• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Does anyone recognize this lathe?

In my constant search for a lathe, I've come across a friend of the family who has gotten out of the woodworking business and wants to help me get started. He sent me a picture of the lathe he would like me to come see. He is VERY knowledgable, however he cannot figure out what brand it is, as most of his industrial equipment was bought directly from a plant overseas (Taiwan?) by him or his brother.

Does anyone recognize this lathe? From my research, it looks exactly like a Grizzly, but he insists it is not. The appearance is much like the Grizzly 1495, but instead of a 3/4HP motor, this one has a 2HP motor, and the RPM range is much wider than the stated range for the Grizzly. Any ideas? Just curious...

Thanks

Attachments

• L1210986.JPG
    L1210986.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 324
That is an older Grizzly. Sold for $695 to 795 now they 995. It is not all that bad it has a 1" 12 thread spindle, reeves type drive if you use it a lot it wares out a lot. No hand wheel does have out board turning, but do not recomend it. the tool suport is light weight. The picture shows the extra long tool rest. The owner must not have been to happy with the fact that it was a Grizzly he removed the Grizzly sicker.Needs to be weighted down. I would put it next to the old jet 1236
Good Luck

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Rather then being a Grizzly, it might be one of the many similar units sold by a number of different importers over the years.

Go to Grizzly webb sight and look at G1495 wood lathe the color may be a little different but that could be the picture

yep, that's where I saw the picture and said to myself, that's the one. But the specs don't add up, as far as the motor (that he says is original), and the RPM range.
Either way, I do believe I'm going to end up with this one, (too good of an offer to refuse) so hopefully it will get me started. Apparently it's in mint condition, according to my dad, who actually looked at it for me. Just needs dusted off.

As far as the spindles go, I can get a 1/8TPI adapter, correct? Any downside to using an adapter? What's the reason for NOT recommending outboard turning, just not steady enough?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan
If he insist that is not a Grizzly then what is it, and If the spec. do not match, Are you sure it is a 2 hp motor and the speed ranges would be diferent if the rpm of the motor is different that the original and looks by the pitcure that the swich has been changed out. but if you have made your mind up then I guess it does not matter. If it is not Grizzly the spindle might not be 1" 12 thread. Nova makes a bushing for their chucks to fit the 1" 12 but if the guy want tell you are he don't know who made it the only way to find out the thead size is with a thread gauge. Just make sure you know what you are buying no mater the price unless it is free.
Good luck

Dan
If he insist that is not a Grizzly then what is it, and If the spec. do not match, Are you sure it is a 2 hp motor and the speed ranges would be diferent if the rpm of the motor is different that the original and looks by the pitcure that the swich has been changed out. but if you have made your mind up then I guess it does not matter. If it is not Grizzly the spindle might not be 1" 12 thread. Nova makes a bushing for their chucks to fit the 1" 12 but if the guy want tell you are he don't know who made it the only way to find out the thead size is with a thread gauge. Just make sure you know what you are buying no mater the price unless it is free.
Good luck

What about a general?

Dan, simply because it does not say Grizzly on the machine doesn't mean it is not a similar product. Grizz, the last I knew, does not manufacture machinery. But they buy large quantities of it from various manufacturers. The maker of their lathe probably sells them to several re-sellers. Each of these re-sellers more than likely has the machines built to their individual specs.

What you are looking at was quite possibly made in the same factory as the Grizz, but to different specs. If it checks out ok and comes in under the budget, at least it'll get ya turnin'. I doubt it'll be the last lathe you're gonna buy. :)

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
As somebody else mentioned, it is probably the exact same lathe as the Grizzly. Manufactured at the exact same facility, only imported under another name. If I'm not mistaken, I believe an outfit called Central Machinery imported one like that about 20-25 years ago.......could be what you have.

ooc

Central Machinery is Harbor Freight

As somebody else mentioned, it is probably the exact same lathe as the Grizzly. Manufactured at the exact same facility, only imported under another name. If I'm not mistaken, I believe an outfit called Central Machinery imported one like that about 20-25 years ago.......could be what you have.

ooc

I know that Harbor freight [Central Machinery] is the same in some machines as the Trend Lines used to be before they went out of business. [I know, I have the same 14" bandsaw]

Odie might just be on to something with this ..... deserves to be checked out.

Well, you all make good points, that's for sure. I found some more pictures and it is definitely the same castings as the Griz, whether it is a Griz or not. So I'm guessing it's just another importer, possibly different specs. The RPM lever even shows different speeds than the Grizzly, so it's not just a different motor. Either way, yes the price is right, my only investment will be the time to go get it. It will get me turning.....while I continue to drool over the machines a lot of you have....

