• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

finding Norm Abram

Greetings,
I'm new to this forum stuff, so here goes.
Although he isn't a turner, does anyone have contact details for Norm Abram from New Yankee Workshop. Seems he's as bulletproof as his glassses -any avenue I try leads to a dead end.
Andrew

Hi Andrew. Welcome to the forum. Norm asked me not to give out his email address. Just kidding. I have no idea re. your question. Maybe try to contact through the pbs.org website?

A sign of celebrity, trying to avoid undesired attention.

Anyone else notice the tremor in his hands the last couple of seasons? And now the repeats. Sort of worrisome.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Wood magazine just did an excellent article on Norm. They didn't mention how to get in touch with him however.

Andrew, here's a snail mail address:

Norm Abram
New Yankee Workshop
P.O. Box 161
Lexington, MA 02420
USA

Here's a fan mail form:
http://www.newyankee.com/fanmail/mail_submit.php

New Yankee Workshop is coproduced by Morash Associates, Inc. and WGBH Boston - they may be able to forward an email.

These guys claim to have contact details but you'll be up for $1 for a trial sub.: http://www.contactanycelebrity.com/trial/do/celebrityView?name=Norm-Abram&id=24

(results selected from Google, searching on "Norm Abram" + contact )

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
One of the things I do, just for fun, is playing "track them down".

Using stuff available (for free) I've found the location for the New Yankee Workshop (and mapped it on Google). They don't make it easy as they DON'T want the public showing up, since it's a residential neighborhood.

I've tracked Norm down, along with some other publicity shy "celebritiesâ€.

I also tracked down the physical address of a “charity†that tends to be very publicity shy (I will not even name it here, but there are reasons). For mail their address is a PO box in a different town, and the phones are even re-routed from a different town, but they left one stone un-hidden….

But one thing I never do, is tell anyone what I found, nor how to contact these people, I figure if they want their privacy, they can keep it.

It's very, interesting how many stones there are pointing people to info we all might not want everyone knowing.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
One of our former students had decided he wanted to be a private eye. He had all sorts of computer stuff laying around. He decided to do a search for me and I was amazed at all the info he found in less than 30 minutes. Your life isn't private anymore, even if you don't do anything on the net. We decided to see what we could find on my friend who is not a computer person, doesn't do cell phones and doesn't even have cable. We still found out a lot of info. This was 10 years ago. I would imagine today would be worse.

R

Ron Sardo

I'm not Norm Abram, but I have a bunch of plaid shirts. Does that count?

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I spent a little time this weekend, re-doing my old "search" for personal contact info for Norm

Looks like he hired one of the firms that specializes in cleaning up such info. Many of the "old reliable" places that people leave tracks, no longer contain any trace.

This is not a big surprise, it's not really tough to research such contact info, and more and more personalities are want wanting their (well deserved) personal privacy.

Along that line, SWMBO spotted an actress that appears in one of her favorite shows, walking into the building SMWBO works in. SWMBO was not surprised, as that actress lives in that town. But since the actress was on a personal errand, with her young daughter, SWMBO merely smiled and nodded to the actress, who looked much relieved that she was not going to be pestered by a fan(attic), while out with her daughter.

One of the things I do, just for fun, is playing "track them down".

Using stuff available (for free) I've found the location for the New Yankee Workshop (and mapped it on Google). They don't make it easy as they DON'T want the public showing up, since it's a residential neighborhood.

I've tracked Norm down, along with some other publicity shy "celebritiesâ€.

I also tracked down the physical address of a “charity†that tends to be very publicity shy (I will not even name it here, but there are reasons). For mail their address is a PO box in a different town, and the phones are even re-routed from a different town, but they left one stone un-hidden….

But one thing I never do, is tell anyone what I found, nor how to contact these people, I figure if they want their privacy, they can keep it.

It's very, interesting how many stones there are pointing people to info we all might not want everyone knowing.

