• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Fall American Woodturner

The Fall issue of the American Woodturner Journal is in the mail. Dial in here for a view of the cover art and content index.

09_fall_s.jpg

Website
www.velvitoil.com
I can't believe it. This post has been viewed 75 times and not one moan and groan post about the store getting the magazine first, the cover being torn, the postman reading it first, the magazine not arriving, etc, etc.

Could we be growing up?:D

I hope it's better than the last issue. My copy was printed upside down, and all the pages were in reverse order. :rolleyes: :p

I'll be the first in this thread to say I really liked the last issue, and I'm looking forward to seeing the next. Kudos to all involved.

Do they all go out at once, or in batches over some number of days or weeks? :confused:

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
Dave,

Helga lived in Nashville at the time. I was making furniture and enjoyed seeing some of the turning that was being done in the mid 80's. I met Helga, and she was already pretty accomplished and really got my interest up. I doubt that a typical home shop turner would have gotten my interest in the same way.

We became friends and were part of a small handful of us the started the TN association of Woodturners the same year that AAW formed. I haven't talked to her in a long time, though I did visit with her at her home in Washington state a few years ago.

John

I really like the green background-colors do work to draw attention and complement the work. I'm a little biased since Helga Winter was instrumental in me becoming a woodturner.:)

John

John, I agree, the conver is striking. I'll just bet a lunch that the green is done with software however as there is no green reflection on the beautiful turnings as there would be if an actual green background were used.
And, I say "Kudos to Helga."

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Dave,

Helga lived in Nashville at the time. I was making furniture and enjoyed seeing some of the turning that was being done in the mid 80's. I met Helga, and she was already pretty accomplished and really got my interest up. I doubt that a typical home shop turner would have gotten my interest in the same way.

We became friends and were part of a small handful of us the started the TN association of Woodturners the same year that AAW formed. I haven't talked to her in a long time, though I did visit with her at her home in Washington state a few years ago.

John

Thanks John,

I had no idea that Helga lived in Nashville. I have been a big fan of her work for a long time. Thanks for the details. I am also very happy that you met Helga too, as it was your three day class that started me down this path that I am on. It seems that is is good to pay it forward.

Dave

cover color

I'll just bet a lunch that the green is done with software however as there is no green reflection on the beautiful turnings as there would be if an actual green background were used.

Yes, the green on the cover was done by computer software by Sharon from the layout/design team at Albarella Design. (So do I owe you a lunch?) The two bowls were paired together from separate images and I believe the original background used by Helga's photographer was light gray.

In the early 90s, Helga's work was also on the cover of AW. It was a photo of just her hands and the goblet she was turning (as I recall). Back then, the journal was in black & white.

I've also been a fan of Helga's for many years. She's a lovely person in every way imaginable. BTW, Christian Burchard acknowledges that Helga was turning madrone way before he began doing so. --Betty

(So do I owe you a lunch?)

Awwww, come on Betty. You already know my answer to that one. :)

I look just like my avitar. Still want to be seen with me at lunch? :D

Keep up the good work kid. You're looking great!!

Current Cover

I look just like my avitar. Still want to be seen with me at lunch? :D

Keep up the good work kid. You're looking great!![/QUOTE]

Well, as long as it's a busy public place, sure . . . . I'll wear sunglasses :cool2:

Kid?! I'll turn 60 later this month. Okay, everything's relative, I know, I know.

I sincerely appreciate this thread of positive comments about the journal. Really good authors are stepping forward with excellent articles (and I thank every one of them!). I'm pleased to have a backlog, so heading into next year when the journal will be published six times (thanks to Jean LeGwin's efforts and the Board's yes vote), there should be plenty of interesting reading. I doubt, though, that any cover will surpass the current one. Even so, we'll try. --Betty

2009 issues???

Hi Ed,
I recently joined AAW and, was under the assumption that I would receive the issues from 2009 from January thru present. I guess that this would be 3 issues as, my membership is for the full calendar year 2009.
Please let me know if this is correct.
Tks,
J

mandjturnings@ive.com

or

jay.coulson@perdue.com

Back