• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Keep your chuck and faceplate threads clean!

Although I have never had the unfortunate experience of trying to remove an overtightened faceplate or chuck from a spindle, I recently had a spindle/chuck problem that I want to share so others may avoid it. I apologize in advance for the length of the message.

The problem:
Last week, I was rough turning some pieces mounted in my Vicmarc VM120 chuck which I had spun on/off a few times during the evening with no issues. I then go to thread it back onto the spindle and it starts to bind up as the chuck adapter starts over the unthreaded shoulder of the spindle. I unscrew it, using more effort than normal and have a look to see whats going on. The shoulder on the spindle looks a bit scarred so I take a file and gently remove the minute burr that appears to have formed. I then proceed to re-install the chuck and it goes on pretty smooth right up to about 1/16" from seating. It binds up again except this time, as I try to unscrew it, it seizes up solid.

The solution:
After trying a few methods to get it off, each of which resulted in profanity echoing through the shop, I finally accepted that I needed outside help on this problem. I removed the chuck body from the seized adapter and disassembled and removed the spindle completely from the headstock. I then sucked up to the millwright that lives next door for assistance and agreed that destoying the adapter was the only option (far cheaper to replace than the spindle) so he took it to work and machined the adapter off, keeping clear of the spindle thread and shoulder.

The cause:
I needed to determine why this happened at all and this is my conclusion:
I had drilled a 1/2" hole all the way through the last piece of wood I had mounted in the chuck. When the bit broke through on the chuck side it dropped chips into the adapter body. When I removed the chuck, one or more of the tiny chips fell into the adapter threads and when I spun it back on the spindle, the male threads pressed the chips into the internal threads of the adapter, creating a minute off-center misalignment. The inside diameter of the adapter has a very close tolerance to the diameter of the shoulder on the spindle and the misalignment caused it scrape the surface of the shoulder as it went on. For reasons I can't explain, the scraping turned into galling on the spindle, raising a 'splinter' of metal as it went along. When I tried to remove the chuck, the splinter folded over the other direction jamming the adapter to the shoulder (like a undesirable pin chuck). The more I forced it, the tighter it got. Check the attached pictures for the damage (which I have repaired enough to be functional again, but its not pretty).

Prevention:
It is my belief that had I been more diligent in keeping the internal thread of the chuck adapter clean, this problem would have never occurred. Draw your own conclusions, but I will ensure that my chuck and faceplate threads are clean from now on.

Steve

Vicmarc VL175SH and possibly a Delta 46-460 Midi in the near future.

Attachments

• Vic-1.JPG
    Vic-1.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 184
  • Vic-2.JPG
    Vic-2.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Vic-3.JPG
    Vic-3.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 163

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Steve......

Do you mean wood......or, metal chips caused your stuck chuck?

It's hard to imagine that wood chips were the culprit, and caused the binding that ultimately led to the galling......but, stranger things have happened!

=================

This wouldn't have helped your situation, but some time back, I made a wooden block with 1 1/4" hole drilled into it. I use this to cover bare spindle threads when the lathe will not be used for any length of time......rather than allow wood dust to settle on the threads.

ooc

I agree with the importance of keeping those threads clean. Even if the damage you describe was due to some additional debris, other than just wood chips/dust, galling is no joke. I had some galling problems with the MT2 taper on the spindle of my lathe. I made a MT2 tapered hardwood plug (with a little knob at the end to help removing it when necessary) that I keep in the spindle MT when I'm using a chuck or faceplate. That keeps the chunks out of the MT when I sometimes forget to brush away before making a change that uses the MT feather.

ooc,

I believe the wood chips contributed to the misalignment only. The actual seizing of metal on metal started when the adapter contacted the unthreaded 'alignment' shoulder on the spindle. Until that point, the chuck felt normal threading it on.
I have not purchased a replacement adapter yet but when I do I'm going to measure the inside diameter and compare it to the adapters I have on my Oneway chuck. Maybe the Vicmarc adapter I had was machined to too close a fit to the spindle shoulder.

Steve

... Maybe the Vicmarc adapter I had was machined to too close a fit to the spindle shoulder.

Steve

Entirely possible. Especially since Murphy (of Murphy's Law) is our Constant Companion, but not our Loyal Friend.

Machinery's Handbook devotes over 200 pages to Screw Thread Systems, after about 150 years of research and development. Classes of fit (about 5 classes) address the problem of assembly and disassembly of threaded parts. Ironically, as little as 60% engagement is adequate for strength of connections.

A thin plastic washer, e.g. cut from the flat face of a milk bottle, and placed between the spindle shoulder and the hub, can help to assure that the threads carry their share of the load. On lathes without ramp-down braking, rest a thumb on the chuck body or faceplate to keep it from unscrewing. DAMHIKT.:eek:

Joe

Website
www.chakajo.com
Steve,
I'd like to say thank you for putting up this thread. If I hadn't read this I might have had a catastrophe on my hands.

About an hour after going through this thread I opened my 1 1/4x8tpi insert for my chuck. I might not have even checked if I hadn't read this, but I found a nasty burr on the inside threads of the adapter.

If I hadn't ground that off, well, you can imagine what would have happened to the spindle of my brand new 3520b.

Again. Thank you! :D

Oh, and to those who are wondering who would sell me such a poorly machined insert...Nova.

Back