• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

NC Woodturning Symposium/Betty Scarpino

It was great to see Betty Scarpino taking in the NC Woodturning Symposium this past weekend in Greensboro.

Betty came up to me and introduced herself and I fear I made a fool of myself stuttering and sputtering in response.

I was very pleased to meet you Betty and I fear I was a bit star struck when you spoke to me so take that into consideration when looking back on the idiot you met in Greensboro....:eek:

It was a great symposium with some fabulous turners including Allan and Stuart Batty, Ray Key, Jimmy Clewes, Stuart Mortimer, John Jordan and many more. My only regret was that I could not attend all the demos. There was so much to learn.

i know exactly what you mean Mike, it truely was a great symposium, i did not miss a rotation and still could not see everything i wanted to see

Saturday night Bill Piastuch and i were joined by Tom from W Va, i am not sure of the spelling but a real nice couple from Memphis uh i believe Nashville...the Greg and Yvetta Godwin oh and Betty Scarpino and Jean LeGwin somebody who i have seen somewhere or picture of .... and lets see Mark Gardner who i had been demo assistant in Richmond and John Jordan and a dark haired mystery women Sharon Barrett
i was a little tounge tied

thanks for the id help and spelling corrections

it was my first chance to see some of the English turners, i wish i could have seen them all

one of the most interesting rotation i saw was Lan Brady, you probably would not want to play poker with him at the table or his grandfather :D

Last edited:
NC Symposium

There is a good chance that if you saw Betty, and someone named Jean, that it was probably Jean LeGwin, the Chairperson (Chairwoman?) of the Publications Program, who oversees the publication of the Journal. Betty is a very warm and pleasant person, and if she has the time, will sit down and have lunch with you and talk about the Journal and the AAW as well as turning (a little gloat for me here because she did all that for me recently).

Betty and Jean

We discussed the Journal with Jean at Unicoi and both of them at Greensboro. They are both very interested in addressing the concerns of AAW members about the Journal: too much art, not enough art, too basic, too advanced, etc. We have already seen changes. They really are concerned about needed changes. If you contact them peacefully, they will listen!

Bill and Nettie in WNC mountains

Greensboro Symposium

It was great to see Betty Scarpino taking in the NC Woodturning Symposium this past weekend in Greensboro.

Betty came up to me and introduced herself and I fear I made a fool of myself stuttering and sputtering in response.

I was very pleased to meet you Betty and I fear I was a bit star struck when you spoke to me so take that into consideration when looking back on the idiot you met in Greensboro....:eek:

It was a great symposium with some fabulous turners including Allan and Stuart Batty, Ray Key, Jimmy Clewes, Stuart Mortimer, John Jordan and many more. My only regret was that I could not attend all the demos. There was so much to learn.

Mike,
I'm always a bit surprised when anyone is nervous around me, but even so, you didn't seem like you were. I enjoyed your demonstration!

I also enjoyed the symposium. It's rare that I get a chance to sit through other turners' demonstrations to the extent that I did at this conference. I appreciate being invited and was glad to get a chance to talk about the journal with so many other other attendees.

And next time our paths cross, Mike, think about this: two days after returning home, this "famous" person was cleaning her own toilet! Or maybe a more pleasant picture would be for you to know that I still bake muffins for my sons who are away at college and mail them priority mail. I am, at heart, a mom. I just happen to do some woodturning and edit a journal.

I appreciate all the hard work that went into making the conference the success that it was! --Betty

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Betty makes me sputter and stutter sometimes, too.:D

Charlie, the couple were Greg and Yvetta Godwin, and they live near Nashville. I didn't know the woman sitting next to Jean Legwin, and don't recall her name. Mark Gardner's wife, Nancy, sat with us after we ate.

Pretty good food for a banquet.

John

Website
www.abhats.com
My wife and I were there also, and it truly was a great symposium. Well worth the cost, the hotels were very reasonable, and there's lots to see in the Greensboro area if you want to look around. We're going back in two years for certain!

thanks John, i probably needed to take notes but i probably would not have been able to read them afterwards anyway

the north carolina clubs did a good job of putting everything together, and the demostrator's handbook is well worth the cost

have you known Nancy long????

