• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Scam????

from an email

Hello,
I have visited your website and i am very impressed by the collections of artwork you have on display. I will like to buy this piece:
Boxelder 7" dia Watco finish
"The Anti Chiz"
Burly boxelder 9" dia
I will like to know how much this cost and the shipping cost via DHL express to this address 199 Khalifa Bin Shakhbut St. Abu Dhabi, UAE and also if you accept mastercard as a method of payment.
Kindly get back to me asap.
Best Regards

Could be legit. I would only accept pay pal, or credit card. Checks open your accounts to too much info. And don't even think about direct wiring, unless that old swiss account is still active. :p

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
I got one like that too

I already deleted it. Same country, etc. The piece was already sold, and I told them that, and that I don't take credit cards... Have not heard anything else.
There was a name, but it was pretty American sounding.
I'm suspicious.

from an email

Hello,
I have visited your website and i am very impressed by the collections of artwork you have on display. I will like to buy this piece:
Boxelder 7" dia Watco finish
"The Anti Chiz"
Burly boxelder 9" dia
I will like to know how much this cost and the shipping cost via DHL express to this address 199 Khalifa Bin Shakhbut St. Abu Dhabi, UAE and also if you accept mastercard as a method of payment.
Kindly get back to me asap.
Best Regards

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Gleaned from a google search:

quote:

This is a SCAM!

The shipping company does not exist. Checking the address in the UK has revealed that there is no such business registered, the address postcode is wrong and the actual location is a retail market arcade.

What is probably happening is that the funds you have been sent are on a stolen credit card or one that has been set up using a stolen identity. The funds will be reclaimed eventually by the card issuer or bank when the fraud is discovered. You will have sent off your goods, the payment by Western Union will be untraceable and unrecoverable and you will be out of pocket by the value of the goods and the WU transfer, and potentially liable to prosecution for fraud yourself.

Please stop communicating with the scammers, as they will try very hard to make you pay money to them. A full report with all the emails and other evidence should be made to your bank and your local police fraud unit, as this will help you to avoid being implicated if the fraud is prosecuted.

================================

Link to the source:

http://antifraudintl.org/showthread.php?t=31079

ooc

odie

TOTW Team
Could be legit. I would only accept pay pal, or credit card. Checks open your accounts to too much info. And don't even think about direct wiring, unless that old swiss account is still active. :p

It appears that credit cards are not necessarily safe. They are subject to fraudulent use.

Paypal is probably the future for online payments. I have accepted online payments, and feel this is a safe way to go. Too bad so few people have paypal accounts, but that's changing.

I don't understand why personal checks are unsafe......could someone explain?

How about Cashier's checks and money orders? They should be safe, I would think.

ooc

odie

TOTW Team
I've read too much bad press about paypal and most of the problems have been with international transactions and the freezing of the merchant's entire account by paypal.

Unfortunately, paypal is operating as a financial institution that does not fall under any of the state or federal consumer protections of other financial institutions, nor does their impossibly lengthy contract which is designed to protect paypal, not you. Paypal is also designed to circumvent any protections you would have with a credit card used on paypal.

I, personally, am not willing to agree to paypal's terms as a buyer or seller.

Robert......

I can sympathize with your sentiment......I once felt exactly the same way.

I use ebay quite a bit to buy used merchandise from private parties, lathe tools, wood, electronics.....etc,etc,etc. I went for a long time purchasing money orders, waiting periods for personal checks to clear (for those few who would take them), purchasing cashier's checks, giving credit card numbers over the phone, and so forth. What a royal hassle!

I've been a paypal user for the better part of the last ten years, and what a troublefree experience it has been! You can instantly pay for almost any ebay item, and get immediate shipment. No checks, stamps, vehicle trips, bills, accounting,.......what a terrific convenience it is. Deductions from your checking account, debit or credit card.

Did you know Woodcraft now accepts paypal? Yep, and this is a trend we are likely to see in the future. I'd rather use paypal than a regular credit card, because there's nothing in the transaction that can be stolen and used by thieves......and no credit card bill, if you choose bank deductions. Matter of fact, it's the most secure way of transferring funds online.

I know of few contractual agreements online that aren't designed for the primary purpose of protecting the business interests of the company involved.......that's what they are for!

The only time I was disappointed with paypal is when I wanted to discuss an issue with a "real" person.......this is like pulling teeth! An issue does come up once in awhile, but you can submit comments and questions to the customer service department. They have always resolved issues to my satisfaction.

Like I said, I understand your feelings about this.......but, your comment just begs for a response from someone who (now) feels differently than you do.

