• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Regional Symposium

Website
www.seantroy.com
With all the hoopla going on recently about the AAW BOD's and such, some of the good things in woodturning are not getting airtime. A very well run regional symposium is coming up and deserves mention. The Desert Woodturning Roundup in Mesa Az. They have a heck of a great line up as always and has been regarded as one of the premier symposiums in the country.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Don't forget the Georgia symposium in September. It's beautiful down there that time of year and they have some great demonstrators.
http://www.gawoodturner.org/2010Symposium.shtml
With Nick Cook and Alan both demonstrating if you can't use a skew by the time this is over then you weren't paying attention. Johannes Michelson will be there to turn hats so if the skew isn't your cup of tee then how about turning thin and making a hat.

Link to DWR

With all the hoopla going on recently about the AAW BOD's and such, some of the good things in woodturning are not getting airtime. A very well run regional symposium is coming up and deserves mention. The Desert Woodturning Roundup in Mesa Az. They have a heck of a great line up as always and has been regarded as one of the premier symposiums in the country.

Here's a link to the website for more information on the DWR Sean mentioned: http://www.desertwoodturningroundup.com/

It'll be held February 18 - 20, 2011.

Michaels,
There is a sticky thread that already lists many of these Symposia (symposiums?) in the Main Forum. If anyone has additions to the list, please let me know and I will update it.

Website
www.katherinekowalski.com
12th Annual Rocky Mountain Woodturning Symposium
Sept 11th - 12th, 2010, Loveland, Colorado
http://www.rmwoodturningsymposium.com/

We have a fantastic line-up of demonstrators this year, including Jimmy Clewes, Stuart Mortimer, David Marks, David Nittmann, Trent Bosch, and many more!

Katherine

I believe the Utah Symposium is the oldest, 31 years.

The 2011 Desert Woodturning Roundup looks very promising. The demonstrator lineup was just announced and includes Mike Mahoney, Christian Burchard, Lyle Jamieson, Mark Sfirri, Al Stirt, Stephen Hatcher, Don Ward, and Ron Goble. There aren't many better places to be in February than the Phoenix metro area, highs will probably be in the 70s.

I'm told online registration should be up and running any day now.

Jason

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
I believe the Utah Symposium is the oldest, 31 years.

The 2011 Desert Woodturning Roundup looks very promising. The demonstrator lineup was just announced and includes Mike Mahoney, Christian Burchard, Lyle Jamieson, Mark Sfirri, Al Stirt, Stephen Hatcher, Don Ward, and Ron Goble. There aren't many better places to be in February than the Phoenix metro area, highs will probably be in the 70s.

I'm told online registration should be up and running any day now.

Jason

I really was thinking of the AAW chapter sponsored events, but did not know the Utah Symposium was that long running.

John

Back