• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

finish for maple

I'm looking for a finish for a maple bowl that will not yellow the crisp white I have now. Any suggestions? Thanks.

a clear paste wax

I just finished an ambrosia maple bowl. I put shellawax on it while it was on the lathe and then finished with renisance (sp) wax. It did not discolor the wood at all.

Martha

To some degree all finishes add color or tone to the wood. The product that adds the least is water based lacquer.

Last edited:
maple finish

Those are all good suggestions for clearest possible finish. A key factor is the bowl use. If strictly in the gallery, anything is fine. I want three things with maple: 1) highlight the figure, curly grain, etc. 2) give natural look and feel and 3) if bowl will be used, give a more durable finish certainly than Krylon. I follow what Jimmy Clewes does--apply a light (underscore light) coat of sanding sealer like Zinsser product with alcohol/shellac base usually on the lathe. It does bring out the grain but adds much less color than applying an oil or varnish directly. Then follow with a salad bowl finish like General Finishes if that is the use. Some tung oil formulations are lighter than others and give a very good finish on top of the sanding sealer with much less darkening but good grain highlighting. The exterior water based poly contains a top UV filter I have used very successfully on box elder to preserve the color and give no darkening but not for bowls seriously used or where the grain needs to be highlighted.

Try some nitrocellulose sanding sealer that has had the sterates settled out and then buff with carnuba wax. Or bleach the wood and then finish.

Aaron

Using Deft lacquer

I've done a number of pieces of very light ambrosia maple. In order to retain the contrast between the ambrosia gray/green stains, and keep the maple as light as possible I've used Deft lacquer. I first apply a heavy coat of Deft mixed 50/50 with lacquer thinner. After covering the piece rapidly, I then wipe off all the excess finish and allow it to dry overnight. This acts as a sealer. From there I build up at least 3 or 4 coats of spray semi-gloss Deft.
Dale

Back