• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Owners poll-Nova 16/24-44

Could the owners of the Nova 16/24-44 lathe please put up a review of their lathe here. Thank you.

Nova1624

I have had mine about 4 months and only turned 15 small bowls and 2 wet bowls. The wet bowl, 16 inch diameter, turned well after being balanced. I started out too far out of balance, my fault definitely, I was almost walked out the door. This lathe can definitely use at least 2 hundred to 4 hundred pounds of weight. The cast iron legs listed as an add on would help but for the money (about $360 I believe) a good but perhaps not equal solution would be concrete or cast iron scrap of some sort.

I have also noticed a huuum at low speed , it sounds like the motor but goes away the higher the rpm. The motor is turning the same rpm regardless of spindle speed. Changing the belt is inconvenient as you have to walk around to the backside , at least I do. Yes, I knew that when I bought it. Being a woodturner you have to have something to complain about.

Power seems to be OK. I plan on getting 2 extensions eventually and have some doubts about power then.

Hope to have some more info this month. My lathe is in an unheated shop , crowded, not ideal for turning but things will be considerably better this summer.

This was the first newer lathe that i owned. it is a great lathe, i had the outboard assembly with mine, and i really liked its large capacity with small footprint. all in all i feel it was a great lathe especially for the money. i didnt have the cast legs, or ballast, and i really didnt have that big of a problem as long as i did my part balancing the blank first.

all that being said, it isnt variable speed, you can change the belts, and it isnt that hard, but it isnt variable speed. from that lathe i upgraded to a jet 1642, and after having evs, i will never go without it again. i know youve been looking at the G0698, and between nova and grizzly, i think i would go grizzly. just my 2 cents. EVS is worth that much. plus you figure if you throw in the bed extension, outboard assembly, you'll be over 1300 bucks anyways. good luck in your decision. Chris

I've got the ancestor - a 3000. A home made sheetgood stand with a broad enough footprint will control anything I want without sandbags, and I seldom change speeds. Once up to 680 after the piece is round, or as close as the design will permit, and back for the next lump I need to round. Belt works from the front easily with the lathe centerline at my elbow.

If you get noise from the motor at lower speeds, Wayne, might it be the weight and imbalance which governs your selection rather than the selection itself? A capacitor-start motor can hum under load when the capacitor does not kick out. Of course, that's a defect, and should be remedied. The 16-24 I messed with was not a capacitor-run motor where it would always be in circuit.

Don't think you can do better for the money, and FWW agreed when the 16-24 was new. It's a great lathe even when you don't have to worry about the money. As to variable speed, I've never missed it, and I even turn the icicles for ornaments at 680. You will have to pay a bit more attention to the edge and presentation if you can't let inertia rip wood off, but you get a better surface with lots less danger as a reward.

Excellent lathe. I have a small shop, so I needed the swivel headstock as I didn't have room to work beyond the tailstock end of the lathe.

Search on my user name and you will find my articles on converting the 1624 to variable speed.

Nova 1624

I agree with MM, pick a speed as low as your work size permits and stick with it. I have been doing that with my Jetmini for 2 to 6 inch spindles up to 8 inch bowls with good success. Lowest speed does have to be adherred to for rough turning large pieces.

I met a turner-teacher at the wood store a few weeks ago and we were discussing the same topic. He said beginning students wanted to fiddle with the variable rpm more than turn, it quickly become a distraction.

True, i may be a sort of beginner, but with evs, all you have to do is slowly turn up the rpms until it wobbles a little, then back it down till it stoppes wobbling, there you have it, the perfect speed.
then you take a couple cuts to round it, and ramp up the speed some more. it is sooooooo easy. if i were to get another nova, i would do the variable speed mod.

True, I may be a sort of beginner, but with EVS, all you have to do is slowly turn up the RPM's until it wobbles a little, then back it down till it stops wobbling, there you have it, the perfect speed.
then you take a couple cuts to round it, and ramp up the speed some more. it is sooooooo easy. If I were to get another Nova, I would do the variable speed mod.

