• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is there interest?

Online Turning chapter

Hi Sean,

I would be interested. For the first time in about 8 years I didn't sign up with my local chapter. It wasn't because of anything that was their fault it was just that their meetings are on Monday. Monday nights are implementation nights at my work. Last year I think I made 2 out of the 12 meetings. With dues being $60 that's $30 per meeting. Just doesn't make economic sense for something I can rarely make. So, as long as meeting aren't on Monday nights, I'm in.

At first blush it seems like a good idea; on second thought it seems like it would be just another online forum.

That being said, I'm still up for it. I for one would like to see an online area not quite so impersonal and with more direct participation from the "members."

I'll have to give it some more thought and see if I can come with some more useful ideas.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
If it's just another Forum I don't see much advantage to it. you could ask any questions here. If it's a chat room so it's more like a club meeting of some sort then it might be interesting. I was wondering about a demonstrator sort of thing but how would you do that in a forum. It's difficult in a chat room because you can't see photos.

I can see the concerns about it just being another forum. But I can also see the benefit over say this forum or others.

First it would only open to members of the chapter. And due to that could be much more free in expression. While I think the rules are great here and are needed to keep things civil. I could also see them being somewhat limited. For example I am only allowed to show pictures of my work on this forum. That really limits if I want to post pics of a turning and go - how do you think they did something like this kind of question. Or for example I was given a turning from a world famous turner - I posted a picture of it to share with everyone - with the new rules would that not be allowed? So a private forum could be cool in that regard and allow much more freedom of expression and words etc. Of course with that comes how far do you let it go - it amazes me what people wil say on a forum - private or otherwise they would NEVER say in person.

Using the right software a live video demo could be done as could sharing of photos. Of course there are lots of other forums out there already - some private - like WOW. However none of them as official AAW chapters.

But done right I could see it having a place

R

If it's just another Forum I don't see much advantage to it. you could ask any questions here. If it's a chat room so it's more like a club meeting of some sort then it might be interesting. I was wondering about a demonstrator sort of thing but how would you do that in a forum. It's difficult in a chat room because you can't see photos.

So why not have it set up to go on Skype with your camera & all have a club meeting this is entirely possible. Service people are keeping in touch with their families this way now days.

The nearest club meeting for me would be more than a full day's work to get there and back, which is not practical at all, so it's an interesting idea.

I have no clue how such a thing might be conducted. Skype or an equivalent would be no use to me; there's no way I can get an internet connection that would support it. Too isolated for anything but satellite here.
I'm almost entirely self-taught, and have yet to see another human being in the flesh actually turning wood, nor have I ever turned with another woodturner as an observer. The occasional video and, since I got internet recently these online forums, is the only contact with other turners available at my house without an overnight trip.

So, yeah, an interesting notion, depending on how it was set up.

Website
www.seantroy.com
The nearest club meeting for me would be more than a full day's work to get there and back, which is not practical at all, so it's an interesting idea.

I have no clue how such a thing might be conducted. Skype or an equivalent would be no use to me; there's no way I can get an internet connection that would support it. Too isolated for anything but satellite here.
I'm almost entirely self-taught, and have yet to see another human being in the flesh actually turning wood, nor have I ever turned with another woodturner as an observer. The occasional video and, since I got internet recently these online forums, is the only contact with other turners available at my house without an overnight trip.

So, yeah, an interesting notion, depending on how it was set up.

What type of setup would work for you? I'd like to hear ideas on what would make this a worthwhile endeavor, what would be of interest enough to make it worth joining. The one thing that would be appealing is very low cost dues. The only overhead is hosting cost and possibly some software needed to enhance the site usability. No rental cost or lathe purchase. i'm sure there is some way to set up an online library. The rest would be volunteer work.

What type of setup would work for you? I'd like to hear ideas on what would make this a worthwhile endeavor, what would be of interest enough to make it worth joining. The one thing that would be appealing is very low cost dues. The only overhead is hosting cost and possibly some software needed to enhance the site usability. No rental cost or lathe purchase. i'm sure there is some way to set up an online library. The rest would be volunteer work.

I'd be interested.

I joined a ww club that meets on the first Tuesday every month & their alter ego WT club meets I believe on the 3 Thursday every month but I have another meeting each week on that day.
So being able to do it right at home would work great.

I don't know much about Skype accept it's free.

What type of setup would work for you?
I wish I could say; first of all computers and their capabilities is not my thing, so I'm unaware of the options out there.
All I do know is that satellite internet is the worst of all possible worlds (except for dialup); it's relatively slow, it has enormous lag time, it's erratic, it has severe FAP restrictions on download volume, and it's expensive as hell.
Beats living in a city though. :cool2:

I suppose that means that any realtime link would be unworkable, and any data intensive downloads like video or whatever would exceed the FAP cap in about fifteen minutes, except for midnight to 5am (mountain time) when it does not apply.

My situation is so stone age I think it would be futile to try tailoring anything with hermits like me as a benchmark! You'd end up with something like the old BBS systems. :D

Interesting proposal.

For those with link limitations - they could always listen via phone and/or watch a recorded webfeed (simple enough to do).

Demonstrations would be pretty much the same as a real club considering it's tough to see in person too :p

There are methods that enable real time video, without too significant a bandwidth requirement - the sat link internet would be challenged due to lag - but buffering can often overcome that if you set it deep enough.

Intrigued...

michael

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I like this idea, I could drink beer and watch demos or video pod casts or something like that.

Is there a SKYPE that allows one to many? So the demo'er could broadcast and multiple people could watch it?
And can it be recorded?

R

Ron Sardo

Yes, it's not free for the chapter, but it's free for its members

Is there any interest in an Online type AAW Chapter...

I'd think the answer is yes, even for folks belonging to bricks and mortar clubs. I know I would be interested.

I'd assume the online chapter would have to be a virtual offshoot of an active club that has regular, well attended meetings with lots of demos etc. The virtual members would pay dues to the physical club, probably reduced dues as they wouldn't have access to the club members physically, nor any libraries etc. Each meeting would be streamed for the virtual members.

The rules for this forum would not apply to this new online club.

If you check out TheWoodWhisperer (http://thewoodwhisperer.com/) and goto the Live Chat/Video link at the top you'll see that he uses Ustream for streaming video and chat. He has a paid guild and does demos and questions. Marc is very aware of the technology and its use for this type of stuff.

I'd think this technology would work for a virtual turning club as well.

Can anyone post what the dues for physical clubs typically are?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Can anyone post what the dues for physical clubs typically are?

I think that it varies all over the place and that there is not a "typical" amount. Maybe mean or median values would be more useful, but I doubt that anyone has bothered collecting data and calculating these numbers. More practical is to determine operating expenses as a basis for setting dues.

Back