• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gift Giving

I'm used to signing bowls, vases, etc., but I'm wondering how you deal with pens. More specifically, when giving a pen to someone as a gift, boxed, etc., how do you folks indicate that you turned the pen, identify the wood, etc.?

I'm still a newbee when it comes to giving things away or selling them.

Thanks

I've thought about this my self, but I dont have an answer. I used my engraver to put a signature in the clip of one pen but wasn't to enthused with the results. All clips and bands aren't suiable for engraving either. I also thought about using a wood burning pen to sign the wood but this seems like their would be an easier way. My latest thought is to have a local trophy and placard shop take a look at some of my pens and see if their equipment would be able to engrave a trade-mark on them for me.

I'm glad you've posted this question and and hope that we can get some good answers.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I don't do pens, but have you guys thought of getting a little branding iron with a stylized logo brand......? It could be made very small to suit your needs. It could also be made using your initials, or something like what ranchers cooked up for a branding iron.....example: Rocking J, etc......using a little imagination, one could come up with some little design that would be symbolic of your work, and your work exclusively.....very personal.

For my bowls, I use a woodburning pen, but I've got plenty of room to do that.

ooc

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
There are a couple of very fine woodburning tips (I use 0.4mm tip). That and a pair of mag-eyes allows me to sign them under the clip (I claim no credit for Kirk DeHeer taught it to me)

Website
www.ispinwood.com
I have given away many pens but I don’t sign them. I provide a small printed card with information about the wood and my name. Pens are very personal objects and the owners know where they got them. They’ll talk up your name without having to have it emblazoned on the device. I also provide a slip of paper with instructions for replacing the ink cartridge. Many people don’t realize that these pens are refillable.

- Scott

Unless you're giving pens to pen collectors, a small printed card should be satisfactory, with filling instructions, like Scott suggests.

I've given about 50 pairs of birdhouse earrings to friends, neighbors, and relatives, taped to a printed paper sheet, folded to create an envelope. Thus far, they're in two Canadian provinces, several of the United States, and even Russia.

Attachments

• Card.JPG
    Card.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 40
Thanks

Thanks for your replies. These are good ideas. I especially like the small card idea because I didn't necessarily want my name on the pen. On some, I've thought of having the recipient's name engraved on it, but so far haven't done that. A small brand is also a good idea I'll look into.

Most towns/cities will have a trophy shop and if your in a big enough town one of them will have a laser engraver. You might give them a shout and see about having some laser engraving done. This should be done after the final finish is applied to the pen.

Good luck!

I have only given a couple as gifts an put a personal message on the box, I don't know how they can do it but the wooden boxes are cheap and gives you more space for what ever message you want to send.

I provide a business card with a note on the back saying it was handmade from xxx wood. Makes it easy for friends and relatives to drop me an email note (or make a referral to someone who admires and wants one too).

I do the same, the back of my card has a line for wood, common name, and scientific, country of origin and style of pen and type of refill. as well a pen number, this cost an extra 15.00 per 500 cards but it's a very nice touch.
and brings business back for Ink and refills. I put a card in each box whether it's a gift I give or a gift someone is buying I've gotten several nice sales from gift recipients.
(Not that I'm in this for the money, I'm a purist artisan I doan need no stinkin Money)

Back