• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cleaning a lathe bed

I bought a used lathe that was kept in an outside shop. The rails for the tailstock are rusted a bit. The tailstock moves without effort but I ws wondering.....should I just lube it? I'm sceptical about doing any kind of rust removal as it might mess up the tolerances. Any advice is appreciated. Before I forget, the Mrs. won't be open to buying a new lathe.:eek:

How you clean it up depends on how much rust there is. I would start with some WD40 and a scotchbright pad. That shouldn't remove enough to reduce tolerances but will give you a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Rust removal

Thanks for the reply. The rust isn't real bad, not the rusty red we normally see but a dark brown. Will give the WD-40 and Scotchbrite a try.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Try multiple coats of Naval Jelly. It will remove the soft rust without abrading the metal so you shouldn't change any tolerances. I sometimes use steel wool which is very mildly abrasive but does speed up the rust removal.

Ballistol Lathe bed cleaner, lubricator and protectant

Dear Fellow turners:

A few years ago I discovered Ballistol. It is not a petroleum based product instead it is mineral oil based. A few of the advantages to this product are:
It is bio-degradeable.
It emulsifies (mixes) with water.
It penetrates cast iron and permanantly bonds with trapped moisture.
It has a very low surface tension which enables it to penetrate very small spaces.
It is slightly alkaline (8.3 PH) so it neutralizes acids such as those from you hands etc.
It dissolves traces of lead, copper etc. making it excellant for cleaning weapons.

After the first time I put it on my Stubby lathe bed, I needed to slide the tail stock back out of the way (I previously was using WD 40) and it almost went off the end of the bed and on to the floor!

I now use it on all the equipment in my shop and I have no rust problems (in FL and the door is open all summer).

Don

use t9 rust remover and steel wool. you could even use a power oscillating sander if need be, being careful not to gouge or remove too much. t9 protectant, wd-40, machine oil all work well after the rust has been removed, but a coat of trewax over and above the protectant makes the lathe bed nice and slick, as well as gives protection.

in the march 2004, wood magazine had a interesting article about rust busters, t9 seems to have won hands down, if you missed it, i would highly recommend it. you can download from

www.boeshieldcanada.com/wood.pdf

Last edited:
Don,
That’s my favorite goto lube, penetrating oil, protectant and cologne. It’s a veritable “miracle in a canâ€. I’m down to my last can, with only a few drops left…maybe I’ll spring for a 55 gallon drum, want to split it.:)
cc

Dear Fellow turners:

A few years ago I discovered Ballistol. It is not a petroleum based product instead it is mineral oil based.

HUH?

Any oil, animal, vegetable or mineral can be blended with a surfactant to make it disperse in polar solvents like water. You do it every day in the dishwasher. Unlike acids, alkaline surfactants won't pit metal, which is why we use them to clean sawblades and other woodworking tools. Some oil-based products are extremely alkaline, like aircraft hydraulic fluid. You can get a good burn from them. They don't worry about a bit of water in the lines, though, and they keep the surfaces which MUST be smooth from pitting as well. Here the objective is an invert emulsion.

Is there anyone here who doesn't understand that the presence of rust on the bed is not a problem, other than a cosmetic one, once the cause has been removed? I don't mind a bit of discoloration, and I'm certainly not going to abrade metal in pursuit of it.

I use steel wool, then rub some graphite powder on. That makes it real slick.

Back