• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Elm

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Seldom because I never get it but it is one of my favorites. Great figure in the wood that you can exploit with the shape of your pieces. If I'm correct that's what Lyle Jamieson likes to turn however it's way to early in the morning so don't quote me on that.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Get a much as you can store!!!

Paul:

Elm is one of my favorite local woods - I try to get as much as I can stockpile. The color and figure are very pleasing, and people like the fine scale complexity of the grain patterns. The wood is easy to turn, not too hard on your tool's edges, is fairly stable, is not prone to ring shake or excessive tear-out with sharp turning tools, sands fairly easily without resin build-up, and it takes finishes (both oil and film) quite well. I always have at least 4 or 5 rough-turned pieces in elm in various stages of being finished at any time, and I have quite a few 'pre-blanks' in storage ready for mid-winter turning. I suggest you get as much as you can store easily, and/or share it or trade it for other wood species with other turners. It's a great turning wood, although you may not appreciate the "interesting" odors some species give off!

Turn safely,

Rob Wallace

could this be elm?

i have had this blank for way too long, i believe it is siberian elm but am not sure (i bought some when i was first taking classes off of ebay and it was too large for the lathe i had at the time), i have wet it it seems the grain is similar to chinaberry and oak with i guess its winter growth and summer growth

i saw the post and found (it was a hunt, and is very dry) the blank or what i think could be siberian elm

Attachments

• could be elm.JPG
    could be elm.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 54

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
We still have nice Elm here in Fla.

go for it.
I like turning Elm. There is variability in the colors and figure.
it sometimes smells a bit like a horse stall when turned.

Share some of the bounty.
the piece below 12 d 7 h was turned from a gift blank of elm from my fellow turner Rudy Lopez.

I believe the figure is due to bird pecks.
happy turning
Al

Attachments

• ElmD12H7WEB.jpg
    ElmD12H7WEB.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Elm turns great and finishes well. Pretty stable and kinda smells like a wet dog when turning.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I usually turn it outdoors because of the aforementioned reason. :D

Our club once had a program in which the demonstrator used a big piece of elm. Several folks bailed before the program was over. Our club adopted a new "rule" after that. ;)

Website
www.chakajo.com
Elm makes up the majority of the available wood in my area. However, it's not prevalent in my wood pile.

It's a great turning wood, and sands/finishes quite easily. There are a few drawbacks that take it out of my list of favorites. Maybe it's just my luck, but most that I've come across has been rather plain (Siberian Elm being the exception). I have to disagree with Rob Wallace about the ring shake because in my area it is very prone to that. Finally, it STINKS so badly that my wife won't come within several feet of me after turning it. I'd call it a mix between cat musk and horse barn.

The OP mentioned Ulmus americana, which is one of the softer elms. Not, so far as I have experience, prone to wind shake, and fairly fragrant. It's bullet-proof to dry, shines up nicely, and with its interlocked grain, can be turned fairly thin even in a user. The bark's fairly thick, so it also makes a good "natural edge" bowl.

I suppose the acid test of what species is the presence of the disease. The exotics don't seem prone to it.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
My Elm doesn't stink!

I turn a lot of elm and I have never thought of the odor as being unpleasant. Maybe a different variety? It has all the good turning characteristics mentioned above, but certainly doesn't smell like my wife's horse barn, or cat poop, or dog poop. It grows all over my property and best I can determine it's "Winged Elm".

I overheard my wife comment that I don't shower as often since I've retired, but I don't think that would prevent me from smelling the kind of odor you guys are talking about.

Back