• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Should posting privilages be restricted

to AAW members. This was mentioned in another thread and I wanted to throw it out for comments. I keep seeing where our Board of Directors is looking for ways to encourage membership, would making posting require membership be a way to encourage membership. Remember that we as members are paying for the board to be on the web with our membership money and raised moneys. We could still allow anyone to come read the content and this might also encourage membership if they saw an adult exchange of ideas and assistance.

With the latest troubles, I for one would lean towards restricting the board to AAW members in good standing but can see where not restricting could be a could thing also. Looking for adult and resonable comments!

Edit: Please note in your comments if you are a current member of AAW. Thanks

Wilford

Last edited:

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Hi Wilford

I have been reading the other thread, but staying out of it. I do have some thoughts though. I think there are a lot of people who are not members of the AAW who have something of value to contribute. I am not one of them. ;) Not that I don't think I have the occasional thing to say, but I am a member, at least this year. I don't always get my dues sent in.

I think that the board should be open to posting, but I think that people should be required to put their real names on the post. There is a wide range of opinions on me, my turnings, my perspectives, etc, but at least people know who I am, and who to like or dislike. I know some people are concerned about their privacy, safety, etc, but I have been on the internet since the beginning of its commercial use. I started way back in 1994 on Compuserve, and came to the internet when it was pretty much limited to the usenet discussion lists. I have seen forums come and go. My own personal information is everywhere. With just a little bit of effort people can find my name, address, and even phone number, and people do. I even have a likeness of my boyish good looks on most of the forums which support avatars, in case someone needs a new picture for their dartboard. I have posted controversial things in a number of different places, and I have statements that some consider offensive on my website regarding my religious beliefs. I get emails, phone calls, and personal visits. I even get invitations. Just a couple of weeks ago I stopped by Jake Debski's home to say hello and spend some time. And about 15 minutes ago a man and his wife who hail from Oklahoma stopped by for a visit on the way home from New York City.

But with all that, I have never received a threatening email, or had anyone threaten to come to my house with ill intent, or even more importantly show up with ill intent. For all I know someone has, and thought better of it once they arrived. Now, I have been emailed by kooks, weirdos and other fringe types who want to argue about something or take me to task for something I wrote, but no one has ever threatened me. Maybe I am just lucky.

But, I do not see how someone could come to harm by being required to post a real name here. I am sure there are those who will disagree, and that is their right. Some of them are even friends of mine. Just another one of my opinions. :cool2: Of course, I do not know how to police the real name thing. If someone wants to register as John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt, who are we to say that that is not his real name? But at least it is a real name.

Bill

Hi Wilford,

I am a member in (I hope) good standing but, until pretty recently, was not (a member, that is). I have very mixed feelings about this topic. Until relatively recently (the past year) I didn't see many, if any flames or nasty posts. This, and other woodturning sites appeared to be open, friendly, tollerant, and informative communities. Even arguments were carried out in humorous tones. Lack of skill or experience was treated with gentle, and sometimes quite repetative through necessity, advice and directions.

It really bugs me, now, to see posts regularly where folks are criticized for inexperience or opinion, or where folks put their own opinions forward as not only correct, but ruling out all others as stupid. The most unfortunate part about this is that someone who would behave in that manner is just the type of person who's sense of self-rightiousness, priviledge (spelling?), an malice can justify multiple identities, intentional harm, and deliberate poisoning of the well. A person such as this feels that any action they choose to take is justified because they are "RIGHT" and the rest of us should recognize that. Same kinda thing that leads to hate groups, extremism, and even terrorism. If you don't agree with them, you're the enemy.

So, at some point, you have to decide what you are willing to do to protect from folks like this. In a wierd way, it's just what terrorism shoots for, a reduction in freedoms and general abandonment of principals of community that "proves their point."

So, restricting posting to AAW members reduces freedom and will require a small monetary investment by starting turners that they may not be willing to make. Not restricting allows for flaming and inappropriate behavior to occur, which can be moderated but not stopped, and which will run off some new turners.

Is there a third option, maybe a more detailed registration required to begin posting?

If not, I'd tend to say moderate rather than restrict, with all of us keeping watch and gently trying to address and contain inappropriate behavior so as to prevent folks from being run off.

