• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

TeachingWoodturning

I am a High School Shop Teacher and I am going to do a presentation at the Illinois Technology Education Association conference. Does anyone have anything that they may want to pass on regarding the value of woodturning in schools? I have found that my students that may have been ignoring/not participating in the class and lessons suddenly became very active when i introduced woodturning. I went from one woodlathe to eight with students waiting in line for their turn. I feel that this alone warrants more attention from teachers who may not use this in the class room. Anything that gets s kid excited is worth teaching.........

Lyndal

Good for you

Hey Lyndal, sounds like you have a good thing going in you shop class. Your question reminds me of something discussed on another forum or maybe even here. There used to be a woodturning merit badge for Boy Scouts. It was a fairly involved process to complete the requirements. It included everything from the tree to the finished piece. As an educator, can you develop a program that exposes the students to all the varied aspects of woodturning ? I'm thinking of things like forestry, economics, history, design, drawing, machinery, tooling, wood structure and properties, etc, etc. There are so many aspects to this that could be used as lessons. Everthing from math to science to creative writing and art. As I'm sure you know, a big draw for the kids is the instant gratification that turning allows, but it can be used as a platform for so much more. It's also a way to get them involved in hands-on activities that don't necessarily involve computers, but it can if you want it to. Think of things like Sketch-Up, Auto-Cad, etc.

As you can probaly tell, I am a big proponent of multi-faceted educational programs that tie many areas together for a broad spectrum learning environment. Who knows-you may have the next turner to revolutionize woodturning in your class right now.

Best of luck and keep up the good work,

Don

Lyndal,
I've taught High Schools Shop for 26 years now. I started using woodturning 4 years ago as a way to motivate my students to study harder on their classroom part of the course. A lot of my students just didn't care about thier grades. It worked wonderfully. My students will do anything I ask of them, so that they can get more time on the lathe. My end of grade test scores improved a great deal during this time. Wood turning has helped myself and my students. We went from 2 old rockwell lathes to 5 lathes over the last 3 years. I hope to put two more lathes in my shop this year that are small enough to take around to other schools in our county. Woodturning in my High School Shop classes has been one of the most postive motivational tools that I've experienced in my years teaching.
Jack Mincey

woodworking in school

I came from a small community school that had only industrial arts and home ec. to satisfy a students creative abilities. I took all the academic courses since I knew I was going to college but did get to slip in industrial arts . I was interest in art but they didn't offer that course.
I now have a masters degree in art but find myself spending all of my time turning. I just couldn't get enough woodworking in high school. I fell in love with it and 45years later find myself still engulfed in woods.
A creative student needs to develop that talent somewhere and your course is perfect for that.
Schools lately have cut out the arts for the dsake of saving money for academics but they fail to realize what creativity contributes to the minds of students. All of your so called world shapers were creative and found their avenues of expression somewhere in the arts.
The creative arts should be the last thing that should be cut from schools.

Being an art teacher for 34 years, I appreciated the smarter kid that walked into my classroom asking for an opportunity to develop his or her interest in expression.

Thanks for the input.

I have gone from one lathe to eight in one year. My students just can't get enough of turning. I was told by a college Industrial Technology professor that they don't teach woodturning there because woodturning is considered a dinosaur........... Too bad for those students.

I use the turning as bait to get my students to pay attention to all of the other woodworking related lectures that are rather boring. It works!

Lyndal

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Mark St Leger

Lyndal,

I strongly suggest that you get in touch with Mark St Leger, who is a shop teacher in Craig County, Virginia, and a nationally known turner. He has to sell his program to the administrations, which keep changing, and the parental and student support is impressive. I know that he does a super job because I have substituted for him while he was taking mandated OSHA training and I saw clear evidence of his effectiveness. :)

He has a website and he lives in Pearisburg, VA. http://www.markstleger.com/

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Hello Lyndal!

