• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Kodachrome vs woodturning

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Kodak announced today that kodacrhome is dead. Sad day for me, I remember it well. I was wondering if we have anything in Woodturning that would be the equivalent. For example, Chestnut trees dying young, Rosewoods' not being available for guitar backs, etc. What do you think?

Old growth lumber as a whole.If you want the tight grained heavy figure that only comes from old trees you have to be rich or find an old barn or train station that is being torn down.I remember Elm trees and now at least in Pa.there is something killing Ash off.Maybe I'll invent a digital lathe.:cool2:

I see Kodachrome as equivalent to the wood revealed by taking away the parts not required. Photoshop (digital) as the person who did it.

I liked Kodachrome. It was warmer, though slower than Ektachrome. More like life as we'd prefer it, relaxed and seen through a bit of rose, though not hiding any detail

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Kodak announced today that kodacrhome is dead. Sad day for me, I remember it well. I was wondering if we have anything in Woodturning that would be the equivalent. For example, Chestnut trees dying young, Rosewoods' not being available for guitar backs, etc. What do you think?

Egads, what's next? No more apple pie? Or ... no more Albuquerque Balloon Festival?

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Yea and now that Ed McMahon and Paul Harvey are gone a whole erra is done.

I really won't miss them. But it is funny, I shot motor sports, surfing and skateboarding or years, lots and lots of Kodachrome. But haven't loaded a role of film in probably 5 years.
Since 1987 I have been overly enthusiastic about the digital role for video and still photography and just moved in that direction.

But you can't have my lathe or wood, sorry.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
It certainly caused a pause in my thoughts as I listened to the news that Kodacrome would be discontinued. I had heard it was pending, but it was still a bit of a shock.

I grew up in the Photo business. My father was a Pro from the late 1930's until he finally closed his studio in the late 90's (yes, over 50 years). He certainly saw a lot of changes in those years.

Photography did a lot for paying for my college, between processing film and taking photo-shoot jobs.

In the early years, there was processing people's shots from Brownie's, taking Portraits, School Groups, Copying “old†photo’s, Weddings, etc. As the years past, Schools no longer wanted school groups, rather they wanted individual portraits. Portrait photography switched to color. Weddings switched to Movies, then Video. Lastly photography stared going strictly digital. Towards the end of the 80’s and early 90’s about the only thing my father was still doing was copying old photographs. Even that was disappearing as people added scanners to their computers.

Just a few weeks after he closed the studio down, I bought my first digital camera. I called him and told him that it was a good thing he had, as I had just helped put “old†photography out of business, by starting the switch to Digital.

Today the only film cameras I have is the collection of “old†cameras I added to after I inherited the collection from my father, Brownies, Autographic, Speed Graphics, an original Kodak Instamatic, etc.

TTFN
Ralph

Website
www.abhats.com
I too spent a lot of money in my younger days on things to expose film and develop it, and have a lot of great photos from back then. All the grief and time was occasionally worth it, but I've found Photoshop, Photo XP or just about any mid-range digital image manipulator will produce almost anything you want from a decent digital image. Today's under $1k cameras are capable of producing poster and larger sized film quality images.

I loved Kodachrome, but I also loved many other things that have gone away. Someone once wrote that "you can never go home", meaning time passing makes changes all by itself.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have yet to see a digital image that will match what I did with kodachrome and Cibachrome prints. I did use some pretty advanced printing techniques with negative masks etc. I shot mostly 4x5 on e-6 films and digital hasn't even come close to those. I hear your claim all the time but I'll put my old prints up against anything I've seen digital wise.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
John,

I think going digital has already hit woodturning!
Photos and slides are quite interwoven with woodturning.

5 years ago very few juried shows allowed digital images.
now very few accept slides.

