• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wet sanding with finish as lubricant

Yesterday, my nephew who is a professional gun smith, told me about a method he uses when finishing gun stocks. He wet sands using the oil finish he is using as the lubricant instead of water and he said it fills all the pores to get a nice smooth finish. Anyone familiar or used this approach? I did a quick try of it this morning on the inside if a bowl I was working on which was a bit rough at the end grain and it made it smooth. I was using Tung Oil.

Yes, Jake, this does work well and I have done this in the past. When I do it it's usually with the final two or three grits.

Back