• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cedartreat Wood Stabilizer

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Aloha...
Just heard about a wood stabilizer CEDARTREAT which supposedly gels the moisture in the wood and allows green wood to be finished in weeks instead of months. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this product.
Link: http://honoluluwoodturners.org/index_files/cedartreat.htm[/FONT]

Aloha...
Found a supplier on the Big Island of Hawaii who sells 1 gallon for $43. They use it to treat their bamboo and sell it to the local woodturners who swear by it. I have purchased a couple of gallons and will give some follow-up when I have used it for a few months.
Email: ninolepalmhearts@gmail.com
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Ninole Orchards
PO Box 85
Ninole, Hawaii 96773[/FONT]

Interesting chemistry. Seems the proper silanes do what the alcohol people claim alcohol does, stealing and using up the H bonding sites where bound water would normally be held. They also do what higher-molecular weight alcohols (used because they're miscible with water) like glycerine and PEG in its many weights do - bulk the structure. Of course, most turnings don't need the cedar oil, it's just there to hold the silane, a dangerous item on its own. Could be other oils as well in a product strictly designed for stabilization, not an insect/water repellant. The oil is just a vehicle.

I've been using this product for about 9 months now and swear by it. It's worked great for almost all the woods I've tried it on. Quite frankly, I don't know why it's not talked about more often (I know I have). I use it on roughed out blanks and brush it on heavily. Here in NC, the blank is down to about 10-14 percent moisture in a week to 10 days and ready to final turn. It's not cheap, but lasts a long time. I love the stuff.
Don L.

Back