• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Maple Medley Catalog

Jeff,

Yes, it's my understanding that the AAW’s Gallery of Wood Art, located in the same building as the main office in St Paul, has been around for several years, and is a very under-utilized AAW asset. The AAW's permanent collection is housed there, as well an ongoing series of rotating exhibits - all run by Tib Shaw, an employee of AAW. They also have a gift shop, filled with consignment turnings made by AAW members - pretty cool!

That really is a great showcase ...and with a very nice balance between "traditional" work and "artistic" and "explorative" work. I don't like any of those terms particularly, but I don't have any better ones either.

I know that there are quite a number of folks who feel that the "original" flavor of the AAW and what we are supposed to be about has somehow been lost or diluted by all the fresh and creative ideas that have exploded in the last twenty or so years.

I think this showcase is evidence that our "roots" are still represented quite strongly, yet at the same time the "newer" and more exploratory work is being acknowledged and celebrated also.

That's how it struck me anyway... kudos to all those responsible for putting this together.
Nice work!

Tib Shaw

AAW Gallery Curator
Staff member
Website
www.galleryofwoodart.org
Gallery in the Journal

Hi Jeff-

The AAW Gallery of Wood Art has been featured in several articles in American Woodturner, and the current shows are always listed in the calendar section. There is a to the gallery site on the AAW main site, too: http://www.woodturner.org/gallery/

If you are in St. Paul I hope you will stop by - the exhibits include contemporary work as well as antique treen pieces, and vintage and reproduction lathes.

I can almost always peg the visiting turners...you can tell that they are itching to run their fingertips inside the vessels! Another dead giveaway is when their spouse leans over and whispers, "Honey, can you make one of those for me?"

Website
www.californiawoodartist.com
and my piece is a part of the cover!

Your little splash of red against the field of green is aesthetically pleasing on the cover.

Some people start looking at a book from the back pages first and you are close to the jurors' statements. It is also advantageous to be on the right hand side of the spread as you are. Alphabetical order has worked to your advantage.

Back