I both buy and sell items on ebay.

ooc

R

Ron Sardo

Wouldn't it be fun just to say "This piece is for sale for $10,000"

If he accpects the price you know it is a scam :D

Wouldn't it be fun just to say "This piece is for sale for $10,000"

If he accpects the price you know it is a scam :D

ROFLOL

Ron a friend of mine had that very same e-mail. He told them the piece was $1,000,000 and shipping with insurance was going to be another $10,000. Never heard from them again.

It is a good thing I saw this thread; I too just got an email from "Peter Williams." I might have been more of a sucker than usual!

Me too

I just got the same message from Peter Williams asking for a few pieces. The address he gave me was in Qatar. I didn't bite. The pieces he was asking about were long gone, but I would not have considered completing a transaction without money in hand. Just sounded too fishy.

I wonder how this person is getting the information on us. He had to get to me through my website. I have an email account I reserve for use with my website and turning. My guess is he is using someone's link pages that has compiled fairly extensive links to other turners.

I don't sell online and state so on my website. I am not setup to take credit cards, but if I ever decided to sell online, I would be tempted to do so only by paypal.

The question about how they were finding us got me thinking. There is a website, Laymar crafts from UK, that lists hundreds of woodworkers with links to their websites. Check to see if you are listed.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, thanks for your comment on paypal. You really presented a good case for this service. Many thanks for your time.

Thanks, Robert.......I just made a purchase of some wood on ebay a few hours ago. The transaction went through immediately, and the "verified" recipient will be shipping right away.

I would give up this convenience, if I felt there were a substantial risk. I can't deny the possibility paypal could be hacked someday......but, I also feel it's only a remote possibility.......no more of a possibility than your bank, doctor, or whatever, could someday have their computer records stolen.

I guess there is nothing in life that is completely risk free.

ooc

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Odie

Most "hacks" to fiscal web-sites are not true "hacks", but rather social engineering.

Example. A friend of mine owns an on-line business selling "ruffs" (like Queen Elizibeth the First wore). This week she got an e-mail that her Pay-Pal account had been locked, due to possibly fraudulant activity. They wanted her to clink on the included link or call the following number and talk to a customer service rep and get the issue straightened out.

Being, careful, she checked the reverse phone-directory said it was NOT Pay-Pal's number. Then she checked (not using the included "link") and her Pay-Pal account was just fine

It was someone trolling for acount access.

TTFN
Ralph

odie

TOTW Team
Odie

Most "hacks" to fiscal web-sites are not true "hacks", but rather social engineering.

Example. A friend of mine owns an on-line business selling "ruffs" (like Queen Elizibeth the First wore). This week she got an e-mail that her Pay-Pal account had been locked, due to possibly fraudulant activity. They wanted her to clink on the included link or call the following number and talk to a customer service rep and get the issue straightened out.

Being, careful, she checked the reverse phone-directory said it was NOT Pay-Pal's number. Then she checked (not using the included "link") and her Pay-Pal account was just fine

It was someone trolling for acount access.

TTFN
Ralph

Ralph......amazing!

(Or......on second thought, maybe not!)

I got that same type of email a few years ago......but, I believe it was my ebay account, not paypal they were after. I contacted ebay customer service about it, and was informed.

The "computer hacks", and in this case, plain ol' "scam artists", will use whatever method they can to get our money!

I hope your post serves to inform a few reading this thread.......

ooc

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Not really new, whether it be from fake Paypal, fake Facebook, fake Wells Fargo, fake credit union etc.

In the case of Paypal, their rates can be lower than the credit card companies. Not using the service in fear of them being hacked means you better not use your credit cards or banks either. The credit card companies are mandating fairly high standards for security now a days, so this fear is rather unfounded. You are pretty safe, and with Paypal, all traffic is HTTPS, so it is among the more secure.

By now, most responsible institutions have gotten enough defrauded and irate customers that they've made it fairly easy to find on their actual web site how to report phishing attempts, such as these pages at PayPal and Ebay.

For those that request the recipient of a phishing attempt to forward the phish via email, the essential "trick" is knowing how to forward the phish email as an attachment that includes the original headers (the normally undisplayed "envelope within an envelope" of data that reveals where that email originated and traveled to eventually arrive at your inbox). How to "forward as an attachment" varies with the means/program used to view and respond your email, but is worth learning if you want to participate in fighting Internet scum.

Lastly, I don't know how effective they are, but one other reporting site I always cc: when sending a phish attempt to the spoofed institution is the Anti-Phishing Working Group.

A visit to the pages linked above will reveal their respective email address for reporting. If you get lots of phishing attempts, it might be worthwhile to start a list of phish reporting addresses (or use your address book).

Last edited:
Back