Dan

I would guess General it's the only lathe on this list close to 14 inch with a 2HP motor. http://www.woodturner.org/resources/LatheSpecs.pdf and 12" woul be a more realistic size of what you can turn on it.If you go to there web site it is obvious that Grizzly and General are using the same Mfg company.I have the Grizzly it's not a bad lathe but does have it's bad points.As far as outboard turning the griz has an oddball spindle that they don't even sell anything to fit but 1 adapter and face plate separate.And the outbard tooI rest setup is very weak.If you don't have a Disc sander that is nice to have out there but I always found myself worrying about hitting it with my elbow or arm while spinning.The banjo is too short to actually turn anything 14" and I broke 2 or 3 tool rest trying to work too far out from center for bigger pieces.Do yourself a favor and upgrade the tool rest before it snaps and it will.Get one of the 2 piece rests with the screw on post that is an odd size also but if you upgrade you can just buy new posts and use the same rests.I still have mine setup with a duplicator for spindle work which I feel it is more suitable for than bowl work.It's under a tablecloth behind my 3520B :D BTW definitly worth picking up!

Last edited:
Website
www.ralphandellen.us
....If you go to there web site it is obvious that Grizzly and General are using the same Mfg company....

Probably not

General (as opposed to General International) Lathes are made in Canada

The GI 25-600 and 25-650 are custom made for General.

I've actually looked into this type of issue before. Just because two products appear (in a catalog) to be identical, close up examination can show that one is made by a clearly inferior plant.

As an example, you can have a deal with a Chinese (main-land or not) plant to have something made to a very high standard. Exclusively for you, but that doe not stop someone in the plant (from the owner to a janitor) from taking spoiled examples of your product to their "cousin" that then makes copies of your product and sells them at a steep discount.

Some real examples include a Chinese "made" car that uses an engine copied from Mercedes and a body copied from GM. Or a firm that was making defibrillators, that the cloning company even copied the documents, down to the 1-800 customer service number.

I keep waiting to hear that someone is selling cheap clones of the Nova chucks, since Teknatool moved production to China.

TTFN
Ralph

Probably not

The GI 25-600 and 25-650 are custom made for General.

I've actually looked into this type of issue before. Just because two products appear (in a catalog) to be identical, close up examination can show that one is made by a clearly inferior plant.

As an example, you can have a deal with a Chinese (main-land or not) plant to have something made to a very high standard. Exclusively for you, but that doe not stop someone in the plant (from the owner to a janitor) from taking spoiled examples of your product to their "cousin" that then makes copies of your product and sells them at a steep discount.

Some real examples include a Chinese "made" car that uses an engine copied from Mercedes and a body copied from GM. Or a firm that was making defibrillators, that the cloning company even copied the documents, down to the 1-800 customer service number.

I keep waiting to hear that someone is selling cheap clones of the Nova chucks, since Teknatool moved production to China.

TTFN
Ralph

General (as opposed to General International) Lathes are made in Canada

which company tools do harbor freight sell General or General International ?

I don't believe that you will find General or General International lathes in HF. I purchased my General Intl. 25-600 through a Woodcraft store that distributed them. Its workmanship is first rate, fit, finish and performance is first rate.

Jerry

Ralph check this out. http://www.geetech.com.tw/sp.html Not trying to argue I own at least 1 piece of equipment from all the Brands listed accept Oliver an Sawstop.Yes they are made to different specs but if you take an Isuzu truck and put a Cat engine and Allison trans and slap a GMC plate on it does that make it an American made truck?

Last edited:
Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Ah Mark

That doesn't change what I posted. There are firms (like the one you posted) that custom builds items for tool vendors. You will note they list Saw-Stop as one of the firms they work with. Know of anyone selling Saw-Stop saws but Saw-Stop?

There are other firms that build mid/low end tools for vendors like Harbor Freight.

Website
www.woodturner-russ.com
Dan, your original message said everything you need to know. You said they bought this lathe from an overseas company and imported it themselves. There is no way that anyone can relate it to any distributior or manufacturer in the US or Canada. Just because it looks like the same machine does not insure that any of the dimensions, tolerances, fits, or quality are the same as anything they sell.

This machine is an orphan. It is a personal decision whether you want to risk a few dollars on an orphan tool, or spend the extra money on something that has an identity and a manufacturer who will offer parts and service. That isn't always all bad if the price is right.

Back