If we can keep things friendly and supportive, the folks who don't want it that way will stand out like a turd in a punchbowl and will not be seen as representative of this forum.

IMHO
Dietrich

P.S.(whatcha wanna bet someone will become upset by my refferences to terrorism?)

Last edited:
Bill, I respect your opinion, but please understand that there are a lot of people who have compelling and legitimate reasons not to use their name, at least not their complete name, on the postings. Circumstances in life are very different for other people. This has come up in a number of forums, and the final result was that the majority felt better using a nickname.

I am a member of AAW, and very proud of it. I would put my membership number and/or name in the profile if necessary, but I don't want a simple web search to come up with my name all over.

I hope you will understand my reasoning. Best regards!

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I don't have a problem with people posting under pseudonyms either, since the old days (Bill, I had a compuserve account, but ran a dial up BBS too!).

What I would like to see is open forums, but a registration, even if it has to be on a secure server, that requires a real name an phone number we (moderators) can associate that person to.
I was real big into rec.woodturning, but have issue with it being too open and have seen what that can do to the quality of material that gets posted.

Steve, I totally agree with you on a good registration process, with at least the email verification. I think it is a happy medium solution. Thanks for what you do.

Replys

This thread with its honest answers and real problem resolution being worked is why I have enjoyed and want to protect this forum!!! Thanks!!!!

Bill - I believe in privacy but like you I don't fear my name being on this forum. There are lots more info I would hate to have loose in public records at the DMV and the county tax assesors office and if someone wants to go there personally it will be give to them free of charge!!!

kKulze - The help give freely and in courteous fashion to new turners is one of the reasons I have some misgivings on restricting the forum. But is it any worse when a new turner fears to post? You are an example of a membership being gained by the accessibility of the forum.

Fred/Steve - I am seeing a move all over the web to some sort of restrictions due to the type of problems we have experienced. Steve, one forum I joined recently required you to apply with name, active email - the moderators then send out your password. We can still use nicknames but the moderators know a name with an active password - this was done for the same reasons we would have and according to the moderators has stopped 99% of the problems! This may be a very acceptable compromise if it could be worked with the new software.

Albertbob - I wonder if the moderators could put a AAW copyright on the forum master page (such as on home page). Then if someone was profiting from the use of the forum information - AAW could take legal steps just like they can on use of the Journal. Steve could you check into this - just my $0.02 of an idea.

Thanks guys - keep up the responses, I want to hear more!!!

Wilford

Sic-em

albertabob said:
I will rephrase my original question in the light of the misinterpretation and subsequent flames it recieved on another thread. :D

Question:

Should any individual post a querie here on this forum and subsequently lift the replies, sketches, pictures and or detailed explanations verbatum and post them on a commercial forum without consent?

Should this site and the authors of content here be given acknowledgment when this occurs as it is done in academic writings?

Is this not a form of Cyber plagerism?

As was pointed out earlier on another thread,this site is sponsored entirely by the AWW.
Several others derive their incomes from google advertisements etc that pop up depending on the topic discussed.
That is no doubt why they are being offered to anybody right now for free.

I am alone so far in finding this behaviour aggravating and demeaning. :confused:

So hypothetically, let's say I respond to each thread where I am able here to assist the membership in the enjoyment of this craft only to find that my writings are now available on CD from a source I am completely unfamiliar with for a fee!
What recourse do I have now? Do I buy it?

While I realise it is difficult to police this "Grazing" on the internet but, by the same token, it should not become the standard here.
Who wants to post their lifes' work for the profit of a complete stranger?

I will not ask for any support for my point of view but your replies will help me considerably in deciding what is best for me.

There is a "social contract" here and it would be best addressed by looking at both sides of the issue.
I am not a member of this forum as yet although I note that my local turning group has been acknowledged recently.

I will consider membership, if and when, a policy respecting both sides of the forum question has been resolved.

Albertabob

Bob,

While some here know that I make my living as an attorney, I do not give legal advice "on the Internet" because such activity is prohibited for lawyers who are not admitted to practice in all the places reached by the Internet. I can, however, suggest that, instead of soliciting responses from well-meaning but ordinary people on this (or any other) forum, you will be better served to consult with an attorney in your area who works in the area of "intellectual property." You should put together a body of evidence, including your postings and "use" by the Grazers you describe, for that person to look at and evaluate. Then and only then will you have a real sense of what your rights actually are. Just also be sure to ask about what it will cost to enforce those rights.

