• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

New lathe?

I have decided to get new lathe(again). A friend bought a Delta 46-460 and is very happy with it. I have tried it and it is a big improvement over what I have. I have decided my upper limit dollar wise is $1000, but maybe the Novo 1624-44 is in the mix. As I look there are too many options. Does anyone have opinions on the Laguna 14-43, or the General 25-200. Any advice would be appreciated.

New Lathe

John,

Are you going to turn much in the 12-16 inch range? What types of stuff do you turn now. Will your chuck(S) and other items move from your current lathe to one or both of these.

Lots of questions. Our club just acquired the Delta. Wonderful lathe. The Nova has excellent reviews. Other than size, the major difference is the variable speed on the Delta V. the belt changes for the Nova.

John :)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Over all size can be a big factor depending on the space you have in your shop. I upgraded from a mini lathe (back then they all had 10" swing and 1/2hp motors) to a Nova 3000. It had a bigger motor and larger swing but with only one bed extension was still short enough to fit in my shop.
Eventually I bought another bed extension for it when I moved and had larger shop. The Laguna and Grizzly lathes are considerably longer. However they are also heavier which is good when you do larger work. Therefore I would look at the work you do and the space you have. The Delta will do 90 percent of the work I do and I think it's a fabulous lathe and priced very nice. Step pulley lathes aren't bad and it certainly keeps the price and maintenance of a lathe down. I still use the step pulley on my Nova Comet. Once you have a variable speed lathe it's hard to go back.

Website
www.synlube.net
Delta 46-460

I just acquired the new Delta Midi lathe and love it. It has all the features I think I will ever need. And, if I get to the point where I need to turn something longer, I can always add the extension table. For now it is all I need and is a great lathe. I am also impressed with the customer satisfaction aspect of Delta Machinery. I was once in a rough spot because the power tool had been fazed out and made obsolete. Some parts were still available and some were not. Murphy's law applied and the part that failed was not available. Delta bent over backwards to help me get the tool fixed.

Delta 45-460

After some 30 years a new lathe!! The 46-460 has met all of my expectations.
The price is right with bells and whistles F/R, 250 rpms for slow speed, 12.5 swing, very smooth, quiet and and easy belt change. Perfect if 12 inches is enough swing.
Peter

new lathe

Thanks for the replys. I guess the enthusiasm for the Delta and few comments about other options is the most telling factor. I am curently using a Shopmaster Lathe. Purchased by my Dad in 1946 for 20 dollars. I have the paper work. It is very light weight and has the capacity of the mini lathes. I have just enjoyed making it work in spite of it's shortcomings. My chucks have adaptors that will allow me to use them on the Delta. My Morse code #1 tools will have to be replaced, or I can get a adaptor. I have turned a few long spindles but I do not need to. I find very few chunks of wood that will provide turning blocks larger then 12 inches. I guess I will drive to the cities tomorrow and get a new Delta 46-460. :)

Back