• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Banksia Pod Turning

Does anyone know where I can find information on turning Banksia pods? I tried to turn some last year but it was not a pleasant experience. I seem to have lots of tearout and fighting the stringy insides (I wish I could describe it better).

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

John.. I do not understand "stringy"...I have turned some and hollowed as well. It has been my experience that they turn very nice once you get by the outer crust and "velvet". Just like any other wood...use sharp tools. Turns and sands like normal. I get some very nice effects, depending on the orientation of the pod and if any, what I fill the seed holes with. Play with it, and you will be pleasantly rewarded with some really nice results!!:D:D

Thanks for the responses.

Steve, Cindy's articles were exactly what I was looking for.

Mr. Don, "Velvet" was what I was talking about. I just didn't know what to call it.

Allen,

It was your piece that got me interested in trying Banksia again.

Cheers.

John

Back