For the past several years I have been doing an "annual" woodturning demonstration for the woodworking classes at our High School, and it has grown in popularity to the extent that students are given passes from their regular classes on that day to come and watch my demonstration (typically on bowl turning, basics of tool use, and design elements). As with your experience, woodturning is very popular at our high school - nearly all students taking wood shop classes at least try their hand at it (so I'm told), and some have made award-winning pieces submitted to our regional industrial arts student conference. There are waiting lists for students to get their time at the lathe here too!!

Several points to stress at your conference are that woodturning provides for intellectual development by enabling students to express individual creativity in a dynamic fashion in real time. Unlike flat-work, where plans often prescribe dimensions, joinery, and anticipated outcomes of the project, which are usually known in advance of beginning the work (this is also seen in segmented turning) requiring "following directions"; many woodturning projects develop "on the fly", depending on the characteristics of the blank being used. This makes it necessary for students to make critical decisions at various time points before proceeding - to evaluate the status quo and move ahead, and bring the project to completion. These are somewhat different mental processes - both should be encouraged and developed

Woodturning develops students' abilities for three-dimensional interpretation of the developing form, and furthers their understanding of geometric shapes, technical aspects of tool presentation and methods of use, and improves hand-eye coordination on a fine scale. Further, it provides for individual creativity more than any other version of woodworking (i.e. building typical shop 'flatwork' projects, scroll sawing, etc.) through simple manipulation of curves, proportions, shape of rim, foot, etc. - all within easy control of the turner.

For students with shorter attention spans, ADD, etc. doing woodturning projects on the lathe provides for more-or-less "immediate gratification", in that the time from start to finish of a turning project (e.g. a small, simple bowl) can be done within one class period, and that the results seen by the student can be realized quickly (the same can not be said of projects requiring joinery, glue-ups, and sanding/finishing, etc.). This is important for those students who lack the ability to wait for and anticipate the completion of a more complex project requiring multiple pieces, joinery, etc. Also, the fundamental methods skill sets between flatwork and turning are quite distinct from one another.

Although I am a botanist/biologist teaching at the University level, I have been around education all my life (my father taught high school science throughout his career, my sister is a middle school science teacher, my father-in-law was a high school German teacher, etc.). I think some of the educational benefits of turning go beyond just working with wood, and include several skill sets that should be developed in primary and secondary schools. Unfortunately these opportunities are diminishing as hands-on programs such as wood shop and metal shop continue to go extinct in more and more school systems. I applaud your efforts in keeping this alive in your school system.

I hope this is the kind of information you were looking for (not quite using "education-speak" terminology, but close!).

Rob Wallace
(Assoc. Professor of Botany, Iowa State University)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Anything that gets kids excited about school is a good thing.

Shop classes in general are a great way to develop basic problem solving skills. How to get from raw materials to finished project involve solving lots of little problems in some order. basic math skills become important.

Spread the word.

Unfortunately most public school districts have eliminated shop classes of all types. Too much floor space for too few kids, expense of materials, and to some extent liability issues.

regards,
Al

Anything that gets kids excited about school is a good thing.

Shop classes in general are a great way to develop basic problem solving skills. How to get from raw materials to finished project involve solving lots of little problems in some order. basic math skills become important.

Spread the word.

Unfortunately most public school districts have eliminated shop classes of all types. Too much floor space for too few kids, expense of materials, and to some extent liability issues.

Of course, time was the teachers' love of knowledge would infect the kids, who were encouraged at home and in BOOKS (remember them?) to believe that the key to the future was education. A foolish approach. What we really need is to encourage them to be creative without fundamental knowledge, as if want could overcome wood.

Industrial arts is one of the places where reality still rules, and success comes from knowing and complying with the limits of material, means, and mentality. That said, it is a great tool for teaching things neglected elsewhere, like fractions, demonstrating things like how the wind blows by showing how a shaving curls or mechanics by showing how your butt must go basically down if you want to sit in even a "creative" chair....