Mark Mandell

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
albertabob said:
So hypothetically, let's say I respond to each thread where I am able here to assist the membership in the enjoyment of this craft only to find that my writings are now available on CD from a source I am completely unfamiliar with for a fee!
What recourse do I have now? Do I buy it?
Albertabob
I am guessing I did misinterpret your posting.

Are you talking about someone posting a question, someone responding and then the messages reprinted without permission?

I don't know if this applies or not but I am the webmaster and chief moderator of a discussion forum sponsored by my guild--The honourable Cordwainers' ompany...a 501 c-3 non-profit, tax exempt, educational trade guild. We've beeen online six-seven years now.

We looked into this business and had a high priced Washington lawyer give us an opinion. The upshot is that we have a disclaimer as part of the "terms of use" stating that when a person posts to our forum the forum thereby gains all copyright...although in practice the member does not necessarily relinquish copyright. If members are required to register and give email addresses it naturally makes it easier to enforce.

But the bottom line is that if the forum has some legal claim to copyright....any unauthorized reproduction of material from the forum would be illegal--a violation of that copyright.

This is all new, you know--internet copyright...few or no precedents and no one really knows what the results of a copyright violation suit would be but that's the jist of the legal advice we got.

FWIW....

albertabob said:
I am just trying to find a place where I fit in.

I trust you can at least appreciate my perspective.

Bob

Oops,

Yes, I guess I may have read "into" your post more than was there; an easy thing to do with everyone. On a personal view, I anticipate that once I put my "pearls of wisdom" :rolleyes: out here for free, there is the risk they'll be harvested and misused by dishonest people. Such is life, and I won't have it inhibit me when someone here honestly (I assume) asks for some help that I can contribute to freely giving. I do have to accept the fact that once I give the help freely in a public forum on the internet, I've given it to everyone, not just the person who asked the question.

I think you certainly can fit in anywhere you wish to so long as you're prepared to accept the whole situation. I enjoy reading what you and so many others here have to say. I'd regret losing diversity in the community caused by the impropriety of "outsiders."

I hope I'm now responding to your hypothetical. :)

Mark

I'm not a member at the time but I do want to join soon, just with time and money, I have to "save up" just to buy a decent bowl gouge. I'm new to woodturning and only have rudimentary equipment (you know, lathe driven by hamster wheel, granite parting tools, scrapers made out of walrus tusk, etc...)

I don't know the situations that happened, so I can't say whether it's an overreaction or not to restrict to non-members.

How about this- all the non memebers registered given free memberships, and *then* restrict it? Yeah, that's it! What? Aw, man, c'mon. :(

Website
www.picturetrail.com
Wilford;
I am not a member of AAW. I would love to be. But I live at least a seven hour drive from the nearest chapter to me in BC and a four hour drive by driving over the border to go to the one in Spokane , Washington. The four hour drive does not bother me except for the fact that my nearest border crossing is only open from 7.00AM until 11.00 PM every day, There is no way I could attend an evening meeting and be back before the border closes. Renting a motel for a night and coming back the next day is not an option for me because it is not in my budget when figuring in the price of gasoline etc these days.
If there was a chapter within a couple hours from me I would join in a heartbeat. I know I would learn a lot as a member of AAW. I learn a lot from forum sites but there is nothing better than hands on demonstrations and advice from turners that know a heck of a lot more about it than I do.

If the site was restricted to only AAW members, I would still come here to learn as I have since becoming a member of this site and I enjoy sharing my experiences with others . Quite often when I post a picture and description of some of my turnings I get responses that are quite beneficial to me . Here as well as elswhere.
I would miss being eliminated from sharing like that if the site was for members only but it would not be a catastrophy for me. There are lots of other sites where topics can be shared without a membership to an organization required in order to participate..
Which ever way AAW decides to go on this , I will respect thier decision.
W.Y.

Members

William Young said:
Wilford;
I am not a member of AAW. I would love to be. But I live at least a seven hour drive from the nearest chapter

Hey Bill,

Where did you get the :p idea that you have to attend some club meeting to be an AAW member?