In the AAW sympsoium planning we are discouraging slides.
it costs extra to rent slide projectors and you can only show them on 1 screen.

happy turning

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Al I agree digital is the way to go for what we do here. It is tough for those of us who aren't computer people. I can easily photograph work and produce the digital file but I still can't put together a presentation of digital images. I will have to learn the program and we all know how well all the instructions are written. If someone had to build a rocket based on the literature written by computer experts we would still be on the ground and not on the moon.

Website
www.abhats.com
I still can't wrap my head around Twitter and don't care to text (more because my thumbs don't work like they used to), but since I started out maintaining vacuum tube computers, using software to manipulate things comes more natural. Even a good point and shoot digital image can be changed into something very surprising if you try.

Unchanging change

It is indeed a sad end of an era. I too pushed hundreds of feet of Kodachrome through my cameras, and will miss it, but change is constant. And while they are beautiful, not many people are still sketching with burnt umber on cave walls.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have yet to see a digital image that will match what I did with kodachrome and Cibachrome prints. I did use some pretty advanced printing techniques with negative masks etc. I shot mostly 4x5 on e-6 films and digital hasn't even come close to those. I hear your claim all the time but I'll put my old prints up against anything I've seen digital wise.

You don't happen to have a scanner for 4x5 do you? I have a bunch of negatives I need to digitize so I don't have to go near a darkroom anymore.

Hi John, digital killed film. Automated lathes killed turning as a profession. CNC equipment ensured that. Once upon a time, there was demand for full-time turners as a profession; usually the best cabinetmakers became turners.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Steve I don't have a scanner for film at all. I am considering building a light box and simply photographing some of my negatives and transparencies. A scanner is better but I've heard that photographing them with my 10 meg camera will work decently. I guess I'll find out. We do have a scanner at work but I don't have time to use it and it would cost to much to actually have it done.

John

One of the reasons that you haven’t see a digital image that will match what you did is that most people shoot with the equivalent of 35mm SLR's for high end prints – many of them with very expensive SLR’s - that would be like comparing what you did with your 4x5 with a film 35mm – no matter how good the 35mm was it was never a 4x5 - they don’t compare - there are medium and large format digital cameras out there (mostly from the same companies that made your 4x5 print type back then - such as Hasselblad) Those pictures and with a person that has the skills to use photoshop like you could do your printing - they do make pictures that are as good or better than what you could do back then.

It's just not cheap - the cameras or the software

Oh and there are home scanners out there for your 4x5 negatives and they arent that badly priced - I believe the HP Scanjet G4050 can do it and has a built in Transparency adapter that can do 4x5 negs (as well as your 35mm stuff)- and it can be found for under $200 these days

Last edited:
Digital shots of slides still count?

When I can't seem to want to do anything else in the winter time, I have been shooting digital images of 35+ year old slides of kids etc. with my 7 year old Nikon Coolpix 995. So Kodachrome lives on at least on my hard drive! And I have the song on my iTouch, one of my all time favorites.

Website
www.ispinwood.com
As much as I loved Kodachrome I now love my 10 megapixel camera and Photoshop. I’m sure they’ll disappear some day too. It doesn’t necessarily mean that what is new is better; just new and different and something else to move the economy along. Hey, I still play vinyl records as I have a collection of about 1000. That’s a sound that I prefer because my ear was trained by it. Yes, I play tapes and CD’s too but haven’t yet fallen to one of those little IPod thingies to download music with.

- Scott

I did a lot of Kodachrome 4x5 (Speed graphic) work in years past and I agree with MMs view of the richness of it's color reproduction qualities. One of my more memorable shots of a 300 member high school marching band dressed in red, white and black uniforms still hangs on display at the school (it's been there for 20+ years) and the colors are still vibrant in the 30x24 inch print.
My feelings for what's disappeared from the long life of wood turning is the hand made tools that wood turners were forced to create when commercial wood turning tools were less available; or not available at all.
I have a few of those old tools, most of them have gotten shorter over time, and they offer a bit of nostalgia to my turning experiences when I use them

Back