• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Walker Turner Lathe - Need input!!

Hello All,
Well, many of you were nice enough to help me decide that it might be worth looking into an older used lathe to get started on this new hobby of mine. As promised, I have a question about a specific lathe and was hoping someone might have some input.

I found a lathe on Craigslist that is a Walker Turner. Pic Attached, hopefully) Unfortunately the owner does not know a whole lot about it it (I think it was his dad's). It has a 1/2 HP motor. He does not know if it is variable speed but sent me the photo of the internal gearing, attachment below. Is this a reeves type system?

Does anyone know anything about this lathe???

Thanks,
Dan

Attachments

• Walker Turner Gearing.bmp
    90.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Walker Turner Lathe.jpg
    Walker Turner Lathe.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 140
Try Old WW machines

Go to www.owwm.com, they have lots of info on WT lathes. Your gearing picture is much too small for us to determine a Reeves drive. A Reeves drive has a variable diameter pulley that is adjusted with a lever on the front.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Looks very similar to the J-line lathe that I had. It probably has step pulleys and not variable speed. It's a pretty decent lathe.

I sold a WT lathe similar to this a few months ago. Mine had a cast iron base with an enclosed motor. The motor had a 5 step pulley if I remember rightly and the speed was increased/decreased by turning the handwheel that is visible in the pix. I cannot see if the depicted motor has a step pulley but the headstock should have a step pulley enclosed.

I found it to be a pretty reliable lathe even tho it/these were built in the 1950's.

Walker-Turner lathe

Dan, I looked thru my pix files and came up with these pix.
They may help you.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    279.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    237.7 KB · Views: 91
jack shaft reeves

Looks from the collection of pictures that this is a reeves on the jack shaft along with step pulleys. An interesting drive train. The speed range is suitable for modern woodturning. The power we use now days tends to be higher but I don't know if the belt arrangement would permit the transfer of power beyond 3/4 hp (that sort of belt would slip when more power than 3/4 hp. As long as you are not aggressive or coring bowls 3/4 hp should be very usable. Except for small turnings the 1/2 hp motor would easily be overpowered, such as when roughing out a bowl.

This could be a nice lathe to use or it could require a good deal of maintenance where you spend an hour each week keeping the lathe working smoothly. Lots of lubricating and adjusting is often part of the process with old lathes.

Thanks everyone for the input. I got a little more information from the owner since my last post. Tom, it is "almost" the exact same lathe you have there. It did once have the cast iron stand, but it's long gone. the other big difference is that there is no RPM needle gauge like yours. I asked him to describe the belt and pulley system and everything seems as you've all said: "adjustable" or reeves drive in the lower pulleys. However, he says the motor and the spindle shaft have only one single pulley, no steps. This seems weird to me. Everything I've seen online shows stepped pulleys at the spindle shaft. I'm wondering if this actually has various speeds or if it's been tampered with and is missing parts???

thanks again,

ps - Just ran across another lathe very close to here. A Delta 46-450. It was bought at a school auction and is in great condition. The guy who bought it has no use for it, but new it was a good deal (for him anyway...I'm not sure what they're worth) Any thoughts on this lathe, assuming it's in good condition, with a well-performing 1 HP motor? Could I use this for quite some time for spindles as well as small and medium bowls/vessels?

Thank you!!

Dan

Dan, I have never handled a 46-450, but I did look them up. It seems to me that one in decent shape might quite satisfactory if the price is reasonable. I don't know what it might be worth either....not very helpful.

More to the point though, it could be that a lot of folks figure from the thread title that this is still a thread about the Walker Turner. I know I did, and happened upon the Delta 46-450 issue quite by chance.
If it was me I would consider starting a new thread for each lathe model you are seeking information about. That way folks can see what's going on a little more readily right from thread headings.
I would be astonished if someone on this board has not used a 46-450 at some time in their life. Possible I suppose, but unlikely I would think.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
What are the prices of the two lathes you are asking about?

How much are you willing to pay for a lathe?

A couple years ago, I saw an Australian Woodfast lathe w/all steel stand identical to mine (on ebay) for around $750 plus shipping from somewhere on the east coast. This one had the 1hp, variable speed, plus 5-step pulley drive in it. I almost bid on it, just for the spare parts......maybe I should have!

I thought that would be an outstanding deal for someone just starting out......:cool2:

Good deals on great lathes are out there.....if you are patient!

ooc

Attachments

• 286151771.jpg
    286151771.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
delta 46/450

It is a great lathe for a 12 inch lathe. There isn't a lathe in the thousand dollar range that will compare with it. Depending on the condition of it, they sell for 600 to 1300 dollars. Personally I wouldn't spend more than 800 on it.

One thing that you might want to know about the lathe is that there is headstock movement caused by a spring/washer. If you remove it and re assemble it, it works great for bowls and vessels. When you are cutting away from the headstock it will give you chatter, caused by the spring washer.

Dave - That's a good point, I'll probably start a new thread. I'll be headed down to take at it soon and would like every bit of insight possible. Thanks.

Odie - The Walker Turner is up for $350 (including about ten chisels and several chucks and faceplates). It is not on the original iron stand, it now sits on a homemade wood stand. The Delta is up for $550, including 6 tools. It is said to be original, the pictures show that it was seemingly used lightly, no rust, no obvious damage, pretty clean. It also has a new live tail center, and a rolling base.

I was hoping to stay under $500, so both are feasibly in my range. I'm just struggling with what to look for in that range that will last me the longest and keep me satisfied the longest, turning small items, and up to medium sized bowls & vessels.

Kevin - Thank you very much for the advice. I haven't been able to find too much negative about it online so far, but there are less reviews than I thought there would be out there, so thank you. And thanks for the tip on that washer. If I end up with the lathe, I may be back to ask more specifics about that.

Dan

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Dan......

Your reasoning sounds good, and either of those lathes will probably get you by for now. Most potential turners are looking for a lathe that is substantial, and to fit budget requirements. They are looking for a lathe that will give them a good idea whether wood turning is something they will want to pursue at a more serious level......or not.

The one bit of advice you should consider is to avoid buying a lot of accessories for a lathe that you might not keep for very long......make sense?

Most of us, who have determined that wood turning is definitely something that is, or will become a focal point in their life's pursuits.......would practically mortgage the farm to get a decent lathe!!!!! :eek:

Once you get to that point, if the lathe you want is within the realm of possibility, it's not about the money......it's about the fulfillment of life's goals!

ooc

PS: I first turned on a Shopsmith that I purchased at a garage sale for $200 around 1982. It took a year or two for me to get "hooked". At that point, upgrading my lathe and accessories was more of an obsession, or addiction, than anything that can be considered reasonable minded! Ha,ha!

Last edited:
Back