I'm "legal" and "card carrying" but I've never joined or attended any club or its meetings. I might like to some time, there are several within an hour's drive, but I don't have the time; maybe if/when I retire . . .

Anyway, $40 and you get the membership card (of "yewer verrry o'wen") and 4 mags a year. The decoder ring you'll have to dig up for yourself, but I'll be happy to give you the Secret Handshake if you show up in KC :D

Mark

Website
www.woodturner.org
Like Mark Mandell, I am also an AAW member. I don't go to club meetings because it is a 1 hour drive for a 2 hour meeting. Also the initial drive is thru post-rush hour traffic. I just don't like driving very much, and would rather be turning.

The AW Journal is worth the price of admission to me. Plus I attend the symposium so that is discounted by the membership fee.

Membership in any guild/association/union is driven by a combination of real and perceived benefits. The magazine, the symposium, the directory and the local chapters are the main ones. AWW is a high-class organization, so membership alone carries a certain status as well, at least to me. I like being a member. I plan on staying a member.

Certainly the AAW website provides a tremendous benefit to the turning community, members and non-members alike.

The website is one of the best membership marketing tools the AAW could have. Anyone can browse and benefit from the content. Most people appreciate this, member or not. Non-members, I think, will be more apt to become members if the website is open. Its existence and the thoughtful way it is organized is a telling example of how the AAW operates.

Now, if only the magazine were published monthly instead of quarterly.

Bob Hadley

Jeez Guys I guess I missed whatever it was that started all this. I come to this website nearly everyday. I have been a member for around 1 1/2 yrs. Remember that pain in the butt in school that was never pleased at someone elses happiness or a positive move forward by a group? He appearantly is here too. He lives for attention. Unfortunately he seems to be getting plenty at this time. I suggest let the moderators do their job. You will never stop it completely no matter what. Why don't we be adults. He may stomp his feet or hold his breath. So what? I dont hear him in my world. There are a lot of good people in our circle, talented people willing to share. If someone one wants to critisize me or make fun, so be it. For what it's worth I do take the art of wood turning seriously. I am currently taking bids for a 1500 sq ft shop that will be strictly woodturning. You will notice my email address is the header. Lets get back on topic and turn some wood,
Jim :cool2:

Overlooked solution?

It has been my experience that trolls and flame artists go away if no one confronts or engages them. The Forum can continue to function as is if we ignore the deliberate agitators. The smug and arrogant are another problem, :eek: but they too seem less disruptive if we skip over any response they post. It doesn’t take long to get a feel for which posters are worth reading and which are not. Personal censorship combined with the moderators watchful efforts is in “my†view all that is needed.

As to the copyright thing, I'm at a loss on that issue. :confused:

Restricting postings

I often wonder why so few turners post on this forum. I am a member in good standing and consider this forum the, yes, the premier web forum for turners. We need to attract more unexperience, and seriously experienced turners to share the knowledge. All of us can learn from each other, including the novice contributing to the experienced. I would hate to see a restricted enviornment for turners as there are plenty of those around already. Philip

No restrictions

I've been an AAW member for a couple of years (this is year 6). I could pick up the Journal at the Woodcraft store or Barnes & Noble and save a few bucks if that was my only reason for joining. No, I'm a member because I support the work that the AAW is doing.

From my perspective, this forum is an important part of that work -- a way to make good woodturning information available on the Internet to anyone and everyone. I believe that restricting this forum to AAW members would severely handicap its usefulness. I'm willing to "bite my tongue" and keep from responding to a few posts in order to keep this forum open to all.

Encouraging membership

We can't compel members - we must give them incentive to join. The higher the quality and diversity on posting the more we'll encourage membership in the long haul. In our local club, I've watched new duys resist joining AAW, but they usually come around in time. As long as we're exchanging useful information, there's value added.

Website
www.theturnersshop.com
When I first started turning I joined the AAW. I received the magazines and came to this forum often. I felt that the AAW forum would have to be “the†place for the exchange of woodturning information. It was not; instead it appeared to be the least used forum on the subject. They only ones that consistently posted and answered questions were the moderators. I still come here all the time and read this forum as I do pick up some useful information here. With that said though, I still have no intention of sticking my roughing gouge inside of a bowl but hey, that’s just me! I have read where several people talk about all the good the AAW does for woodturning but I myself have never seen any of it. To me all the AAW did was too send me a not too great magazine once in awhile and host this forum. Again I don’t wish to argue this rather I am simply stating my perspective.

