• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

How long in the AAW?

I'm member # 5925 and am wondering about what year that would make it that I joined the AAW. I joined at the Indianapolis woodworking show but can't remember what year that was. I work at a Woodcraft Store and we were talking about it today.

I'm not sure if the date of AAW membership is always accurate. In my case, I'm pretty sure I joined in 2003, but I allowed my membership to lapse (I tried to renew online and didn't notice that my renewal bounced). When I rejoined, I was given a new AAW number and a new join date.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
That would be July 2008

No, Mike, that's the date he joined the forum not the year he became a dues paying member. For some, it very well may the the same, but certainly not for those of us who have been members before the forum existed.

I think Marvin would have to call the national office to find out.

I was hoping the AAW site would show my join date in my profile but no such luck. How about member # 2682 approximately when would that be, even the wife can't remember, now that's weird.

William N. Nelson

I joined in 2001 or 2, the same year I joined my local chapter. I wanted to attend the Providence Symposium, which was held in '02. My # 19533, must reflect the large # of members that came and went before me.

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'll have to look up my number. I've been wondering when I joined. It was somewhere between 90 and 95 I think. I came to Tennessee TEch in 87. Not terribly long after that they had the Tennessee symposium at the Appalachian Craft center which is part of our school. I went and was so impressed I joined the AAW and TAW later that week. I've always wondered when that was.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
My membership went active Jan 1 2010, and my number is 36030

Marvin- I joined ..

...sometime in 1988 and my number is 4026. It is somewhat confusing to see these current 5 digit numbers now that are way above the actual number of about 13,600 members, so the turnover of expired and new numbers relates little to date anymore. I hesitate to use that "expired" term in this context of older and older members!

Last edited:
Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
I am member #2328. Last time Mary and Alan were here at the house I asked Mary and she said to contact the office and they would have the join year. I went to the Utah symposium in I think 86 so joined the AAW sometime around then. Oh, I never did ask the office.

membership report

What is the member number range this year? Any recent members?

John

Linda Ferber just sent out the July report on membership numbers. At the end of July, there were 13,634 members, the highest it's ever been.

I think the new membership numbers that are being assigned are somewhere in the 40,000 range.

I joined in 1986 and my membership number is 1001, so Bob Edwards, if your number is 1210, then you most likely joined in 1986 or 1987.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

I feel pretty good about being ahead of John with something. My number is 1241. :) I still do a little name dropping once and a while when I tell them I learned that at my John Jordan class.

AAW membership information

Marvin - From the membership records at AAW we show that you joined 03/1992.

Give me a call if you have any questions. Linda Ferber 651 484 9094

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if the date of AAW membership is always accurate. In my case, I'm pretty sure I joined in 2003, but I allowed my membership to lapse (I tried to renew online and didn't notice that my renewal bounced). When I rejoined, I was given a new AAW number and a new join date.

David, We try to check the rejoin when a person means to renew. Some slip by, the numbers are not reused. Give us a call if you want it checked further. Linda Ferber 651 484 9094

I don't have a problem remembering my join date. I joined AAW a month after it was formed at Arrowmont in 1986. A friend attended that gathering and came home and told me about it.

I have a collection of every copy of the Journal. The first few were mimeographed and were just a few pages.

Wally Dickerman
Member #164

How long in AAW?

Marvin;
The numbers are not absolute, but generally indicative. I joined in July, 1988.

Norm Hinman. #3404

I don't have a problem remembering my join date. I joined AAW a month after it was formed at Arrowmont in 1986. A friend attended that gathering and came home and told me about it.

I have a collection of every copy of the Journal. The first few were mimeographed and were just a few pages.

Wally Dickerman
Member #164

Wally,

A very early member, well known, still an active and respected turner. Sweet, and very enviable. I salute you sir.

Arrowmont was 1985

The concept for the AAW was discussed and presented at the "Woodturning - Vision and Concept" conference that was held at Arrowmont (Gatlinburg, TN ), September 9 t0 12, 1985. Membership info was sent out to turners early in 1986.

I still have the T-shirt.

Edward T

That's me. I joined @ four years ago.
Someone posted that they had joined in January and their # was @42,000. That's a fantasitic jump in membership. To whom should such progress be attributed?

Back