• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Are we under a cyber attack?

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Looks like our faithful webmaster has restored the forum interface after the hacking. Thanks for taking care of this so quickly... less than 2 hours!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I don't really know if it was a hacker but I was able to navigate to all of the forum web pages in a somewhat stripped down archived read-only text format. It might have been this site's archived files -- if so, it looks things are just hanging there out in the open for anybody to monkey with.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I didn't see that Bill.
It appears someone got in and edited a template that redirected everything.
I was able to find a piece of software to fix it and, viola!

It actually doesn't appear to be something in the vBulletin software that let them in. The root cause (linux humor) will take some time to find out the issue.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I saw the same thing. When visiting urls of previously viewed pages, all the data was present... the CSS looked like it was missing You could navigate through the forums as long as you avoided the forum home page.

I am constantly amazed ...

.. that you guys seem to actually understand how these boxes work! I come from the old school of electronics were we troubleshoot by tearing into circuit boards and switching wire leads!! Ya' done good!!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It did not occur to me to save any links until I wound up at the following directory tree which looks like it might be on the AAW site or maybe somebody added something or is spoofing it.

http://www.whoknowswhathappenedtotheforums.org. Theactual link is real -- only the visible part has been disguised. It looks like an archived backup.

The way that I got in was when the link on the home page redirected, I just went to another page and eventually navigated to the directory tree in the link. Very interesting.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The IP address of the link is: 208.68.139.89 which seems legitimate since it is the same as what I get when pinging the real forum address (unless, of course, this is not really the real forum site and all you guys actually are just a gang of hackers). :D

The IP of the AAW main site is: 66.179.10.109 just so folks know that the two sites are different.

Try this...

command on your Linux server, Steve. It will take care of all your troubles. You need to run it as root:

rm -R *

Back