What I can say positive though is the tide appears to be changing. Due to a message thread not very long ago I went and purchased the newest issue of the magazine and it is much better that any previous issue. The forum is also getting better also. The How-To collection is great and is really benefiting me at this point as I am assembling a vacuum chuck system. The information I needed was right there and I thank the moderators for take the time to assemble that area. I do think it needs to be advertised better though. When I click on Community then Forum I should end up at the main forum menu instead of in a forum but that is just my opinion.

Now to the topic at hand I think if the AAW requires membership to post a message the AAW will only hurt themselves as this forum is a great opportunity to add value to becoming a member. A new turner is filled with so many questions and this should be the place to get those questions answered. Although those answers should not be “Buy $120 a piece tools and a Powermatic Lathe and throw everything else away†in my opinion. My suggestion would be to create a forum restricted to members only and leave the main forum for general posting. This would give a place to just members of AAW to post outside of the public area and at the same time give a bit of incentive in becoming a member.

Just my opinions.

What Kwgeorge said and more,

I have found in my short tenure posting on this site that the BBS is infrequently posted to, and that a lot of eliteism exists. For information, I go to SMC. The organization is grounded in good intent but, is infiltrated by people who seem to think that expensive = appropriate. Let's face it, most woodworkers and turners are on a budget. If you go to a membership only policy this site is dead... Period!

Chris

Not exactly

drjcbarton said:
What Kwgeorge said and more,

I have found in my short tenure......................, and that a lot of eliteism exists...................... is infiltrated by people who seem to think that expensive = appropriate. Let's face it, most woodworkers and turners are on a budget. If you go to a membership only policy this site is dead... Period!

Chris

Chris,

I can only speak for myself. I began turning 3 or 4 years ago and I’m at the bottom end of the budget scale when it comes to hobby expenditures. I could no more afford the cost of a Stubby or a big Oneway than I could a beach house in the Hamptons. I have gone through 3 lathes, the last one had enough sand bags and iron hanging off it to look like something out of the Road Warrior movies. My frustration level was incredable. I stood on my head and used every means available to me to scrape up enough to pay for my Powermatic. When someone asks me “what lathe should I buy,†I honestly tell them to save until they can afford at least a Powermatic. That is not elitism, its practical advice based on experience. I suspect I’m not the only one that answers from that position. Your criticism does touch on a problem though, helping new turners on very limited budgets achieve satisfactory results during their early learning periods.

I, for one, want to hear from every interested person. Not just coments on others work but samples of their work. .weather a member or not.
Posting by a real name would e OK with me. I post as "square2round" but would not object to using my real name. However I have no clue as to how I would do that. I am not much of a computer literate.

Hi Jake,

I understand your POV but, I am glad I didn't wait until I could get my PM3520a. I got started with a $300 Ridgid and a $100 set of gouges and chisels. And, believe it or not, I did some very respectable work with that lathe. Everyone knows their budget and if they have to get their feet wet with a starter lathe I humbly submit thats better than not turning at all or trying to wait to save up for something they may lose interest in. Frankly, when someone asks about that first lathe I suggest a Jet Mini, inexpensive and with high quality and serviceability to boot. While I am not an AAW member, I would think that promoting the art and hobby should be the first priority of the organization...

Chris

Jake Debski said:
Chris,

I can only speak for myself. I began turning 3 or 4 years ago and I’m at the bottom end of the budget scale when it comes to hobby expenditures. I could no more afford the cost of a Stubby or a big Oneway than I could a beach house in the Hamptons. I have gone through 3 lathes, the last one had enough sand bags and iron hanging off it to look like something out of the Road Warrior movies. My frustration level was incredable. I stood on my head and used every means available to me to scrape up enough to pay for my Powermatic. When someone asks me “what lathe should I buy,†I honestly tell them to save until they can afford at least a Powermatic. That is not elitism, its practical advice based on experience. I suspect I’m not the only one that answers from that position. Your criticism does touch on a problem though, helping new turners on very limited budgets achieve satisfactory results during their early learning periods.

