• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Have you ever...

gone out to the shop in your bathrobe and slippers and picked up the chisels and turned? Had to empty your robe pockets of wood chips? Take off your robe discreetly and shake the chips out of it before going back into the house? Had to brush the chips out of your slippers so you didn't track them all over the carpets? At 2:00AM? More times than I like to admit!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
gone out to the shop in your bathrobe and slippers and picked up the chisels and turned? Had to empty your robe pockets of wood chips? Take off your robe discreetly and shake the chips out of it before going back into the house? Had to brush the chips out of your slippers so you didn't track them all over the carpets? At 2:00AM? More times than I like to admit!

Ha, ha, ha, ha! The answer is.....yes! :D

Do you mean I'm not really as crazy nuts as I thought I was all these years?

Maybe we should all lay down on couches, in a group session, while some psychologist tries to find out what our "problem" is........Heh,heh,heh!

"My name is Odie, and I'm a lathe-o-holic". ;)

ooc

Or gone downstairs before bed to put the last load in the dryer, check the lights, or throw a few logs in the furnace and find yourself turning in your bare feet and boxer shorts? Not me. :cool2:

Looked on the internet to figure out why I was having platters explode on me when using a large scraper . Finally found out at 11 pm. Loaded the webpage and youtube video on to the laptop , drove 10 miles across town to the workshop , reground the scraper , and started practising on rough timber . At 7 am. , with a 300mm pine plate all ready for light sanding and finishing
I went home to bed .

The only tool I used the whole session was the 25mm scraper :cool2:

But I do Not have an obsession OK :p

Or had the wife look for you for 2 hours after everyone else was in bed. Because you got an idea to help on your latest project. She found me by using my cell number. Must remember to leave it in the house next time.

This is too funny. And we wonder sometimes how those little shavings ever ended up in the bed.:p

As I walk up to the podium I state my name is Paul, the gathering in unison say Hi Paul. I have turned in my Pj's and slippers, please help me.

Last edited:
As I walk up to the podium I state my is Paul, the gathering in unison say Hi Paul. I have turned in my Pj's and slippers, please help me.

...Then the group hands you a gouge and a face shield, points you to a lathe, and says "Here Paul, this will help." :D

Although 2:00 AM is a pretty common shop time for me, I have been known to get sanding dust and shavings on my PJs right before bedtime. :rolleyes:

The shop is there. The wood is there. Nothing else is expected of me. 2 AM Friday night is a great time to turn. Turning is just my hobby. I don't think I could do it more than 70 hours a week.

Marc Himes

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't stay up that late but I do get up really early. However all of my neighbors could easily see me walk to my shop if they were up so I had better put something presentable on.

If it weren't for late night/early morning turning sessions, I wouldn't know how weird a.m. talk radio could be.

Also, if can't see any wood chips on the rug in my kitchen, I know that it has been too long since I've turned anything.

Matt

Tim,

Are you trying to make it sound like a bad thing ? Maybe somehow unusual ? I don't happen to find it strange at all-really-honest-not strange at all-normal even. Yeah, that's it-normal-yeah-really. I don't have a problem, I can quit anytime I want to-really-honest-really. I don't need help-honest-really. I just do it for fun, because I like it-really-honest-really. No, seriously, I don't have a problem-honest-really-no problem at all-really.:eek::eek::D

Since I work "nights" I only get home at 2:30 am by 3am I'm in the shop turning... It's funny because when people see how engrossing turning can be it makes them wonder. I tell them that this is one activity that you don't have to concentrate on but all your thoughts are on just what you are doing.
With other shop activities, many times you are thinking about the next step.
Not with turning... I find it to be one of the best stress relievers ever.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
If it weren't for late night/early morning turning sessions, I wouldn't know how weird a.m. talk radio could be.

Ha, ha, ha!........You mean you don't believe aliens are abducting us for their evil experiements? :D

ooc

I was up at 1am last night........turning!

Back