• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Drill chuck ?

Does anyone on the Forum know of a commercially available three jaw drill chuck that can be operated as a live center in the tailstock?

Jake,
Pennstate Industries did have them in their catalog. I am not sure they are really meant to be used as a revolving center but they were on a #1 or #2 MT and bearing mounted for free spinning. I do not own one and have never used one but can see how they could be useful.
Rick Taylor

I have never seen one that was intended to be used as a live center. I'm sure one could be jury-rigged using a multi-tip live center to mount the chuck on, but I would be interested if anyone knows of one available commercially.

Frank,
The one from Pennstate was made like a live center with a drill chuck mounted on it. It would spin freely from the MT. I think it was intended to use a drill bit as a live center point after being drilled thus insuring everything running on center. It did not appear to be a double bearing or substantially built and I would be concerned about full time use as a live center.
Rick Taylor

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I've never seen one. My Nova live center has a very short #2 morse taper for all the various bits. You could feasibly cut a #2morse taper down to fit. You can buy #2 morse taper to Jacobs taper adaptors and then fit a jacobs chuck or your choice on that.
Tell us why you want to do that and maybe we can come up with a better solution.

Frank,
The one from Pennstate was made like a live center with a drill chuck mounted on it. It would spin freely from the MT. I think it was intended to use a drill bit as a live center point after being drilled thus insuring everything running on center. It did not appear to be a double bearing or substantially built and I would be concerned about full time use as a live center.
Rick Taylor

This little sucker: I hadn't noticed this one before; just looked at the "regular" ones. Thanks for pointing that out, Rick. Learn something every day . . .

Attachments

• LDC2MT.jpg
    LDC2MT.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 45
I've never seen one. My Nova live center has a very short #2 morse taper for all the various bits. You could feasibly cut a #2morse taper down to fit. You can buy #2 morse taper to Jacobs taper adaptors and then fit a jacobs chuck or your choice on that.
Tell us why you want to do that and maybe we can come up with a better solution.

John, its not for me . Another turner asked me if they exist, I'm not exactly sure how it will be used. He is a relatively new turner but has picked up the skills very quickly and is quite creative. I have already sent him the info Rick has sent. We'll see whether it works for him. At $34 he won't be out much if it doesn't fit his needs.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I've also seen them available at MSC. I also found them from firms that supply to hobby machinists (which is where I got mine, before Penn State started carrying them)

Note, not all are setup to use as a draw bar, when I got mine I had to drill and tap the MT "tip"

Ralph

Thanks everyone as usual reading the responses is a very informative learning experience. :)

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Interesting......I had not been aware of a free-spinning bearing mounted chuck that could be used as a live center before.

Personally, I can't think of a need I might have for such a thing.......but, if I let my imagination guide my thoughts, I do see how some turners would. It would allow a turner to create any home-made point they might desire to chuck-up into it! :D

......I'll tuck this bit of information away in the back of my mind........just in case!

ooc

Back