One of the great realities is the reason the programs are being phased out. The reality that a large portion of our current crop of kids cannot or will not observe the rules. Not just the ones that say don't fence with bowl gouges, but the ones that say don't turn on the lathe when some unsuspecting person is in the throw zone. Span of control is critical, and class size, even when there are a few kids who are willing to help keep the others in line and the machines in tune, it's still a dangerous business. Since teaching school is more a business than a calling, expect things to be that way.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Some nice youth turning resources on this site...

The Young Turners program is described on the following page:
http://www.woodturner.org/community/youth/

Also if you are an AAW member log in http://woodturner.org/member/MemberLogOn.asp and look at this new and very well done booklet by experienced youth turning instructors, available for download. It is also available for purchase from the AAW:
Article: Teaching Woodturning Basics

Article Name:
Teaching Woodturning Basics
Author Name:
Phil Brennion, Kip Christensen, Bonnie Klein, Alan Lacer & Michael Mocho
Date Published:
07/06/2009
Volume/Issue:
Synopsis:
This instructional guide was written for AAW members who have intermediate or advanced experience in turning and who are interested in sharing their enthusiasm for turning, but who may not be particularly experienced in teaching.
Keywords:
training teaching guide woodturning
Related Articles:

Last edited:
Website
www.thewoodworkersnetwork.com
Industrial arts is one of the places where reality still rules, and success comes from knowing and complying with the limits of material, means, and mentality. That said, it is a great tool for teaching things neglected elsewhere, like fractions, demonstrating things like how the wind blows by showing how a shaving curls or mechanics by showing how your butt must go basically down if you want to sit in even a "creative" chair....

MM I totally agree with what you are saying. I believe that turning is unique in what it offers the student. I have been turning for 60 years as a professional for 30 years and every time I put steel to spinning wood I feel something magic is happening. It is of utmost importance to have someone guiding the student that "understands"the turning craft. Like many things that are worth learning there are fundamental rules that need to be learned before one starts experimenting. Turning as part of an IA class offers a special experience to the student. I believe everyone on this forum knows of what I speak.

I volunteer and teach at some of the local schools that still have wood programs :/ I just don't have time to do it full time I still need to make a living even though I have had several job offers. let me tell you my approach.

I normally get the school to buy mini lathes this is a minimum investment and I think a little less dangers and less intimidating to get kids started.

I am a big fan of Pens and tops basically something they can knock out in a class or two and carry around and show there friends. Pens are also easy to very hard depending on the quality they want. Soon after everyone wants to make one and I have kids after school not in the class wanting to try.

After they play with the mini lathe for a while I teach them the bigger lathe and chucks etc. The important thing is get them making something fast that they can show off to friends, parents etc.

Website
www.thewoodworkersnetwork.com
Great Idea

[Q
I am a big fan of Pens and tops basically something they can knock out in a class or two and carry around and show there friends. Pens are also easy to very hard depending on the quality they want. Soon after everyone wants to make one and I have kids after school not in the class wanting to try.
[/QUOTE]

You have a great idea! I would hope that others latch on to your program. You can certainly teach the basics while holding their attention. Maybe some clubs could take up the idea and do it as a club project. With mini lathes you wouldn't really need to have a shop--could be set up in any room. I once taught a semester of woodworking in an elementary school. Had some clamps a Bosch jig saw and plenty of sandpaper. It was a great experience I will never forget. Had great feed back from kids and parents.

Pens are such a terrific idea! We really need to teach our kids what the brain and hands can do together.

Teaching

Hi Lyndal, I also teach woodturning in a high school. My school is for adjudicated young boys, grade 9-12. My kids have experienced nothing posistive in school, only failure and being left behind. Woodturning turns the toughest kids their first positive experience in school. It becomes a motivating factor in building self esteem and success in not only woodturning but quickly leads to participation in other academic areas. Their attitude changes regarding the ability to learn and success soon follows. Woodturning is recognized as a very important element in the development of our students. As such, funding for this program is fully funded each year.

Back