• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What do you use to cut pen blanks & tubes?

Hi,
A new turner here. For my first pens I bought a "starter" kit with pre-drilled & pre-cut blanks & tubes.
What do I need to cut my own blanks & tubes?
I have a table-saw, & chop saw. But those blanks & tubes are awfully small to be cutting.
ernie

Pen kits tubes come pre cut

Tubes come pre-cut. I made a jig for cutting blanks to length on my chop saw. It has toggle clamps to hold both sides of the cut. Let the blade stop before raising it up. This reduces strain on the clamps and movement errors. It is out of 3/4" plywood and is held together on the front edge where it is not cut. The backstop is pre cut and is low enough to miss the blade and saw motor. :)

Do you have a mitre box?..that works well and won't eat your fingers..heck you can use a handsaw. Clamp the wood to your bench & cut it off with your handsaw. You are going to have to sand the ends square (or use something to square the ends anyway), so how it's cut is not real important

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I use a sled on a bandsaw.
a similar plywood sled on the table saw would work well too

this is made from a square of good plywood.

I screw and glue a strip of wood on for the miter track

another strip of wood is glued on for the fence.
on such a short run I don't worry about a blade track adjustment.

and since i"ll use a barrel trimmer super accuracy is not needed.
I have marked distance for several pen kits on the sled.

in the rare case where I have cut the brass, I do it on the bandsaw.
I have areas on the sled to stack uncut and cut parts

happy turning,
Al

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks all.
I guess I'm off to buy/make a jig for my mitre saw.
ernie

Back