• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck Choice for Old Sears 1236

Someone gave my son an old Sears 1236 bench top lathe. He has cleaned it up, put a used motor on it and now wants a chuck for it. I am thinking the Nova G3 would probably be a good choice so he wouldn't have to spend a lot of cash. I don't know how old the lathe is but it does work (with a 3/4 x 16 spindle). Any ideas?

I own two Wood Craft chucks. They have inserts for the 3/4 X 16 spindles. I have an old tube type Sears and the chucks fit. Not expensive but really serviceable. I use another insert for a 1 X 8 spindle. They do double duty that way. I will by another insert so I can use the chucks on larger spindles.

The oneway talon is 3/4 by 16 with insert.

While not modern and mechanical, 3/4 by 16 nylock nuts make a good back for a glue block and you can make a hundred or so of them for the price of a chuck.

Add a starret parting tool (high tension hack saw) from little machine shop (on sale) for $20 and you can do a lot.

The brand and model of the lathe have little to do with the choice. The only critical consideration is the length of the spindle thread to the seating surface (short enough to seat, but add a thin plastic washer).

From there, make a choice with the best combination of add-ons, like more jaw sets.

Back