Chuckle Hey Chris I sure hope you don't have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook . You got another $1000 laying around somewhere for me I'll purchase the DVR gladly.

I instruct quite a few turning seminars. One of the facilities I teach at has a 3000 and the old style square shaped bed flexes enough to mess with headstock/tailstock alignment on an uneven surface. I own a dvr xp here at home, the trapezoidal bed cross section is ridgid enough that the unit will stand on three legs. Anything I throw at it, including on the outrigger it handles just fine. The speed range on the 16-24 gives you low enough speeds you can work some fairly out of balance items. Yes, changing speeds is not as smooth as evs.

Bart,

Check this out. It was nowhere near $1k for the EVS conversion. Chris didn't mention DVR.

Your right Gorden but the with a few more tweeks my old Delta double duty lathe from the 1930's will have variable speed ala treadmill motor & controller.

I have the motor mounted to a board clamped into a cross feed vise to tighten the belt & move it sideways so I can change pulley's on the lathe. I need to lengthen the wires to the board & mount the control & I should be ready to go.

But that still doesn't provide the turn-able head to fit my small shop & sore back. So the change over on the Nova 16/24-44 from strictly belt drive to EVS will cost how much... $400-$600. When if I wanted to wait for another $400-$600 above that I could have a DVR.

I instruct quite a few turning seminars. One of the facilities I teach at has a 3000 and the old style square shaped bed flexes enough to mess with headstock/tailstock alignment on an uneven surface. I own a dvr xp here at home, the trapezoidal bed cross section is ridgid enough that the unit will stand on three legs. Anything I throw at it, including on the outrigger it handles just fine. The speed range on the 16-24 gives you low enough speeds you can work some fairly out of balance items. Yes, changing speeds is not as smooth as evs.

You might want to tell those in charge to read their manual on how to attach and align that bed on a solid top. As it was never intended to be freestanding, it wasn't engineered for it. Also might want to read and follow the directions for tailstock alignment if it has the original tailstock. I think the reason they reverted to the current classic design is that people wouldn't read the directions and align things on the old one. Every adjustment is an opportunity to screw things up, that's for sure.

So the change over on the Nova 16/24-44 from strictly belt drive to EVS will cost how much... $400-$600. When if I wanted to wait for another $400-$600 above that I could have a DVR.

I have the DVR, pre-XP model. For me, I don't really see the great advantage of a DVR over the EVS modified 1624. The 1624 has the same lathe bed, tail stock and tool rest as the DVR-XP. Unless I missed something, the difference is the direct drive headstock. Make no mistake, I like my DVR head stock. It has instant feedback, very precise 5 rpm speed increment control and is very forgiving. It has a lot of safety features that are unique. Depending on turning mode set up, the lathe would stop if jammed. (Great for learning bowl coring) Nothing bad would happen if I forget to unlock the spindle before turning the lathe on. Nova web site also says the DVR is greener for the environment. Only you can justify whether the $400 to $600 is a good value for you.

My DVR doesn't have 5 speed presets. I would rather trade it for the convenience of turning a knob to change speed. When the lathe is on, it takes 45 seconds to ramp the speed from 100 to 3500 rpm. When the lathe is not running, it still takes 23 seconds to adjust the speed from 3500 to 100 rpm. I would have to keep my finger on the touch pad the whole time during speed change.

I don't think the treadmill motor conversion can deliver the same kind of power for 16" inboard or 29" outboard.

Tim Geist, the Nova service rep in the States, takes good care of customers.

I don't think the treadmill motor conversion can deliver the same kind of power for 16" inboard or 29" outboard.

Tim Geist, the Nova service rep in the States, takes good care of customers.

Gordon

Your probably right this is just a interim thing & I won't be turning that large of an item but at least I don't have to start out at 740 RPM anymore either.

Do you have a number or email for
Tim Geist?

From Teknatool web site home page:

US SERVICE CENTRE

For all North American Nova users and owners, Teknatool has a service centre and small warehouse based in West Virginia. Ideal for all spares, hard to find parts.

