• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

software for price cards?

This thread was inspired by the previous thread. I would like to print the individual cards with prices for each item, description, and wood species. Software for business cards, etc., print the same thing on each card. I would like to be able to type up a whole sheet of separate cards and then print them. Does anyone know of software that would do that?

You can do it with Microsoft Publisher, usually a standard part of the Windows XP software.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Well, I would be hesitant to buy a piece of software this is just a one-trick pony since there are a vast number of programs that can do what you want and it is likely that you already have programs that can do the job. The simplest solution is with Microsoft Office. You can use the mail merge function in Word and link to a *.csv file created in Excel for the data source. There are built-in templates using standard forms such as Avery business card forms and name tag forms that will automatically handle the page layout. I have used this method for our club when we needed cards for displays such a at public libraries.

I am sure that other office suites have comparable capabilities to what is available in Microsoft Office.

You can get fancier with complex graphical layouts by using Adobe InDesign (or PageMaker) along with Adobe Photoshop to create the design and, once again, link to a *.csv data file to automatically fill in the specific information for each card. I use InDesign and Photoshop to create membership cards and badges for our club members. There are also lower cost programs that are comparable to the Adobe software applications, but with fewer bells and whistles.

Last edited:
Website
www.velvitoil.com
You can do it with Microsoft Publisher, usually a standard part of the Windows XP software.

Publisher will indeed work fine, but it's not a standard part of Windows XP. If it came on your XP machine, it's because the OEM included it as part of your software package. It's not bundled with the operating system by Microsoft. ;)

You can get fancier with complex graphical layouts by using Adobe InDesign (or PageMaker) along with Adobe Photoshop to create the design and, once again, link to a *.csv data file to automatically fill in the specific information for each card. I use InDesign and Photoshop to create membership cards and badges for our club members. There are also lower cost programs that are comparable to the Adobe software applications, but with fewer bells and whistles.

Pagemaker? How old are we? It's still what I use, and will continue to use as my publisher, unsupported or not. It does what it's told, not like the Msoft Office products which think they're smarter than the operator. If I need a device to sass me I'll try to wash my hands at Wal-Mart.

Key is to build your template properly in whatever software. Most word processing programs have business card templates included, and the folks who make the cards,like Avery, have some as well. The perforated cards are the way to go, even if you do own a paper cutter, but they are sensitive to slight paper misalignment in your printer, so don't crowd the margins of the card(s) with your text or borders. Remember to group the constant material so it will remain if you manually change pictures, prices, fonts or whatever on the specific piece. Move it to the background, too. Otherwise you will teach new words to your macaw as you work your cards.

Bill, is Pagemaker going to work in Vista or 7? It has been very good in XP, though there were a number of concerns when XP first came out.

If your are on a Mac

I also used the Avery Wizard when I was on a Windows computer... I have since moved to a Mac and last time I checked, there was no Mac version... too bad because it is a good "Free" product.

On the Mac I am using Pages, part of their Iwork suite and it is quite good... does everything I need.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
I have also used Avery Wizard - They have (....at least they used to - I haven't looked for a while) pre-sized, small, foldable "tent" cards used for identifying table settings for weddings, meetings, and the like. Worked well to identify turnings and other items displayed at our woodworking show.

Rob Wallace

Thanks everyone. Like Joe, I am now on a Mac, so I will have to explore pages to see if I can make it work. If I can, it will be a great improvement over my penmanship!
UPDATE: I looked at Mac Pages, and I was able to make it do what I wanted. Another problem solved thanks to AAW forums.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Pagemaker? How old are we? ...

Bill, is Pagemaker going to work in Vista or 7? It has been very good in XP, though there were a number of concerns when XP first came out.

I don't know how old "we" are, but I am still a young pup just barely retired ... for the last six years.

Believe it or not, Adobe was still selling Pagemaker the last time I checked a few months ago (the education version -- same as regular version, but with fewer swatches, fonts, etc.) -- the price was cheap and unsupported. It should run fine on Vista in 32-bit mode. I used it for several years on an XP machine until the print service provider said that they were about to stop taking *.pmd files. I think that they still are because they don't want to risk losing a buck. It is interesting that InDesign does not have some of the layout capabilities of PageMaker and in some other cases it is easier doing things in PageMaker. However, one of the big drawbacks of PageMaker is the huge size of *.pmd files compared to *.indd files. Also, InDesign creates PDF files almost instantly without all of the cumbersome slow process in PageMaker/Acrobat/Distiller.

This thread was inspired by the previous thread. I would like to print the individual cards with prices for each item, description, and wood species. Software for business cards, etc., print the same thing on each card. I would like to be able to type up a whole sheet of separate cards and then print them. Does anyone know of software that would do that?

Michael,

To solve my price display problem in the thread you referenced I purchased some Avery Small Tent cards. Avery has free software to print on their products. I downloaded it today and it allows you to build a database with your product data so you can print a card for each item. Go to www.avery.com/designpro to get the free software.

Dolan

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
This is another method I have tried. I make them business card size. The front is a hand stamp I had made with my logo. The cards are business card size so you can use any business card software. I simply fold them, punch holes, and then stamp them.
I can fold them without the holes and place them by the pieces or I thread ribbon or string though the holes and tie them to thing like Christmas ornaments.

Attachments

• Artwork-tag.jpg
    Artwork-tag.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 36
Back