• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

used Nova DVR XP

I am looking at a used Nova DVR XP for possible purchase. It is owned by someone who has done a fair amount of production bowl turning for his biz, but otherwise seems just covered with some finishes and some dings.

When I turn it on, I can hear some noise, but it may be normal for these lathes since the current own thinks it always sounded like that. I hear a definite rumble to the lathe. I do not recall hearing that noise on a friends DVR.

Anyone have any experience, or recommendations on what it may cost to have it reconditioned or have the bearings replaced?

Ed

I own a DVR XP. From the slowest speed to mid range it can't be heard at all, and at top speed it emits a faint hum. If the one you're looking at is making noise, I'd say there's a problem.

Stick a screwdriver blade down on the headstock close to the inboard bearing and have a listen at the plastic handle end. Or a mechanic's stethoscope is better.

Usually replacing bearings is no drama but maybe the direct drive tech would make things a little more interesting.

Take a look for Tim Geist on teknatools site, the few things I have heard about him were good. Call him and you should be able to get an idea of how much and how difficult replaceing the bearings is. Mine is the same as the others mentioned, very quiet.

Ed
I have had mine since 02, (not an XP) Lots of use, plenty dirty(dies and finishes).
Been very quiet.
Only recently aquired a little noise. Though it still runs true. Think maybe the bearings are on their way out. Was thinking about calling Tim Geist.

Don't know if Woodcraft still has them on sale, but they had a very good price on the DVR XP. Though without legs.

Jerry

You may want to remove the red plate from the side to see if anything looks like it is causing the noise.

Does it make more noise when turning a block of wood?

Mine is very quiet.

I own one also and it is extremely quiet. I have had mine now for 3 yrs but haven't used it in production mode but have used it a lot.

A few other things to check.
Is the head stock clamp screw tight? On the side of the unit.
Does the tail stock and head stock spur points line up when put next to each other? My want to see if it matters while it's running.
I have only owned one for a month now so hope this helps.

Decided to buy a new one

I decided I would be better off buying a brand new one on sale. I called Tim at the Tech Center, and he said shipping it to him would cost the difference between the used price and buying a new one.

My friend has one and as I recall, it sounded smooth and fairly quiet. No rumble.

Look forward to having it my shop.

What do you use for a stand for the DVR?

I am about to build my own stand for the DVR and make it pretty beefy from construction lumber and put a birch plywood top so I have a smooth mounting surface.

Does anyone use any of the manufactured steel/iron stands they like and would recommend?

I am about to build my own stand for the DVR and make it pretty beefy from construction lumber and put a birch plywood top so I have a smooth mounting surface.

Does anyone use any of the manufactured steel/iron stands they like and would recommend?

If you're going to build a flat topped bench, be sure to leave room for riser blocks. The bed of the DVR is designed to sit flat on the bench with no provision for clearing chips from between the ways, short of vacuuming. When setting the height of your bench, I'd suggest leaving about three inches in height to allow blocks under the fastening points so you can brush or blow out chips from between the ways.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
If you're going to build a flat topped bench, be sure to leave room for riser blocks. The bed of the DVR is designed to sit flat on the bench with no provision for clearing chips from between the ways, short of vacuuming. When setting the height of your bench, I'd suggest leaving about three inches in height to allow blocks under the fastening points so you can brush or blow out chips from between the ways.

I did mine at 1-1/2 and find that it's not really enough:eek:

Back