• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tablesaw Motor

Website
www.davidlauffenburger.com
My Jet tablesaw (3 HP Cabinet saw, left tilt) motor quit yesterday, a long story short the motor repair facility said it is toast. All of the data on the motor says that it is a Kotin motor from Taiwan but i have not been able to locate the company anywhere and the Jet site has little data other than the part # and price for a new one ($ 548 :mad:). The motor is a 3HP, 1 Phase, 230V with a 7/8" shaft; I have spent most of the day on the net looking at the Baldor, Leeson, and other sites to find a replacement and after comparing all the dimensions it looks like a Frame 145T will fit except the mounting plate hole pattern on the Jet isn't the same.

Has anyone had to replace one of these motors? If so what did you find that will fit?

Thanks for any support or assistance.
Dave

Website
www.abhats.com

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
It may be in the same situation as the Unisaw motor which has a custom bracket. I don't know about Jet, but there were a lot of companies second sourcing Unisaw motors. If you can't drill holes in the bracket of the replacement motor to mate up with its mount on the saw, then you very likely could fabricate an interface bracket from a piece of steel or even try salvaging the bracket from the old motor if it can be modified to attach to the new motor bracket without altering the form factor. The simplest solution is to bite the bullet and buy a replacement motor from Jet. It is highly unlikely that you could go directly to their motor supplier.

One of Santa's elves, just coming off night shift, told me to look at McMaster-Carr ( http://www.mcmaster.com/# ), where you can see frame standards and some better prices.

If the hole pattern is the only mis-match, it might not be 145T.

An interface plate isn't so far-fetched, either, if space permits. Back in the day, hot-rodders made and used a lot of them to marry "incompatible" engines and transmissions.

Website
Website
Good Idea

It may be in the same situation as the Unisaw motor which has a custom bracket. I don't know about Jet, but there were a lot of companies second sourcing Unisaw motors. If you can't drill holes in the bracket of the replacement motor to mate up with its mount on the saw, then you very likely could fabricate an interface bracket from a piece of steel or even try salvaging the bracket from the old motor if it can be modified to attach to the new motor bracket without altering the form factor. The simplest solution is to bite the bullet and buy a replacement motor from Jet. It is highly unlikely that you could go directly to their motor supplier.

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think i can modify the Jet plate, but i am thinking that if i find a motor with a large enough plate i may be able to drill it. My concern is that the way it is mounted in the saw i have to make sure i can move the plate approx. an inch, the jet hole pattern is about an inch closer to the pulleys than what the holes are on the 145T frame that i have found so far. I will give a machine shop a call and see it they can switch plates or make up a interface bracket.

I did find a site last night that sells the jet moter, but they want $ 490 for it. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a Jet replacement but i have found a Leeson motor with bettter specs for $ 380 so i have a hard time justifying $500 for the Jet Taiwan moter without looking for options.

Thanks again.

Dave

Website
One of Santa's elves, just coming off night shift, told me to look at McMaster-Carr ( http://www.mcmaster.com/# ), where you can see frame standards and some better prices.

If the hole pattern is the only mis-match, it might not be 145T.

An interface plate isn't so far-fetched, either, if space permits. Back in the day, hot-rodders made and used a lot of them to marry "incompatible" engines and transmissions.

Joe,

Thanks for the info. I will look at McMaster today. As for the 145T spec, i measured all of the dimensions on the Jet motor and everytning matches a 145T except the dimension from the pulley to the first mounting hole on the base, the Jet's is about an inch closer to the pulley's than the 145T spec which puts the pulleys out of alignment with the trunnion pulley belts. If i can't find a motor with a matching plate i may have to try an interface plate, i'll just need to make sure it isn't too thick or i'll have to replace the 3 belts to get them long enough.

Thanks again,
Dave

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Another idea is to buy a motor with the right form factor, but without a bracket and then get a universal mount that can be configured to what you need. Some motors have standard configuration bolt holes either on the face (the shaft end plate) or on the body for mounting. If you can find a Grainger's catalog or go to their web site, you can find lots of good stuff to help you out.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
There used to be motor rewinding shops all over the place until we got into the habit of just throwing things away. Sometimes a motor can't be rewound for various reasons. An example would be if the motor got so hot that it cooked the insulating varnish between the laminations. If that is the case, a rewound motor would still run, but the efficiency would be lower and it would be likely to run hot due to eddy currents and possibly increased coercivity of the iron. Another problem might be that the field windings were "potted" making it too difficult and expensive to clean out the old potting mess.

Jet Motor

How old is the saw? Did you buy it from a local dealer? I had a motor go out on my Jet Band Saw. The local dealer that I bought it from (5 yrs) got one on the warranty!

John

Website
Thanks again for the reply.

I have tried everything i could think of and everything you gentlemen have suggested with no luck. I contacted another motor repair/rewind facility yesterday and they are going to look at it on Monday, hopefully they can figure it out. Unfortunately, he quoted me $590 over the phone, if the motor needs a complete rewind and rebuild. If that is the case it is cheaper to replace the motor.

I'll let everyone know what the outcome is.

Thanks,
Dave

Back