• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Couple of firsts... at least for me.. LOL

I have had a dozen bottle stopper kits laying around since February
along with the same amount of stabilized blanks from BillB that I got
on one of his sales... today I decided to play with one..
The wood is stabilized Buckeye Burl.. first time I ever turned any and
is it pretty... goes real nice with the chrome bottle stopper...
I decided before starting on the stopper that I wanted a cabochon on
the top and since I did not have any, I made one from a cut off of
some trustone I had... I was real impressed with how it contrasts to
the grey of the buckeye burl... I decided that a nice simple shape
would go best with this first stopper...
I leave the real critiques to you... take a look

Attachments

• BuckeyeBurlStopper.jpg
    BuckeyeBurlStopper.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 222
Nice, Nice

That is really nice. I love the blue with the gray. What exactly is 'trustone'? Also, do you use one of those bottle stopper mandrels, or the little bottle stopper chuck (Packard/Penn State), or just a jacob's? I am ready to delve into the bottle stopper arena (you may recall a thread I started 'craft fair newbie' a couple of weeks ago) and I want to start out 'proper'. (nice photography too)

Your first?

Boy I think I will burn my first four trys at Bottle Stoppers. Your Stoppers are very very nice, thank you for posting them, now back to work, try to upgrade my stoppers.

Ray Eberosle

I use the bottle stopper mandrel that I bought from Arizona Silhouette mounted in my Axminster chuck.... real nice combo that is dead on.. and I think more accurate than using a jacobs chuck (just my opinion)
This is the first bottle stopper I have made... hopefully the next 11 will look as good :rolleyes:
Trustone is a pen making material.. it is an acrylic that looks like stone and turns and polishes well... I get mine from CSU
Thanks all for the kind words.

Website
www.picturetrail.com
Tom;
I'll bet you can't stop with one. Those little guys are addictive.
Somebody gave me a small crotch of staghorn sumac just the size of my fist. With some carefull bandsawing to make the best use of it here is what I got out of it.
W.Y.

69793761.jpg

Back