• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning 25 - A Celebration: call for entries now open

Ed,
Looking at the link, I have a huge question for you folks.

Since you want all chapters to be represented, then maybe you should drop the entry fee for the exhibit. You make the stipulation that all pieces must be for sale, and there is to be a split if a chapter sends one in. The 70-30 split is fine and fair, and if a chapter's piece does not sell, then that chapter either donates it for a future event, or pays for the return shipping.

just my .02

Jerry

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Jerry, the $40 entry fee is indeed steep. The exhibition committee struggled with setting the fee, but the show will require expensive acrylic display boxes. Because of the public location of the display, security is a concern. The clear cubes will address the security concerns; while at the same time create a very attractive exhibit. Add the cost of return shipping to the cost of the cubes, and there will be no profit. In fact, the AAW treasury will have to partially subsidize the show.

I think this show has the potential to be the most incredible display of woodturnings ever assembled and I encourage all chapters and members to get involved.

Ed,
Looking at the link, I have a huge question for you folks.

Since you want all chapters to be represented, then maybe you should drop the entry fee for the exhibit. You make the stipulation that all pieces must be for sale, and there is to be a split if a chapter sends one in. The 70-30 split is fine and fair, and if a chapter's piece does not sell, then that chapter either donates it for a future event, or pays for the return shipping.

just my .02

Jerry

Jerry,

Malcolm provides a good answer to your question. I would point out further that for each chapter's piece, an acrylic cube will be made to hold and display the work. The cubes will be hung on an 8 foot high panel wall we will construct that will be someplace between 50 and 100 feet long. This has the potential to be a very impressive exhibit, one that will cost more to put up than the chapter entry fee will cover. The usual exhibit entry fee for an individual has been $25. I would think that most, if not all, chapter's treasuries can handle a $40 fee without much pain. Whether the item sells or not, there is still a shipping cost to cover, as well as the cost for the exhibit catalog that will be given each chapter. This will be a very special event I believe chapters, participating members, and all attendees will truly appreciate. The exhibit will showcase woodturning today, and how far it has come in the 25 years since the AAW began. This is a celebratory exhibit that will involve more expense than usual, but one I think the chapters will want to be a part of and one they will be able to afford.

This will be a very special event I believe chapters, participating members, and all attendees will truly appreciate.

Participating members? What gives? Is this a chapter thing or a chapter/ "big hat" thing? If it includes "big hats" then why leave out that information from the announcement? Is the whole thing about leaving the selection of the contribution up to the chapter the "wiggle room" to let the "big hats" in?

I don't mind the "big hats" having an opportunity to display and sell their work through the AAW.

Oh yea, and the "very nice exhibit catalog"!! We don't need a paper exhibit catalog. An online exhibit catalog should be more than enough.

Oh oh oh. There are publish on demand web sites where the "very nice exhibit catalog" could be offered for those who want a paper catalog. The cost is then at the discretion of the individual. www.blurb.com is one of several web sites offering publish on demand. Yes the per copy cost for the publish on demand solution is higher than the catalog publish solution. But the cost is only for putting the book together. The cost for the paper creation is left to those who want and buy the catalog. Also there is no limit on how many catalogs can be made or sold. The turn around time for print on demand is 7 to 10 days. The price of the catalog can be more than the cost and the "extra" can be a revenue for the AAW.

Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Gynia,

Your point about on-line publication is well taken and perhaps in the future, that will be the norm, but for right now, I think that a majority of our chapters would prefer to receive a hard copy of the catalog.

Regarding your comment about "big hats", I'm not sure how to respond. The selection of what piece and/or who makes it is totally up to each chapter to decide. Are chapter members who wear "big hats" supposed to be disqualified from participation? I suppose that that is possible, but where would we find a list of "big hat" turners?

R

Ron Sardo

What if a person doesn't belong to a chapter?

The closest one to me is a bit to far to drive.

Ron,

If you're not a local chapter member, you are missing out on a lot of stuff - including: live demos, a lending library of books and videos, giveaways, show-n-tells, local merchant discounts, local wood harvesting programs, supporting youth development, fellowship with other like minded turners, and a general good time.

Many people in your situation have gotten together with a couple of friends and started their own chapter. Check out this link if you'd like to look into how it’s done.

R

Ron Sardo

I tried getting one started 5~6 or so years ago.

Can I be a chapter of one person? :D

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
AAW has at least two "virtual" clubs

the Ornamental Turners
the Segmented Turners

I hear rumors of a Pen Turners chapter

these clubs communicate mostly electronically. The meetings they have are sort of like mini sympsoiums.

-Al

R

Ron Sardo

I already have space on two servers.

Did you receive the email I sent you?

Back