Phone Tim Geist on (304) 295-8166
or email to
Tvgeistmfg@aol.com

Hours of Operation:

6:00am - 2:30pm Eastern Standard Time

For Parts and Refurbished Items

Website
www.cbjeff.com
Nova 1624 Lathe

I have had my 1624 for a little over a year now and love it. I turn eveything from pens to bowls and specialty items. It is very easy and quick to change the speeds on it but for most all of my turning I am at 1800 RPM unless it is in the early stages of turning a peice of log into a bowl. I usually start off at the lowest speed.
There is a fellow who poted a very good article on converting the 1624 to variable speed . It is so well written that you coudl easily do it. You can find the article on Sawmillcreek.org.

Jeff

That's the only thing that lets the nova lathes down (lack of mass)
I have a dvrxp which is pretty much same as yours other than the headstock, I managed to get hold of some 2 1/4 inch bar so made a reinforced box that hangs from these bars which in turn hang from my dvrxp, I have around 600lbs of sand and pea gravel in the box, so my dvrxp now weighs more than a powermatic 3520 and yes it makes a LOT of difference, it's the best idea I ever had when it comes to my lathe, plus if I get another lathe at any time (which I don't intend doing for quite some time!) I can hang my ballest box off that

Get some weight on that sucker, you'll never look back (until you have to take it off (ouch!!!))

Yep the dvr took a while to go up and down the speed range but the xp is faster, I have also spaced my memory channels over the speed range which makes it even quicker,
For the price the 2416 is hard to beat, get yourself a nova live centre to go with it, it's a cracking live centre and so adaptable, mine is as smooth now as the day I got it (5 years ago)

My Nova 3000 is 12 years old and it has a million miles on it. The newer models are much stiffer and better built. Changing belts is not a big deal, and when I turn on a variable speed lathe, I usually just set the knob to one speed. Personally, variable speed is nice, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.

The DVR is a good lathe, but I hate the buttons.

Steve

Steve, I used to say that abt variable speed but now if I lost it it would be like loosing my right arm (lucky I'am left handed!)
Also, I went from a lathe with a variable speed dial/knob and then got the dvrxp and for the first week things were a little weird but I soon got used to it and now it's just second nature, some like it some not, horses for courses right? ;-)

I've had mine for about 3 months. I really like it. I also have a delta midi lathe with vs. I was worried about changing the belt after using the variable speed. But, you can probably change it in under a minute. It really isn't a big deal, plus it has more hp than the delta. I only thing I wish is that it was heavier. But after you get the wood balanced, it does fine. Just start low until you get it balanced then increase speed. I'm satisified.

Nova 1624

I bought a new Nova 1624 in January 2013. Overall I'm very pleased with it. I did have a problem with the hand wheel on the tailstock. I was using a Jacobs chuck to do some serious drilling. The groove on the handwheel began to wear, where it is held in place by a steel plate. Nova tech help was great, got a new handwheel in the mail in less than a week and it is now working fine. I find that I seldom need to change speeds, and when I do it takes about 20 seconds. Not a big deal. I have not had problems with balance of larger pieces. My biggest lament is that I just got a flier from Rockler announcing that the 1624 is on sale for $500 off the price I paid!! That is a great deal.

I have had mine for over 3 years and it's a great lathe. The current sale make this a great buy.

PRO: 16" swing
tiltable headstock
nice amount of power
small foot print
decent speed ranges
CON: physically light weight (about 370lbs I think)
short stock bed lenth (but can be added to)
belt changes for the speed changes
no remote control box.
if you tilt the headstock out you can't count on the stop to register it true, you'll have to align it manually with the tailstock before clamping down

The weight can be cured with a ballast box, the belt changes take me about 8-10 seconds now (but a knob would be easier), a remote control box could be rigged up.

Overall I have NO regrets and would buy this lathe again in a heartbeat.

