• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Live from Utah, it's day two

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Yesterday I learned the UVU center has free WiFi, so, here I am waiting for it do be dinner time

First rotation for me was Richard Raffan. on turned boxes, again this was largely a rehash of the work I have already seen from him, so I actually left and wandered about.

The second section was by Mike Mahoney, where he was turning a thin walled bowl, and telling stories about the other presenters at the Symposium. He had several good ones, but the best bit was as he was getting to the end of the bowl, where it was scary thin, who starts walking in but the presenters he was telling stories about, Hans Weissflog Stuart Batty, Richard Raffan and several others I didn’t recognize off hand. But they weren’t there to hear him tell stories, they were there to see if they could watch him blow up the bowl. Along with taunting him about how he was doing it and egging him into going thinner.

Except he didn’t blow the bowl up.

The third rotation was Tom Edwards on methods of saving and rescuing cracked or failed wood. Very interesting and useful

The final rotation was from Stuart on sharpening tools, it’s always interesting getting another view point on how to, and how not to sharpen tools.

Right now we are on the “pre-dinner†break. They will be serving us rubber chicken (or some other delight), while we listen to the presenters tell stores about each other.

TTFN
Ralph

Last edited:
Your reports are making me feel like I'm not missing anything. Funny, after me posting about driving to symposium and this one being a mere 5 hours away.

Keep up the posts. I'd also be interested in hearing what you see when walking around both inside and out. Anything interesting from vendors?

Thanks for the updates.
Burt

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
The big thing, for me, was talking with the owner of Easy Rougher and learning how it works, and how to use to use it.

The other fun thing was the hands-on. I got to practice with a Coring system and learn then the burning pen I use has a new tip, that is half the size of the old ones.

That and they also has me sign "the bowl" (at Treeline?), which is signed by every turner they could talk into it, both last and this year. The joke was, in 100 years, here will be this bowl, signed by some of the best (and least) known turners of the early 21st Century.

Oh . I see .
And no chance of down loading them on to someone else's laptop via the memory card huh.
Ah well , I look forward to looking at them when you can resolve the problem.
cheers ,
Jock

Back