Slightly more reply

drjcbarton said:
Hi Jake,

Frankly, when someone asks about that first lathe I suggest a Jet Mini, inexpensive and with high quality and serviceability to boot. While I am not an AAW member, I would think that promoting the art and hobby should be the first priority of the organization...

Chris

Chris,

I should have been more specific. Most of the people that have asked me "which lathe" already have started turning. Hence my advice to save up till....... I recently, within the last month, advised my nephew to get the Jet-Mini and a set of Harbor Freight chisels to grind on till he developed a feel or could afford a sharpening jig. I personally feel the AAW does a very good job promoting turning. It is an expensive hobby and not easy to start for a newbie.

Lathe Recommendations

I too was somewhat surprised at the "eliteist" comment on lathe recommendations. In the last 3 yrs I have purchased the following in this order. 1 Delta midi- 1 Powermatic 3520 and 1 Carba- tec pen lathe. The order of purchase might make one wonder if I had indeed lost my mind. I use all of these lathes daily. When I am asked what lathe I recommend I always go with the PM. Reason? It is simply the best of the 3. However I didn't purchase the PM first. Reason? I was busy (and cash poor) from buying thousandns of dollars worth of various tools and supplies. My expenditures for the various supplies and systems far exceeded the cost of all 3 of my lathes. (A little less than 3000.00 at the time) It is so hard to advise a new would be turner what to buy. All of us want to help and give the best advice possible. Unfortunately we have no way of knowing the personal or financial situation of the person seeking advice. Is his or her mate willing to sacrifice to help with the costs , both financially and personally. The best advise I suppose is to seek out a local wood turning club and get help there. But that wasn't the question was it. A person willing to advise and help is nearly in a catch 22 position. If we all realize there is no one answer to the question, which lathe is the best. Only after some time in the craft and some bevel time will anyone know what might be best for him or her. I gotta quit cause I type like old people pole vault. The best to each of you from me,
Jim :cool2:

Website
www.theturnersshop.com
Jim I think your response was the best I have read to date. Everyone’s needs and desires are different and so may be there interest in what they wish to turn. Unfortunately this site has the potential to reach more people than a local club. In my case I understand that the local woodturning club is very good and I would like to join but they are 50 miles away from me and this makes it hard for me to attend meeting with my limited time. So went I started turning I depended on forums, videos, books and lessons learned to progress in turning.

Website
www.woodturningdesign.info
I'm not a AAW member but would like to add my comments if I may. The site and the Forum has interest to people and influence far beyond the limits that most comments so far have acknowledged. I'm from the Uk (member of the AWGB) and have posted comments, advertised my site and can vouch from the visit statistics (to my site) that the Forum generates visitors from Europe, Australasia and elsewhere. Your Forum has a very active membership in comparison to those elsewhere in the world, it would be a shame if a few unhelpful comments from the self opinionated causes a breakdown in what is a educational resource for all. With regard to intellectual property etc. all my material is free and the moment I post information on the Net I know I lose control over its distribution and use. Accepting this I still choose to publish material in this way - knowledge should be freely available and all it costs me is time. Keep the Forum open to all and trust the moderators. Maybe we have to accept that one of the failures of written language can be the lack of inflection and emphasis that occurs with the spoken word. Sometimes we can make the mistake of reading meanings into words that may not necessarily be intended by the writer. Stay chiiled and enjoy, life is too short!

I've only recently joined here, but I have 2 cents to add to some of the various statements previously give. On the question of pseudonyms vs names: I recently left a forum for just that reason. In these days of identify theft, malicious actions by individuals, etc: why make it easy for them? Friend of mine had enough info gathered from websites by some dishonest individual (s), they made a run at his bank, try to drain it. They failed but they came close. Police figured out the initial source was info from some of the personal info he had put on some websites.
Am I an AAW member: no. Will I ever: maybe. I'm taking a look for a while, then depending on what I see, I might join.
Why do I post without membership: I belong to a number of forums and I feel I contribute to them or I wouldn't belong to them. I try to help others where I can.
When I'm turning, I'm not turning bowls or vases, I'm turning replacement parts. I do furniture restoration/repair for a living. When I'm turning, I'm usually making a new part to replace a broken or damaged one. I just do different style turnings than many here do.

