• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Physically protecting Observers - Need ideas

I have a Jet mini lathe which includes the standard leg stand. In order to protect the public while viewing any turning that may be done at local shows, I need to come up with some sort of plexiglass protection system. I would think that someone out there has a specific solution. I would appreciate if you could provide me with a good solution.

Thanks/Ron

Not sure exactly how robust you want it to be, but there are companies that make collapsible plexiglas shields, mainly for putting in front of a drum set on a music stage. They'd protect against small pieces, let people see you, and be relatively easy to transport. Not to mention they'd probably block enough sound that you could mumble a few choice words to yourself if you messed something up without being heard... :)

such as: http://www.plexiglasspulpits.us/plexiglassdrumshield.htm

For what they are, they're a tad expensive. I'm sure you could get the parts at a hardware store and build your own for about half the price. Just a thought.

Dan

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You can buy plexiglass at the local hardware. Just make a frame and stand to sit in front of the lathe. I suggest not turning things that can be dangerous. do smaller items that will not be dangerous if they come off the lathe. I've turned a lot of bowls for the public and when I do those I keep the speeds down and use smaller pieces. It's kind of frustrating not turning at your normal speeds but the public doesn't know and it's a lot safer for all involved.

My opinion would be that Plexiglas is way too brittle for impact protection, and High-impact Lexan 9034 polycarbonate is much better protection (and more costly ,but no way near as costly as a damaged observer).

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Lexan is certainly a better choice, it holds up better and would last longer, but...

Have you thought about hardware cloth, as in screen-door screen (metal)? That material is not hard to see through, but would not sun-craze or UV brittle like a plastic screen would

Ralph

Lexan is certainly a better choice, it holds up better and would last longer, but...

Have you thought about hardware cloth, as in screen-door screen (metal)? That material is not hard to see through, but would not sun-craze or UV brittle like a plastic screen would

I advocate hardware cloth - suitably prepared with flat black spray paint - every time this issue comes up. Static no problem, wind no problem outdoors, and with the lighting between the screen and the show, near invisiblity of the barrier.

We had used Plexiglass for our protective shields on our mini lathes for demonstrating until someone lost a piece and it went right through the Plexiglass just missing a child and sending two pieces of the Plexiglass backwards just missing two club members sitting on a bench. We now use Lexan and when I made my shield for my demonstrating I used Lexan as I know it will stop anything I'm turning from going through it. It is very expensive but not as expensive as injuring someone.
Bill

For hardware cloth, 1/4-inch mesh is about twice as strong as 1/2-inch (more wires per square foot).

Between that and Lexan, I'd consider expanded-metal lath for strength and cost. It isn't quite as "transparent," based on a test a few minutes ago. Available flattened and unflattened; flattened costs a little more, but it can be bent in either direction, unflattened only one way. Steel is about 1.5 x the stiffness of aluminum versions (all other things equal), and accepts black paint better.

good recommendation on the Lexan, if you decide to go the clear plastic route. You'd think I would have thought of that since I used to work for the company that made it! ugh, it's been too long I guess. Depending on your budget and how often you think you'll use it, keep in mind, the Lexan 9034 won't break, but it will scratch VERY easily, and turn hazy in sun exposure in a hurry. For double the cost of the plastic, you can get Lexan MR10 (or equivalent), which has a scratch resistant and UV protective coating. Food for thought.

Dan

"n7bsn" quote-Have you thought about hardware cloth, as in screen-door screen (metal)? That material is not hard to see through, but would not sun-craze or UV brittle like a plastic screen would

I advocate hardware cloth - suitably prepared with flat black spray paint - every time this issue comes up. Static no problem, wind no problem outdoors, and with the lighting between the screen and the show, near invisiblity of the barrier.

Ditto.

Lexan works well but is not bullet proof!

As mentioned above: DO NOT USE PLEXIGLASS!!!

I have built two shields out of 1/4" thick Lexan. The first one I built was attached to a wood floor stand and I donated to a club. The second one has a wooden frame that attaches to my Stubby.

Each has a 45 degree bend about 12" from the top to deflect anything that would fly toward the crowd. Lexan can be bent in a sheet metal break COLD. Do not heat it to bend it!

I was really curious if Lexan was actually bullet proof (in case I did a really bad demo :)) so I shot a .22 caliber un-jacketed bullet from my rifle at it! The bullet fragmented, but it made it through. I guess I'll have to make sure not to make any snide remarks to the attendees while I am demonstrating.

Don Geiger

As mentioned above: DO NOT USE PLEXIGLASS!!!

I have built two shields out of 1/4" thick Lexan. The first one I built was attached to a wood floor stand and I donated to a club. The second one has a wooden frame that attaches to my Stubby.

Each has a 45 degree bend about 12" from the top to deflect anything that would fly toward the crowd. Lexan can be bent in a sheet metal break COLD. Do not heat it to bend it!

I was really curious if Lexan was actually bullet proof (in case I did a really bad demo :)) so I shot a .22 caliber un-jacketed bullet from my rifle at it! The bullet fragmented, but it made it through. I guess I'll have to make sure not to make any snide remarks to the attendees while I am demonstrating.

Don Geiger

feathers are bullet-proof IF they are thick enough[NO PUN INTENDED]

Lexan is bullet proof (I should say resistant) just like steel, but just like steel it has to be thick enough....

One thing to be aware of with Lexan is that any exposure to a petroleum based product will instantly ruin it. I suspect some of the wood finishes we use may cause the product to craze.

TL

Lexan is bullet proof (I should say resistant) just like steel, but just like steel it has to be thick enough....

One thing to be aware of with Lexan is that any exposure to a petroleum based product will instantly ruin it. I suspect some of the wood finishes we use may cause the product to craze.

TL

so do you suggest removing the Lexan before we apply the finishes to the wood

Ron,

Check with Tom Boley and Don Maloney. The both have nice set ups with a protective shield.

Dale

so do you suggest removing the Lexan before we apply the finishes to the wood

Ray: I think it would be a good idea, or at least slow the item down to the point that you know it is not going to throw some off. (One drop will do it - if you have scrap lexan you might test your preferred finish on a piece -almost instant crazing.)

I would sure think that by the time you are applying finish to the project the shield really doesn't need to me there anyway.

TL

Ray: I think it would be a good idea, or at least slow the item down to the point that you know it is not going to throw some off. (One drop will do it - if you have scrap lexan you might test your preferred finish on a piece -almost instant crazing.)

I would sure think that by the time you are applying finish to the project the shield really doesn't need to me there anyway.

TL

if we could apply the finish in a even coat to the lexan will we get a frosted look, I will give this a try soon

Ron,

Check with Tom Boley and Don Maloney. The both have nice set ups with a protective shield.

Dale

Dale,

I actually used Tom's setup at Arbor day on Saturday and also had the opportunity to see George Carrigan's setup on his Jet, which is exactly like mine. I now have a plan, thanks! :)

Also, thanks to everyone who have provided me their inputs.

Ron

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

TL

If I am not mistaken, face shields are polycarbonate so you could use that to gauge the effects of finishes and organic compounds.

Dale,

I actually used Tom's setup at Arbor day on Saturday and also had the opportunity to see George Carrigan's setup on his Jet, which is exactly like mine. I now have a plan, thanks! :)

Also, thanks to everyone who have provided me their inputs.

Ron
Right about now is the time when I find myself wishing this forum had one of those smiley icons reading "This thread is worthless without pictures". ;)

Back