• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Clapham's and Shellawax

Does anyone have experience with claphams salad bowl finish and Shellawax frictions polish? They both are non toxic when dry so which would be the better choice for finishing? Does the claphams leave a gloss shine like the shellawax?

They both seem easy enough to apply, just wipe on and buff.

Thanks for any input

claphams

Does anyone have experience with claphams salad bowl finish and Shellawax frictions polish? They both are non toxic when dry so which would be the better choice for finishing? Does the claphams leave a gloss shine like the shellawax?

They both seem easy enough to apply, just wipe on and buff.

Thanks for any input

I have used their salad bowl finish after danish oil. . It is a beeswax/min oil blend. I haven't just used it on bare wood to know about durability. I now make my own. Place in crystal lite small cup and give an ounce away with people purchasing over $50. Can't say as I see any difference with Claphams. Has a soft shine or gleeem. Haven't used the friction polish, Gretch

Shellawax is as good a friction polish as others. Like Mylands a little goes a long way and is best used on small projects like pens and bottle stoppers. The same folks who produce Shellawax also make Tiple E paste, which is good for when you are working fast and do not have time or need to sand as much as you need to.

Yes, I've used them both. The shella wax should be applied on the lathe with heat generated from friction. Liquid is for small objects, cream is for larger objects such as bowls. The Tripple e ultra shine will give an already well sanded piece that bit of extra pop. Both need to be applied with the lathe running and work best with a bit of heat generated by friction.
The Claphams can be applied on or off the lathe, and it has a duller finish than shellawax. But it's advantage is that it can be reapplied the next day or several times as needed or desired over years.

well, i went and ordered some shellawax off ebay, 30 ml bottles, and i must say that after trying it today, that was the easiest gloss finish i have ever put on anything, Made my oak goblets shine just by rubbing a bit on the piece with the lathe running, buffs right up! Gives the wood a nice feel. IMO

Back