I thought for sure you would pick the Vicmarc mini! :p

Redfish, this is a current production model, but it comes up a little short in the spindle dept at only 17" capacity.

Jeff, I had to take some pictures before people came to the house with torches and pitchforks! I had a student on Monday, and he was very disappointed that it had not yet arrived. Like Redfish, he is turning on a Shopsmith right now, and is looking to upgrade. Got it home Tuesday night, and dontcha know I had to take my gouge and travel to teach on Wednesday!

David, the specs say 26" over the ways, 24" over the tool rest. I can still go larger on the Poolewood by going to the outboard rest, but this one has the advantage of the tailstock for support.

Jake, I will be sure to review it after putting it through its paces.

Wilford, I would love to be able to use a set of forks on a large tractor, but finding a set that will fit the Super Dexta is tough. I found a loader (new) that could be adapted, but it was $4000! :eek: Used are real scarce, and this tractor has armstrong steering, so you know what that means when there is a heavy load on the front. One of these days I will have a machine like you describe.

Everyone who comes in the shop asks about those rings. For the past ten years I have been turning all the tap handles for a local micro brewery. I must have made close to 1000 by now. They are shaped like beer bottles, stained with a dark mahogany stain, and varnished with a water base varnish. Then the brewery puts a label on each one as well as a bottle cap, and there you have a wooden beer bottle beer tap. I screw them onto the rings to dip them in a tank of stain, and then hang them to dry. The rings also hold them for spraying.

Stay tuned for more to come!

Bill

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Bill Grumbine said:
For the past ten years I have been turning all the tap handles for a local micro brewery. I must have made close to 1000 by now.
Bill
Now we are talkin'! Yet another reason to travel for a class.

I am smellin' what the Grumeister is brewin"!

I guess I shouldn't ask you how the brewery pays you for those thousand or so turnings?

Can you say "barter"?

David

Now we know what makes Bill such a "HAPPY" fellow and so much fun to be around!!!!! :D

Bill,

My tractor came with an Allied loader made in Canada when purchased about 7 years ago. If you want me to I can pull the book and get contact info for you to check into - I could not run the farm without the loader!! I had to call Allied after I got the tractor for some help on a valve installed wrong and they were great to work with.

Wilford

How was it............

by now I'm sure you've taken a shake down cruise at least? So did it live up to expectations? :cool2:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Jake Debski said:
by now I'm sure you've taken a shake down cruise at least? So did it live up to expectations? :cool2:

Hi Jake

I did some turning on it on Friday, doing a 15 1/2" chestnut oak platter, and Joe turned some on it Saturday. I have some pictures which I will be posting but I am in my office, the camera is in the shop, and it is pouring rain, so they will have to wait. It is a very nice machine, and did a great job. More to come hopefully tomorrow.

Bill

Back