Mystery Woman

Betty makes me sputter and stutter sometimes, too.:D

Charlie, the couple were Greg and Yvetta Godwin, and they live near Nashville. I didn't know the woman sitting next to Jean Legwin, and don't recall her name. Mark Gardner's wife, Nancy, sat with us after we ate.

Pretty good food for a banquet.

John

The mystery woman's name is Sharon Barrett. She lives in North Carolina. Her work can be seen at www.nicefigures.com. I had not met her before -- one of the many great things about mini symposiums is the opportunity to meet and talk with folks who otherwise might not attend the national symposium.

And yes, John, the food was very good for banquet fare!

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Betty, I agree that the regional shows do allow more personal contact. The National Symposium is wonderful but it's sort of a whirlwind of people and activity. I come home with brain drain!

The guys in NC did a great job of putting together a fine symposium. I will definitely reserve a booth at the next and the next and........ :)

Ruth

Sharon Barrett, thanks Betty, the web site shows location on the coast, looks like a good place for a visit, we like the coast in the fall :D

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
thanks John, i probably needed to take notes but i probably would not have been able to read them afterwards anyway

the north carolina clubs did a good job of putting everything together, and the demostrator's handbook is well worth the cost

Yes, Mark's one of my best friends. I've known her as long as Mark, probably.

John

Did anyone sit thru Stuart Mortimer's demo's? he was at the NC one and the Ohio one.

He had called me and asked if I would be coming to either but I had to explain that the drive for me would be too much

So if any of you went - how did it go?

Robert

Originally Posted by charlie knighton

Yes, Mark's one of my best friends. I've known her as long as Mark, probably.

John

Mark and Nancy Gardner are truely blessed

Last edited:
Website
www.machineartist.com
Saint Hyacinthe 14th November

I am fortunate enough Living in Montreal Canada to be able to attend the demonstration Betty is giving at the A T B Q.
I would be honoured to be able to exchange a few words after the demo.
I saw you in Richmond so have your signature in the 'New Masters of Woodturning' book.
Take care best regards from Jeff.

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Stuart did fine.

Did anyone sit thru Stuart Mortimer's demo's? he was at the NC one and the Ohio one.

He had called me and asked if I would be coming to either but I had to explain that the drive for me would be too much

So if any of you went - how did it go?

Robert

I saw one of his demo's and he did his usual fine job. Don Riggs went to a different session and Don was amazed at how he uses a grinder with a cut-off tool with one hand and rotates the lathe with the other. I think Stuart's donation piece to the auction brought $1600, which was highest for the auction.

Any day I can see Alan Batty, his son Stuart, and Stuart Mortimer all do a demo is a great day.

Respect the bandsaw,

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
I am fortunate enough Living in Montreal Canada to be able to attend the demonstration Betty is giving at the A T B Q.
I saw you in Richmond so have your signature in the 'New Masters of Woodturning' book.
When is Betty's demo? I will be in Montreal next Thursday and Friday.

John

Website
www.machineartist.com
For John 14th Nov

Hi Johm
Its the Sat 14th St Hyacinthe is about an hour from Here.
I am at your demo on next thursday to at Eddie Noels place that is only 15 minutes from Me.
So look forward to seeing you there.
How long are you up here for?
Best regards from Jeff

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
Hi Johm
Its the Sat 14th St Hyacinthe is about an hour from Here.
I am at your demo on next thursday to at Eddie Noels place that is only 15 minutes from Me.
So look forward to seeing you there.
How long are you up here for?
Best regards from Jeff

Jeff, I'll be there just Thursday and Friday. I have to be in Ottawa on Saturday. I'll look forward to seeing you.

I was going to give you a ride, Betty, but that means you would be there a week early. :)

John

Jeff, I'll be glad to chat. See you in two weeks.

John, I'm flying . . . it's a long trip for just a weekend, but would have been fun to share a ride. I'd heard that you were going to be there just before me . . . perhaps you're the warm-up act? :D

Back