• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.
While there seems to be quite a bit of activity on this part of the forum I thought I would ask a couple questions about AAW Membership. I have been a member for a few years but let my membership lapse at the end of last year. For several reasons it's difficult for me to cough up the membership renewal fees in January. Is there any reason why your membership has to be renewed at the beginning of each year instead of just being able to renew it on the anniversary of the date you joined? I realize that you get the back issues of the magazine, etc regardless of when you join. But just curious as to why the renewal has to be at that certain time of year to avoid a lapse.

Only guessing, but probably because the printed Resource Directory is compiled from the roster as of the preferred renewal date. If you can handle the accounting, you could set aside some loot in an interest-bearing account, and pay the renewal fee from that at the proper time. Sort of a Christmas gift to yourself.

Curtis,

I'm not one hundred percent certain, but I think you can renew at anytime during the year you are an active member. All you are doing is paying forward. I once paid my dues twice because I was very busy and forgot that I had already paid. My membership then was good for two years.

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
A quote from the AAW membership page:

"AAW membership operates on a January 1 – December 31 calendar year. If someone becomes a new member at the mid-year point or later, they will have the option of choosing to receive the current year’s past and future issues of American Woodturner, or elect to have their new membership take effect on January 1 of the next calendar year, and receive that year’s American Woodturner editions."

So, sounds like you have the option to pay whenever and have the new membership or renewal effective with past January 1 or next January 1.

Curtis, my understanding is that you can renew anytime you have the money at hand, that's pretty much what I do, and it's worked fine...

If you log on to the members area using your original membership # when you do renew ... that way they will find you in the database and credit your account accordingly, and you'll get to keep your same membership number etc.

In the computer age of keeping track of memberships there is no reason to not be able to change the way memberships are done. Start the month of payment, and expire 12 months later would be an easy change in the rules.

...would be an easy change in the rules.

...and a re-write of the membership database, and a need to design new tools for the St Paul office operation, and a new set of operating procedures, and additional mailing costs for renewal reminders, and...

R

Ron Sardo

In the computer age of keeping track of memberships there is no reason to not be able to change the way memberships are done. Start the month of payment, and expire 12 months later would be an easy change in the rules.

While it would be easy to change the rules (and I would prefer a month to month myself) the logistics would not be so easy. The first year or two would bring in extra costs to make the change over.

Monthly renewal systems requires more manpower (read that as it would take more hours to handle this system) than a yearly renewal system.

If the database can be converted to an excel file (most can) it wouldn't be to difficult to make changes that will be needed.

People are less likely to miss renewals on a yearly system than a monthly system. At least that is what I found out when I was handling magazine subscriptions for the magazine I used to print.

All in all, a yearly system is simpler and more cost effective when compared to a monthly system.

Ron, you are 100% correct. BTW, this subject has been discussed many times by AAW leadership in the past, and intensely over the past year.
I'm not trying to ignite another contoversy, it's just a question I've had since joining the AAW and I thought that with all the attention to the forum, now would be a good time to ask. There are very few yearly subscriptions, licenses, etc that don't work of an anniversary renewal date anymore. I'm employed in construction which is pretty seasonal in my area so over the years I've tried to regulate my expenses so they don't all hit in the winter. But I understand that the AAW is a non profit and runs on a tight budget and changes cost money. I was just curious. Thanks for the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back