I have turned a 15 1/2" diameter bowl to a toothpick finial on mine. GET ONE!!

went from jet to the 1624 lathe a few years back , big change .
liked it so much that i up graded to a dvr, now i have 2 novas and love them both . the dvr is my main lathe now as i do all my turning on it . the 1624 is set up for the ornamental turner only ,one speed and a fun tool to use . just talked a friend in to geting the 20/24 lathe and he loves it .

I have the DVR 2024 and absolutely LOVE it! It comes standard with the heavy iron stand and, I gotta' say that it's very very stable and vibration free. I've even turned whole logs to vessels without difficulty or vibration. Oh, and my lathe sits on the concrete floor of my shop, is not bolted, and I have no extra ballast on the base. My biggest problem that I've had to adjust to, is that it's got so much torque, that it can twist the tenon off of the bottom of some woods if I get a bit too aggressive with the hollowing gouge.

Just purchased one, because my Delta 46-460 was woefully inadequate for large bowls at the low speeds necessary for roughing, and I didn't feel like giving up mobility to put in on a bench that wouldn't sway. Only played with some spindle work and started a bowl today. Think it will be just fine.

Observations: My fingers can't seem to find the 20 second belt change. What the heck do I do with a knockout bar that doesn't have a stopper on it, or a place to put it (the pivot lock doesn't count, it nearly dropped on my toe). On my Delta, it was right there, so I didn't have to hunt it down. Until I make something for the 1624, I'll be leaving it in a hundred different places. And three, a mod is coming to that belt cover, I can feel it right now. Obviously a safety requirement that fits along with toilet lids that won't stay up:rolleyes:.

And yes VS is nice, but the sale price was better, and this is for larger stuff that won't fit on my Delta.

You can see my solution on the headstock. Speaker magnet holds the knockout, wrench, whatever I need. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/P3140057.jpg

You HAVE variable speed. The wood is moving faster past the gouge at the rim of a bowl than the center, right? What you lack is infinitely variable rpm to fiddle with. No great loss. Vary your feed rate to compensate.

MM, Thanks for the tip

You can see my solution on the headstock. Speaker magnet holds the knockout, wrench, whatever I need. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d160/GoodOnesGone/P3140057.jpg

You HAVE variable speed. The wood is moving faster past the gouge at the rim of a bowl than the center, right? What you lack is infinitely variable rpm to fiddle with. No great loss. Vary your feed rate to compensate.

Michael, thanks for the tip. I've got some old blown speakers that should be perfect. No worries on the lack of "EVS", but the low speed belt change has been a bit of a challenge with a rib hanging on me on the second or third step :cool:. No problem on the higher ranges, because large pulley diameters are visible, and the small headstock pulley step has plenty of clearance. Just a matter of practice, I suspect.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I had a Nova Comet mini lathe and then a Nova 3000. Almost everything I didn't like about my 3000 they improved on the 16/24. I think it's a great lathe. There are better lathes of course but they cost significantly more.
I am a big fan of Rare earth magnets for holding things on the lathe. You can buy them dirt cheap on the internet. The big quarter size ones will actually hold a jacobs chuck. I usually have several around the lathe to hold chuck keys, wrenches, knock out bar etc.

Michael, thanks for the tip. I've got some old blown speakers that should be perfect. No worries on the lack of "EVS", but the low speed belt change has been a bit of a challenge with a rib hanging on me on the second or third step :cool:. No problem on the higher ranges, because large pulley diameters are visible, and the small headstock pulley step has plenty of clearance. Just a matter of practice, I suspect.

Not sure how they re-did the pulleys for the 1624, but on the old 3000 you want the final rib one step in from the rise to the next size pulley. Keeps the belt flat instead of rising and chafing on the step area. If clearance is a problem , you might be able to cheat out an extra 1/8-1/4 from the offending end. I slid the spindle sheave left and adjusted the motor sheave to where they barely cleared the sheet metal. Gave me just enough extra to see/work around the lip on the casting.

I use only two selections for 99% of the work I do, 360 and 680. Lowest is so seldom it's been months since I used it. I have a bandsaw, so only time I really need low low is when I have one I'm deliberately making unbalanced.

Back