• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What did you get For Christmas

Yes -- someone has to do it. What did you get for Christmas (wood turning stuff)? I received a turning smock and a light. Loved the smock, fits over my vest so I can be warm in the shop and not have shavings to brush off. The light was a surprise by my son and his girl friend. It is a Led trouble light from HF. It has a magnetic base and throws a round circle spot. When attached to my lathe bed it illuminates the inside of bowls perfectly. This was the answer to my posts about shop lighting. Very cool tools. Oh ya, my self gift from PS is to arrive soon. Happy New Year to all.

Christmas Cheer

My wife knew I needed a new chuck so she purchased a Oneway Stronghold chuck for me. She was really proud of herself because she went down to the shop and took the size off the grizzly knockoff I have been using. And she did get the right shaft size, only thing is I have a Jet Mini and the Stronghold is a bit more than I need so it has been sent back to Craft Supplies and I will be getting a Talon instead. I used the price difference along with some gift certificates the kids gave me to get the Sorby Spiraling and texturing tool. Another daughter gave me a gift certificate to Penn State... Still contemplating.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas,

Doug

woodturning christmas gifts

i got the four sets of mini jaws for my nova chucks that woodcraft is currently offering, a woodcraft gift certificate and a pennstate 1 1/2" roundnose scraper that i will regrind to a "ray key" style profile. that's all that is turning related.

xmas

received two 1/2 round nose scrapers, 6" blade lenght, it was a super price before xmas from penn state, brothers ask what i wanted, i like to reshape the turning end for different things,

also i bought myself Bob Rosand's skew ,1/4" round high speed steel, eight inches long. i have to start somewhere to use the skew :confused:, maybe i can learn something at Virginia's Woodturning Symposium in october with Alan Lacer. :D

Last edited:
I got a signature gouge and all the hollowing tools directly from Mr. David Ellsworth! I also got a supernova chuck with the 100 mm bowl holders... ;)

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Spin Doctor.......:D

Was paid for using some Christmas money sent to me by my dear old mother!

.....bless her heart! ;)

Hopefully, it will arrive sometime in January 2010.

......and fingers crossed that it will be better than my Oneway bowl steady......:)

ooc

Attachments

• swartz.jpg
    swartz.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 58
I hit the jackpot my wife went all out and got me 2 days of classes with Bill Grumbine and a 3 day course with David Ellsworth.Both of whom I am fortunate are within a reasonable drive of my home. Now all I need is for Santa to make my back feel better :).

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year

I just can't believe how intuitive your wives are. I spend all my extra time in the shop and I got underwear and a deepfry. Do you all leav e a wish list laying around or just tell your loved ones what you would like.
I am going to the yearly woodworking show in Indianapolis in January and you can bet I will be taking my checkbook. I am looking for a nice powerful woodburner and a power carver. Anyone have suggestions. Thanks
P.S. Santa WILL be coming to town.

subtile hint

My wants me leave the catalog out on the table with the item I want circled. One year I was shopping at a woodcraft store and when I got through she asked me what I wanted and sent me outside so she could buy it. Her name still shows up on my account.

I got a Cindy Drozda negative rake scraper for xmas.

Vernon

I hit the jackpot my wife went all out and got me 2 days of classes with Bill Grumbine and a 3 day course with David Ellsworth.Both of whom I am fortunate are within a reasonable drive of my home. Now all I need is for Santa to make my back feel better :).

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year

Good for you! I just took the Ellsworth class and it'a amazing!!!! Good luck and have fun!

Website
www.turnings.basketryetc.com
My wife had this Christmas off tool-wise as it was golf club upgrade time:D.
The folks/inlaws did pretty well with a new detail gouge, sorby texturing tool, 2 kelton hollowing tools and few new lights for the shop.

I got a 20" stainless steel boring bar along with gift certificates for Craft Suplies and our local wood store Bell Forest Products for unusual wood. We have our club meeting there and get a discount on the wood. We can buy from there scrap box as well. The first time I did that they sent a bill to our house in my wife's name and she wanted to know what I was going to do with thirty dollars worth of "exotic shorts".

It looks like there were plenty of excellent presents.

Happy Turning

Marc at Teal Lake

I got a black shirt and a broken cookie. Oops, wrong forum.

Actually, got a commission for a couple of large segmented walnut bowls. Was kind of "stuck" at the time, emotionally and turning-wise, so this is exactly what I needed to get going again. Best possible "present" for me at the time. Work in progress.

It was a great Christmas at my house Turning wise. My wife got me the last knife set I needed for my OneWay coring set, a tap the same size as my lathe spindle, and a length of flexible hose to hook my last item to the dust collector. I got a MM16 bandsaw the week before Christmas. It is a well built machine.
Jack

odie

TOTW Team
It was a great Christmas at my house Turning wise. My wife got me the last knife set I needed for my OneWay coring set, a tap the same size as my lathe spindle, and a length of flexible hose to hook my last item to the dust collector. I got a MM16 bandsaw the week before Christmas. It is a well built machine.
Jack

Jack.......just curious:

What will you be using the thread cutting tap for?

ooc

The tap will be used to tap out a block of wood to screw on the lathe like a face plate. You can use these to mount different things on the lathe. In making small items for my game calls it will be handy to have these blocks ready for different steps. I will also use it to make a vacumm attachement for my lathe. They where on sale from "Heartville Tool" before Christmas for around $18.00 so it was a good time to buy one to.
Jack

odie

TOTW Team
The tap will be used to tap out a block of wood to screw on the lathe like a face plate. You can use these to mount different things on the lathe. In making small items for my game calls it will be handy to have these blocks ready for different steps. I will also use it to make a vacumm attachement for my lathe. They where on sale from "Heartville Tool" before Christmas for around $18.00 so it was a good time to buy one to.
Jack

OK, thanks.....was just wondering!

ooc

Well I was VERY lucky, I'm sure it was not because I was good.
I received A Tormek T-7 and all the Accessories for turning

WOW. am I happy

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Since I became addicted to woodturning, Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries and any kind of gift giving holiday are all about woodturning....so...

a HannesTool Cone Bone

a HannesTool 3/8 bowl gouge

a #3 Hunter Tool

several grits of 3M radial bristle discs, AND several mandrels so I don't need to take them apart when changing to the next grit

a quarter tip carving bar and several chains for chainsaw carving

several Flexcut reciprocating carving gouges

an Olive Ash platter turned by Dave Regester (of the UK)

a spalted beech bowl turned by Liam O'Neill (of the UK)

I must have been very, very, very good :D

Back