WHY EVEN POST IF ALL YOU WANTED TO DO WAS SAY "NOTHING"? YOU TRACKED ALL THESE PEOPLE DOWN BUT WON'T SAY WHO THEY ARE OR WHAT THEIR ADDRESS IS, SOUNDS LIKE A LOAD OF BS. IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE WHAT THE PERSON ASKED WHY WASTE PEOPLE'S TIME? ARE YOU THINKING PEOPLE WILL BE IMPRESSED WITH WHAT YOU "SAY" YOU ACCOMPLISHED YET WON'T OR CAN'T PROVE?? IT ALSO SOUNDS LIKE AN AWFUL WASTE OF TIME TO TRACK PEOPLE DOWN THAT YOU DON'T EVEN WANT TO CONTACT OR TELL ANYONE ELSE HOW TO CONTACT THEM. I WISH I HAD NOT WASTED THIS LITTLE TIME OUT OF MY LIFE READING YOUR BOASTING AND THEN WASTING MORE TIME TO RESPOND TO IT. IN THE FUTURE IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER, TRY NOT TO WASTE PEOPLE'S TIME ON FOOLISHNESS, OKAY?

Easy there, Turbo. You might consider cutting back on the coffee just a tad. :cool2:

WHY EVEN POST IF ALL YOU WANTED TO DO WAS SAY "NOTHING"? YOU TRACKED ALL THESE PEOPLE DOWN BUT WON'T SAY WHO THEY ARE OR WHAT THEIR ADDRESS IS, SOUNDS LIKE A LOAD OF BS. IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE WHAT THE PERSON ASKED WHY WASTE PEOPLE'S TIME? ARE YOU THINKING PEOPLE WILL BE IMPRESSED WITH WHAT YOU "SAY" YOU ACCOMPLISHED YET WON'T OR CAN'T PROVE?? IT ALSO SOUNDS LIKE AN AWFUL WASTE OF TIME TO TRACK PEOPLE DOWN THAT YOU DON'T EVEN WANT TO CONTACT OR TELL ANYONE ELSE HOW TO CONTACT THEM. I WISH I HAD NOT WASTED THIS LITTLE TIME OUT OF MY LIFE READING YOUR BOASTING AND THEN WASTING MORE TIME TO RESPOND TO IT. IN THE FUTURE IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE ANSWER, TRY NOT TO WASTE PEOPLE'S TIME ON FOOLISHNESS, OKAY?

I actually got a chuckle out of that, and BTW I agree.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Take a chill pill Mike...

The guy that asked the question to begin with has (still) only made 1 (ONE) post to the forum. Obviously looking for a way to personally contact Norm, and not via the PBS contact info (which is easy to find)

Maybe he's harmless, maybe he's not.

How you would like someone that is "not" wanting to track you down?

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Irish Mike:

1. Please switch-off your "Caps Lock" key - people don't enjoy reading anything in all caps; it is construed as 'yelling' - we don't do that here....

2. You have the option of skipping the thread altogether, or avoiding reading anyone's original or subsequent posts. No one is forcing you to read every line of every post. If you feel reading something is a waste of time for you, by all means don't read it!

I agree with you that posts should be on-topic and relevant, and that they should contribute to the discussion at hand. The reply in question was relevant to the discussion, even though you don't feel it contributed much. If you don't think it's worth your time reading, then don't. If you think you've wasted your time by reading a simple reply, then you may need to think again about participating in such discussion forums on the Internet, and about how they work. They are all similar in that there will be a range of levels of 'usefulness' of the threads and posts for every individual - for any one person, some information will be useful, some will not. I would much rather have the information out there for ME to decide what is useful and relevant to me, rather than to have it pre-screened by the 'post police'.

Rob Wallace

Last edited:
Many thanks to all of you who replied

Many thanks Guys,

I appreciate your responses even though I'm no closer to Norm than I was earlier.

Suggested avenues have lead to dead ends, most likely meaning that he wants to be left alone. I can appreciate his quest for privacy -but I'd still like to meet him! If I can't, so be it, I was just trying to make the most of my trip to that part of the USA from Australia. As the Nepalese say, "Ke gar ne"-what to do??

If anyone can contribute another possible passage to Norm, I'd really appreciate it!

Andrew

Back