• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Respirators

I was just looking up some dust as well as face shield protection on the www.
They tell me the 3M power visor has been discontinued. Caution to order partrs now while available if you now have a Power Visor.

Has anyone used the Trend Airshield?
How about the Triton power respirator?
3M Airstream costs too much. $689.

I have a "cigarete cough" but do not smoke and have not. I think dust is the culperet.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have had an Airmate 3 model that has been discontinued for years. Parts are readily available becuase they are used fairly heavy in the medical industry. I even modified it to use LiIon rechargables instead of the $100 nicad pack.

That said, I have seen several posts on the triton and those folks seems to like them.

I've been using the Airmaster 30 for about a year now and like it a lot. My "cigarette" cough cleared up almost immediately after starting to use it. I use it turning, of course, but more importantly, when sanding and sharpening.

Whit

Website
www.phoenixwood.ca
triton power respirator

its a good device, takes a while to get use to the helmet and the weight. not used to a hardhat but after a few uses don't notice it too much. Somebody said the hose is too stiff and replaced it with more flexible stuff. Get about 4 hrs between charges. the ear muffs are helpful since i run a loud shopvac when power sanding. i can smell the walnut but never sneeze when sanding. And it good for grating onions, no tears at all - don't like freezing them.

I have the Trend Airshield. The choice was Trend or Triton and I didn't think the Triton's belt pack would work for me - too much stuff to put on so I wouldn't use it as much as I should. The Trend is much more like a regular, if heavy, faceshield, very easy to put on and take off. The battery pack is rated for 4 hrs and seems to run at least that long - longer than I normally use it for in one session.
I didn't think the lack of earmuffs would be a problem but power sanding with the shop vac on gets a bit too noisy. Next on the list - earmuffs that fit behind instead of over the head.
Unanticipated side-effect: the fan is not at all noisy but it does do a very good job of drowning out ambient sounds, like the call to supper!

Graeme

Thanks for all the info.
I also found a very brief article about power dust hoods in the May issue of WOOD. Too brief to add much to the discusion.
I also found the posts, on this subject, of 5/31.

What about the AIRCAP 2. Do any of you use it? It is a unit kind of half way between the Triton and Trend models.

A 3M "sandpaper" represenative will be visiting my shop on the 14th. Maybe I can find out from her why they have discontinued their popular powered hood.
Would be nice if I could sweetalk her out of one.

Decisions-decisions-decisions. :confused:

One thing to watch out for. There are several devices out there that are designed to filter dust and act as a light face shield. These are great from the dust end but are not designed to provide facial protection beyond keeping sawdust out. Might want to avoid these as we turners have more to worry about with chunks than sawdust/chips.

dietrich

3M Power Visor Battery & Charger Options

I have seen a number of posts on the old forum concerning problems with the power visor battery. If you have a battery pack that isn't lasting long enough or is dead, check out the website www.members.cox.net/dreel. It offers to replace your old batteries with new ones that last about 10 hours for $25.

If you are having charger problems, I would suggest you pick up a 4.5 volt charger from radio shack and wire your existing charger plug to it or take the old charger in to get them to provide an equivalent replacement plug. They're very reasonably priced. The current is not critical but should be in the 200 to 400 millampere range. Higher currents charge more quickly. Too high a current can damage the battery by over charging.

I hope this helps those who have this nice respirator keep them running.

Dave Reel

I'm using the Trend Airsheild. I like it because it doens't fog glasses, it works with a beard and it's comfortable -- even enjoyable in the summer with the breeze created by it.

I had to get it because the dust in the shop had aggrivated my bronchial tubes to the point of developing asthma. Without the Trend Airsheild, I would have had toi give up woodworking.

:) Dave Reel's site also has a section on replacing the batteries in the Racal Airmate. My very old batteries only started to fail a few months ago. They no longer will hold a charge so I will follow the hint on his site to replace the batteries rather than try to purchase the expensive replacement battery pack. Thanks. :)

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I did something similar with my Airmate. I removed the battery all together, replaced it with a 2 D cell and a single D cell battery holder. I got NiMH D cells from the Frys that charge in a hour. Batterys run $15/pair and the charger was $30 (high end version, does AA/AAA/C also).

I don't use the external charger any more so when I need to recharge, I have to open up the case and pull the batteries.

Trend Airshield

I ordered a Trend Airshield with the intention of protecting my lungs from harmful dust from spalted woods, etc. But when it arrived, I saw the warnings on the box that said it is not a respirator and will not protect from harmful dusts. It also says it is not for eye protection, so I'm not sure what it is even intended for. Those of you that have it, do you feel like it is satisfactorily protecting your eyes and lungs? Does anyone have any recommendations for something better? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Website
www.woodturner.org
I have and actively use the Trend airshield. It is not perfect. However it keeps nearly all the dust out and it acts as a faceshield. The dust that gets thru is not enough to even worry about, and it fact that dust may be from having it just sit in the shop.

I just cut a bunch of pressure treated wood for a deck project using a radial arm saw. The Trend airshield kept out all the dust from what I could tell.

I like the unit because there is nothing hanging down my back and the mask section can be flipped up as needed.

Website
www.woodturner.org
You're right - it definitely won't keep out fumes! That would probably give me an overdose of onion fumes!

For those who have not seen the Trend Airshield - it has dust filtering capabilities only. It will not filter out organics or any other types of fumes.

TEK

onions

The last time I tuned Onions it made an awful mess. It's reall hard to get the chuck jaws to grab them. Do you think I wuld be better off with a screw chuck? The smell did get through my Trend Airshield,b but none of the chunks did. Seriously, I am quite happy with my Airshield. It passes the critical test. That being, if I lost mine I'd buy one again.

Something to add on the 3M Airstream units. They are now supplied from 3M without a charger which is $150.00 more!. :eek:

I just bought one only to find this out after it arrived. Presently 3M’s website states these do come with a charger so after going through a few people they are sending me one at n/c. The funny thing is the manager who handled this at 3M was also confused as to why they are only selling these without a charger as one clearly needs it to recharge the battery. :confused: :confused:

Thumbs up to 3M for doing the right thing in my case. :D

Bill

I been using my Trend airshield fo almost a year now.
It promptly cured my "cigaret" cough. I don't smoke but coughed a lot from dust for many years. It does a good job for me and I don't turn, saw or sand without it.
I expect their attorneys have them disclaim everything they can .Not based on performance just fear of lawsuits. It is convenient and feels about like a hardhat.

Air flow meter

I would like to measure the air flow in a positive air flow mask. Dose anyone have a diagram that will show me how to make an air flow meter? Several of the positive air masks for sale supply a measuring device that appears to be very simple. If anyone on this forum has such a device I would like to hear from them.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Clavyam,

The 3M Airstream and 3M Breathe Easy both have a flow rate of 10 CFM. I believe that the Triton flow rate is 6 CFM and the Trend Airshield is a bit less. To measure flow, I think tha you could use a length of PVC pipe (like 5' of 3/4") and a sensitive manometer. It would require placing the manometer at the turbine end of the pipe and measuring bothe blocked port pressure and open port pressure. You would also need to locate a table for pressure drop as a function of flow rate for air. The pressure drop is the difference between the two readings.

Bill

Back