• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What title do you like?

Website
www.johnbeaver.net
What title do you use?

I'm making new business cards and mailers for a show. I'm looking for suggestions on what to call myself and my work.

I primarily make laminated and segmented bowls, but I also do some hollow forms and carved vessels.

What titles do you like and why?

Some suggestions.

Wood Turner
Wood Artist
Artistry in Wood
Turned Wood Art
Wood Bowls
Wood Vessels.
Constructed wood art

Last edited:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just call myself Jack of all trades because I'm not a master of any. :) I do a little of everything from segmented work to carved work. Some flat work, conceptual work, architectural turnings, repair work and basically whatever I get excited about this month. I think I'll just call myself a "doer" because I'll do just about anything.

Have you exhausted, and/or rejected, a play on words involving your surname?

Would something like "Natural Woodworker" be too cute for your market?

Your previous major customers and clients might be a better source of suggestions.

If you're doing "art" places you probably want to go with something like wood artist, becuse those who give art shows or maintain art galleries aren't interested in my favorite - craftsman.

I consider it a higher calling, because you have to make something that can be handled or used, not just admired from a distance.

Why not really go radical.....with a play on your name.

"Beaver at Work":cool2:

Most people would pick up on that quick!

Dear John; My cards say Artisry In Wood. I choose a card from the Office Depot file. It is a brown and green card on good stock that has branches and grass on the left side and the written info on the right. Under Artistry In Wood is my name with Woodturner under it. pmk

Cards

My thoughts....go with what you want, but a word of caution...print just a minimum number of cards til you settle on something that works for you. I use a business card program and can set up my own designs as I see fit, and print just what I need....maybe not the cheapest way to go, but I can tailor them to up-coming shows and seasons, printing only what I will need. You might look into "Business Card Factory Deluxe", I think I got my 2 disc set at Office Depot, and absolutely love it. Keep us in the know.:cool2::cool2:

Further to Mr. Don's idea (printing only as needed), print cards for each venue. As done on the old "Rockford Files" TV show, with movable rubber type, but using more modern methods.

FWIW:

I vote for "Wood Turner", because it covers everything you do with wood and a lathe. Let your work speak for itself - artist, craftsman or other.

I agree with MM's assessment of "craftsman"', but I think it's too general for your purposes. While all wood turners could be called "craftsman", not all craftsman are wood turners.

Personally I don't like any "artist" derivative titles. But that's just me.

Good luck with whatever you pick.

Frank

Last edited:
my card says
DUCK DITCH TURNER
the town that i live in is called Goose Creek
bottom of card says ( JUST MAKING TOOTH PICKS)
my work is singed the same way
DUCK DITCH TURNER

Website
www.johnbeaver.net
Thanks everyone for all the input.

While I appreciate those who shy away from titles (I've always downplayed pretentious titles in my profession) I do find it necessary to put a description on marketing mailers and such.

At this point, I've received the most positive responses from "Artistry in Wood" - Thank you Paul K.

I think it sums up my work and what I'm trying to accomplish, and keeps me covered for possible work beyond turning.

Back