That's my 2 cents (or is it a nickel?).
Paul

Last edited:
I know that we're getting a lil off topic with this elitism stuff, but it's hit a nerve with me. I'm quite new to woodturning, and for pete's sake, I use a *ShopSmith*. It's a fantastic machine (like a swiss army tool for the cabinet shop) but as said before, it's not too good a lathe, specifically vibration damping.

As far as the price of the lathe itself, as long as it's a *solid* built piece of machinery, I don't mind dumping some c-notes. But good grief what's the deal with tools?

Who the heck is Robert Sorby, why do I care, and why does he want $90 for a 3/4 inch scraper? C'MON folks, it's a 10 inch piece of hss steel and a piece of ash. Somebody has a whole buck worth of material in it, maybe a buck in overhead, and two bucks in labor. I say $15 is a nice markup. I, and everyone else who punches a clock for a living, should refuse to pay such ludicrous prices, there's always a cheaper way.

I just bought a set of hss tools at Harbor Freight, as recommended here, for $35, literally one fifth of what Mr. Elite wants for his, and $10 to your nothing I bet in the right hands they'll do just as good a job.

My view on posting restrictions

The first thing I do after reading a comment about my posted photos or commentary is look at their posted work. If their work has merit and reflects the same seriousness and dedication that I put into my work, then their comment mean something to me. If they have no work posted, I ignore them.

This is a first rate site and I really like the people who moderate it. I'd like to see AAW as an organization that is open to all ideas. Culture and society flourish when we think outside the box and challenge the status quo. I don't have to know the person's name, for me their work is their identity, and I respect the desire for anonymity.

More of the same...

I am not an AAW member- though plan to join when I get around to it (heck- maybe after I finish typing this up...)

AAW membership is neither required nor included when joining my local group- which I did within a couple of months getting started. I will put my money in their coffer because I believe they provide a good service, and want to help support them in their offerings to others. And because I can afford it.

I think it would be a shame to limit access to the information here to those who cannot. As has already been stated, this is not a cheap hobby to get started in (hardly cheap to stay in, either). Many folks just don't have the bucks to buy a membership when faced with starting their collections of chisels and accessories- and in the bang to buck ratio, I'd say that joining a local chapter, buying books, videos, and maybe a lesson would come in above the AAW membership card (though, as I said, I don't have one- and it could be mighty slick).

While allowing non-members to read but not post might help with the flaming, it might not. And newer lathe-jockeys (most certainly non-members) I believe would benefit greatly from being able to ask a question at a site they would reasonably believe was frequented by experienced turners. Being allowed to participate in the forum would be, IMHO, the best way to encourage membership- not the opposite.

As far as privacy goes, well, posting your full name and state of residence is hardly going to put you at undue risk of identity theft. Ever heard of a phone book? Has the same info, available to all (and on the internet). Of course, consider the source (one of 5000 Jeffrey Brown's in NC). ;)

I am an AAW member but read this forum for a long time before joining. The reason that I joined was that I had learned quite a bit from this forum and also I wanted the magazine. I'm certainly not at the same level as some(most?) of the folks who post here. I would be against limiting access to non members. When I go to different sites that require registration prior to reading I generally go somewhere else for that information. If you have a problem with a particular poster then deal with them. The great majority of posters are helpful and polite. As for the contests, I think that it would be entirely acceptable to limit winners to AAW members.

Glen Granberry

Hi all. This is my first post and I am an AAW member. Since I am very new to this forum, I haven't seen the problems eluded to on this thread and should probably be thankful. A number of years ago, I participated in another woodworking forum and found many of the posts so offensive that I just quit looking at it and haven't been back since. I would hate for this forum to go that way. We should all appreciate the moderators for their work to keep this forum civil. My wife is a moderator on a sewing forum so I have a pretty good idea of how much time it involves.

We should keep in mind the mission of the AAW to promote education, information and organization to those interested in woodturning. With that in mind, I don't believe that restricting posting privilages to only AAW members is consistent with that mission. That would be somewhat akin to not permitting non-AAW members to join your AAW chapter. We want to encourage non-members to join AAW but it shouldn't be a pre-requisite to ask a woodturning question. If a poster gets unruly, rude, doesn't follow the rules, etc., they should just be banned from posting.

Just my 0.02
Steve Rowe

Back