• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Forum Picture Test

Wish to determine if this forum will allow one to post the same picture more than once. Just ignore me.

Attachments

• KnotCup1 - Copy.JPG
    KnotCup1 - Copy.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 56
On another forum, also using VBulletin, a user complained about NOT being able to re-post the same picture; substantially because of database conflicts. This could be a "local" option.

To see how it's handled here, list YOUR "attachments" under My Settings. The second picture may have simply over-written the first, with the same filename.

Or, wait for a moderator to enlighten it all.

FWIW, the current picture posting method and restrictions for this forum are explained in this FAQ.

If you check the "Properties" of each thumbnail (which represents a larger image), you'll see there's a difference and further checking reveals each time another copy is uploaded (the forum software doesn't "know" the difference--if any--between one image and another), it's more space redundantly used that must be supplied and maintained--disk space, database, backups, etc. Individually insignificant perhaps, but a scalable cost nonetheless.

Unfortunately (and perhaps for unstated reasons--there are other considerations) the option is not offered here, but ordinarily if you have an image already hosted somewhere and openly viewable, most forums based on the vBulletin software (used here) provide an "Insert Image" option that inserts some code (see below) somewhat similar to a regular "link", which tells your browser to display an image and where that image is located.

<image src="http://icreek.com/stove/howto/5_480.jpg" alt="Insert Image Button example">

If enabled, instead of the above code, everyone's browser would display an image from any site as if it were part of the current site's page.

Joe, That was probably me on the other forum. What I suggested to the moderators/administrators is that when the software identifies a picture already in storage, it could/should simply and seamlessly insert the original picture that it already has. This would avoid using duplicate or multiple storage space for the same picture. The two forums use different versions of the software, and what I suggested may not be possible in either version.

From time to time the moderators/administrators do ask for comments and suggestions for improving the forum. So I made a suggestion.

Edit: Nice picture Jock.

Last edited:
Richard (Texian), the bloke I had in mind is one of the Ozzies. That forum has different options set.

The FAQ that Rick M cites asserts a lower file size than what is now allowed. Maybe the FAQs aren't keeping up with changes in the software. There's nothing new about that, of course; in the construction game, we always had trouble coordinating the plans and the specifications.

A disadvantage of outside sourcing, is that the outside source isn't in synch with the forum. If the outside source vanishes, so does the image. How the image is displayed is immaterial. Although it may seem to be redundant storage, placing images in the forum itself maintains integrity.

There's a VBulletin forum dedicated to VBulletin itself. You can find it via Google, but unless you're more of a computer nerd than a woodturner or anything else, you'll learn more than you ever wanted to know.

Thanks Joe. Am definitely not a computer nerd, and dislike posting photos elsewhere (photobucket?) and linking to them. So I never post pictures on a couple of the forums where this is required. Am lucky just to find them in my own computer, never mind in some online storage place.

Back